Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Get The Back Off A Sony Viao Desktop

Hi,

I want to take out a DVD ROM Drive and replace it with a DVD RW drive. How do I get the case apart? I can't seem to work out what to do. I don't want to just start pulling things apart.

Thanks
    Pete

I think theres only 3 screws. One at the top in the middle, and two at the bottom on either side. Easy to get off, bit trickier to get back on i found.

Comment

A lefthanded screwdriver...

A hammer..

And a Welding Torch..

Comment

Originally posted by Ravon
        A lefthanded screwdriver...

A hammer..

And a Welding Torch..
        Tell me about it. I have now got the side off. But I can not see a way of getting the current DVD Drive out so I can put the new one in. Reminds me of the old packard bell days!!

Comment

Use the hammer to smash everything in sight, the dvd drive should just pop out.. place the new one on top of the pile of metal infront of you and use the welding torch to melt it all back together... At this point you may not need the LH Screwdriver as the screws are now no longer visible...

Job done...

Comment

Do you work at Comet

Comment

What ever could you mean...... I work at PC World the finest Computer company on gods green earth....

No i dont work at any foul company.....

Comment

OK well apart from blasting it open does anyone know how I can get the DVD Drive out? To recap the side is open and that's about it. It's all put in very tight and there are no screws I can see to undo.

Comment

i work at pc service call the finest support company on gods green earth eh ravon?

ill pull up the diags tommorrow at work and see what i can find

Comment

First remove a small rectangle wire (power cable) (quite tough to pull out on some pc's give it a wiggle) you need a bit of force on it... then pull out the big long ribbon (ide cable) of the DVD Drive.

Then look for either clips on the DVD Drive, or small screws into the DVD Drive, the DVD drive should be in a kind of metal bracket/casing. You can either look for screws if it isnt there which I severely doubt, take the over side off and check there, then if its screw/clip free then you should be able to push it OUT of the case (forwards from inside).

Then check on your DVD Writer for the jumper settings (jumpers are little plastic clips that slot over connectors to specify a setting of some kind) instructions on what is what should be either etched into the top of the DVD Writer or the back, maybe the manual if you got one. If you only have one of the big long ribbons (ide cable) then check the settings on your Hard Drive / Other CD Drive. Basically you must make sure that one of them is set on Master, and one is Slave, your choice what way, but you must not place two of the same on one big long ribbon (ide cable), then place your DVD Writer into the same place your DVD Drive was.

Then you should have screws with your DVD Writer, which you should put into the DVD Writer through the slit in the bracket, so it tightens in and doesn't fall out, then continue to insert the small rectangle wire (power cable) and the big long ribbon (ide cable). Then refit your PC, make sure everything is in place as it was when you left it, and then put your case back together.

Power ON! Then you should see at the beginning devices detected such as

IDE-0 [IDE0-HDDIBMDESKSTAR40]
                    IDE-1 [IDE1-DVDRWMSI8X]

or something that gives you notice that there is at least a Device connected to the cable.... then you should boot Windows/Linux or whatever as normal.

Hopefully my guide was simple enough for you to follow, and my terms were easy enough (big long ribbon :P)

If you have any questions feel free to email me or PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Destrukticor
                      i work at pc service call the finest support company on gods green earth eh ravon?

ill pull up the diags tommorrow at work and see what i can find
                      Man you people piss us in store peeps off !!!

What bit do you work for ??

The restore line or tech 2k ???

Comment

Thanks Fragmaster I will give it a go when I get a day off work!

Comment

lol tech 2k

restore line im afraid

but i dont deal with hardware line anymore
                          just software line for me
                          scanners prnters and the odd bin and cue file which of course i know nothing about.

Also this site is banned from there you know...

Comment

Originally posted by Destrukticor
                            lol tech 2k

restore line im afraid

but i dont deal with hardware line anymore
                            just software line for me
                            scanners prnters and the odd bin and cue file which of course i know nothing about.

Also this site is banned from there you know...
                            lol, who got it banned then ehh

Im a Tech instore, wonder if ive ever spoken to you (well apart from on live )

Comment

Working...
                            X