Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extension Cords ? Surge, Switch, Powerline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension Cords ? Surge, Switch, Powerline?

Hi All,

Next to my computer I have two plug points in easy reach. In one is my powerline/homeplug and the other has a 6-way extension cord.

1. I understand some extension cords are compatible with powerline adapters ? is this true? I read it somewhere online yesterday (god knows where), but can't find any evidence of this in online shops?
    2. I would ideally like up to 12-way cord (especially because I only have one socket). Are there surge protectors with individual switches and this many ways? I want individual switches for my printers/scanner because they all have PSUs (which I assume are needlessly drawing power 95% of the time (I don't use them frequently).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I have an additional Q...

When I start my computer up (hackintosh) in the morning (and when woken from sleep, I think), through my homeplug, it generates a 'self-assigned IP'. I have googled this problem, but it doesn't really help me. I know this is something to do with the homeplug because the solution is to turn it (the homeplug) off and back on again.

Can anyone think of a more elegant solution to this problem so I don't have to crawl under my desk every morning? Could there be a router setting or something? I tried a plug timer but that didn't make any difference (probably because when it comes on there's no computer connected).

I may try leaving my computer on overnight in sleep mode...

Comment

A pole long enough for you to reach the thing...or setting the OS to always use an IP, don't know where you do this on a Mac. However, from your post, it sounds like that the homeplug isn't completely "transparent" in terms of networking. I assume you have a DHCP server active on your router or somewhere else in your network, right? You'll also might want to allocate an IP to your PC's MAC address before forcing the IP via the computer.

Comment

Powerline adapters have worked in every extension block I've ever used, from Poundland devices through to some stupid ?100 Monster one that Currys threw in when i bought a TV off them. I think it really comes down to the distance and number of connections between the devices.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
          A pole long enough for you to reach the thing...or setting the OS to always use an IP, don't know where you do this on a Mac. However, from your post, it sounds like that the homeplug isn't completely "transparent" in terms of networking. I assume you have a DHCP server active on your router or somewhere else in your network, right? You'll also might want to allocate an IP to your PC's MAC address before forcing the IP via the computer.
          I did try manual address, but I end up with the same scenario where it doesn't allocate subnet mask or work out router address. I assume the fact the router uses DHCP to determine IP addresses happily in all other scenarios answers your question about a server?

I could have a look in the router settings to apply IP to Mac address. What determines the MAC – is it the network card (which in my case is on the mobo GA-Z87N)?

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Powerline adapters have worked in every extension block I've ever used, from Poundland devices through to some stupid ?100 Monster one that Currys threw in when i bought a TV off them. I think it really comes down to the distance and number of connections between the devices.
          Ah... I suppose I'm reluctant because I bought the thing due to WiFi issues on my Macbook and had had enough of crappy connections.

It's a BT Broadband Extender 200.
          Last edited by egparadigm; 26-08-2014, 11:15.

Comment

OK, I found the setting on the router to reserve the address. Interesting – never knew about that sort of setting. Would have been really helpful back when I used Xbox Live port forwarding – always ended up getting address conflicts!

Comment

On the power supply I went with this one, despite lack of switches. There didn't seem to be one that covered all the bases, frustratingly. I did find this one, but I was concerned about whether it would fit in my cable tray/gutter.

Has anyone ever seen an adapter which can add a power switch? I have a timer which can do this job, but it's a bit OTT considering I don't need/want a timer. What are they called?

Comment

Working...
              X