Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XRGB3+ to TV with no VGA

Guys,

My plan for a new telly might be coming to fruition soon & this means that I might have to get rid of the Plasma

Now this leaves me with a little dilemma

I have the XRGB3 which I will most likely be using for all my retro stuff, now this one outputs via VGA which is fine on the Plasma as it has a VGA in but the current crop of telly's I'm looking at have all dropped the VGA option

So what options do I have to connect it now?

I can't afford to get an Mini with the HDMI output so would one of those VGA to Component or HDMi converters be up to the job?

In an ideal world I'll keep the Plasma too but that may not be feasible so looking for other ideas first.

Neil

The XRGB3 also has DVI output, if you can live without scanlines.
    A VGA to HDMI converter should do the job, but I'm not 100% sure due to the XRGB3's temperamental nature. Surely a Mini is the best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      The XRGB3 also has DVI output, if you can live without scanlines.
      A VGA to HDMI converter should do the job, but I'm not 100% sure due to the XRGB3's temperamental nature. Surely a Mini is the best choice.
      Thanks Luca.

I'll give it a try first.
      Don't really want to spunk another ?200+ for the Mini when the 3 is capable enough for my needs

Neil

Comment

I was going to create a separate thread, but it looks like this is a suitable place to ask:
        Dreamcast scanlined VGA out converted to Component is this achievable, using a VGA TO 3 RCA lead?

Comment

IIRC, it depends if the monitor/TV can accept RGB over component and not just YcBcR.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
            IIRC, it depends if the monitor/TV can accept RGB over component and not just YcBcR.
            Thanks bri! Would VGA to HDMI be a more feasible option?

Comment

I guess so, never used one of those converters though.

Comment

I get blackouts with the XRGB mini playing NTSC N64 games. I was told that it's due to lag when switching between 240p and 480i? Is there a way around this? I was told that the XRGB3 will not have any black screens when switching.

Comment

When the Mini switches resolution (either input or output) it does the HDMI handshake all over, and the first firmwares were incredibly slow; the situation improved (a lot) in the last updates, but re-shakes are still an issue; if you'r enot running the latest firmware, I suggest to try that.
                  The XRGB3 doesn't have blackouts because it doesn't have to go through the HDMI handshakes, but it's much harder to set up than the Mini.

How are you connecting the N64, and with which games? With a universal NTSC with RGB mod I never experienced blackouts within a game.

Comment

Vga converters at the lower end tend to default to 16:9 ratio, so unless your TV can aspect ratio switch at your control your retro goodness will be tarnished.

Comment

Working...
                    X