Thinking of getting a new phone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of getting a new phone...

My iPhone 4 has been something of a workhorse for 4 years now. It still works reasonably well, but my partner's phone is dying and I might give it to her and maybe get something new.

So I have a few requirements.

• Cost-effectiveness. I don't want a top-of-the-line phone. Smartphone gaming's over for me, now - no interest. I'd prefer something with a very fast interface.
    • Not to bothered about Apple. I love my iPhone 4, and do like Apple's handheld devices - but I don't have that much purchased via their digital storefronts, so I'm not too bothered about losing it. That being said, if I can use iTunes to manage my music on a new phone, I'd be interested in that.
    • Would prefer memory card slots or very large storage sizes. After having a 16gb phone for several years, I would entertain the idea of something with very high storage sizes. I mean can newer phones go up to 1tb these days?
    • Must have a good camera. I use the camera on my phone a lot. Ideally it should be as good as a decent point-and-shoot camera, maybe even with a good flash. The iPhone 4's wasn't terrible but it's not great.
    • Good battery life. It'd be nice if it'd last 2 full days between charges, if necessary, though that's probably asking too much/depends too much on usage characteristics.
    • Hardy. I prefer a device that's indestructible over one that looks nice.
    • Size comparable to iPhone 4. No phablets. Must fit in the pocket of a pair of jeans.
    • Must have a decent appstore for the main apps - As I said before, don't care about games, but I will want Tumblr, eBay, Amazon etc - though I guess that'll be fine on Apple/Windows/Android these days

Also, I don't want a GooglePlus account, if that's a requirement for Android users these days. It'll really count against Android devices.

What would people recommend? Also, what pitfalls etc. are there with migrating away from Apple to something else?

EDIT: Also, my iPhone 4 lives permanently in one of these: http://www.yourgadgetguide.net/wp-co...Phone_4-4S.jpg

If the phone recommended supports a variant of this case by Griffin, then that's a plus.

This place might be better for answering your question, especially on today of all days.

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

There are some peeps on here who proper know their stuff so you'll get plenty info. Purely from personal experience, I'm more wary of the Galaxy S line than I used to be.

I had a Galaxy S2 for two years and loved it, was much like having a sexier iPhone but the missus and friends have had the S3 and S4 since and there's been screen and plenty battery issues with them. Not sure it that reflects the line as a whole but it's made me question the S5 etc especially given Samsungs focus has started to steer away from it and more toward the Note/Edge models.

For the last year I've had the XperiaZ and adore it. If I absolutely cane the net via 4G, msging apps etc I can still easily get 2 days battery out of it and a few months back I wasn't using it barely as I was ill and the charge only dropped about 30% over a period of near 4 weeks. It is closer to the phablet size but it's thin and always fits in my pockets still. Has a 20.7mp camera that seems to have plenty photo options/editing options in it, my missus thinks its much better at them than her 12mp camera so it should be a clear step from the iPhone's. You should be able (should you end up leaning that way) to get a decent offer on them too. Sony is already up to the Z3 yet there's nothing worthwhile changed, it's even the same size and camera spec. I don't use a case/cover either and only have a couple of hairline scratches on the rear. It can operate underwater too. I think there's a few similar quality rival phones though so I'd definitely weigh the options but some affordable superior phones will definitely be options for you.

Comment

Is that the phone that's totally waterproof? Random thing to mention, but didn't they put one of the Sony models in a fishtank and call it onstage?

I assume it runs Android?

Comment

GTA San Andreas Under Water Sony Xperia Z1

Comment

The good old days when all phones could do was to place calls and text.. and that 2D snake.

Comment

Probably good to keep it in a container of water to dissipate the heat that thing must be kicking off.

Comment

You're gonna need a Google log in but sounds like the Nexus 5 is for you @ around ?280

Comment

Yeah good call. Nexus 5 is great. You need a case for it though: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Working...
                  X