Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on going to Japan (For Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on going to Japan (For Games)

Has any body been to japan recently on a games trip. If so could you please tell me all you know, as i am going there late next year and could do with some advise on where the best places are to go.

If anybody has any maps, prices or places to stay and so on it would be greatly appreciated.

planning a year in advance, that is good young grasshopper. for such a trip takes much planning, and more caffeine intake than is recomended by the surgeon general.

Ive got some very good Akihabara maps, and some general info, Im off to grab some supper now, but leave your email, or PM it to me, and Ill send as much info with the maps as poss when I get back online.

Comment

Its probably worth doing a search on here. Theres a aki thread at least once a week it seems.

Half the fun is finding back alley shops!

Comment

hi all, Im back!
        For supper I had: friend sausage and green beans, with some Thai rice, very nice indeed.

anyway, the question is a bit vague, though I do have a nice map of the akihabara should you want it, and should you be going to Tokyo.

Where are you going?

On my second trip to Japan, I funded it myself, mostly by working 12 hour days in factory number 7 with chainsaw, not pleasant, but worth it in the end.

Some general advice.

Check transport and accomadation long in advance, you dont want to be caught short. I stayed at the Juyoh hotel in one of tokyos seediest areas, second cheapest hotel in tokyo, filled with interesting people. From what I saw, there really isnt a problem with crime, or cleanliness.

Work out PRECISELY how cash you have to spend. Then divide this up, giving generously to your food and travel allowance. Trust me, should you end up with ?50 spare on the last day, youll no doubt find ways to treat yourself.

Seperate cash into various groups. I had Food, travel, accomadation and fun money.

Unless you plan on travelling the islands, do not get a JR-Line pass. If you do want to travel well beyond the city your staying in, get one.

A JR-Line pass CAN ONLY be bought abroad, its specially for tourists. You CANNOT get in Japan, its basically a go-anywhere pass and costs a bomb. Usefull if you plan on going long distances.

If you only plan to travel say in tokyo, (trust me, its so huge youll find everything from gaming to ancient temples within 5 minutes of tube time), youll only need to buy tickets as you need them. I did, and it was quite cheapish.

Search out cheap plane deals.

Use the map that Ill be sending you via email.

This next bit is tricky:
        do not only go for games, try to take in at least 2 other sites.
        I recomend in Tokyo, Asaksa and the Ginza, especially early evening. Very nice.

Under no circumstances visit Shibuya, it may look cool in JSR, but youll either end up getting mugged, followed by hookers, or both. (I kid you not, I only saved myself by diving into a local apartment store/health spa building)

Dont ever use food money on games, I know it can exciting on your first day, but I ended up missing lunch once in order to purchase that extra special item.

For good lunch, follow the sarary-men, or businessmen. Youll see long neat cues going into quiet little buildings, more often than not a great place to get cheap and delicious meals. (ginza had a nice businessmens hangout hidden away near a kabuki theatre, with a big meal for about ?4-ish)

Learn some phrases, itll help a great deal looking for killer deals.

Do not be afraid to wander down little alleys, as long as its not dark. There is very little crime, and if its board daylight with people everywhere youll be fine.
        Some of the best deals can be found hidden away. if you see it on the mainstreet, its either not an indipendant shop, or its prices are high.
        But wander round the corner, and down some stairs, and through a big door, then up some more stairs, and you might find a shop with games at half price of the other stores.

Make a concise list of what you want, and try to avoid impulse purchases.
        They are a sure way to drop your cash to zero.

Try not to fill it out with drivvle, when I first started, I ended up with like 25 PC-engine games written down.
        Make a detailed list, of a few games you REALLY want.
        Id say, 70% of fun money towards listed items, the rest on impulse buys like capsule stuff, and famitsu issues.

Trust me, if its Japanese, and you want it, youll find it, in Tokyo at least. There is no such thing as a game not for sale, even MG2SS on the MSX2 can be found. If you look and ask hard enough.

If you see a great deal, try not to be tempted to look for a better deal, I once lost a Saturn copy of Metal Slug with RAM cart for ?39.99 due to looking for cheaper deals.

ASK THE SHOPKEEPERS! Not all the games are always on display, and sometimes that ocean of Kanji can waer your brain out. Ask, and theyll politely point the game out to you, until you do like me, asking for the 100th time without buying.

Try not to buy with the intention of re-selling.
        I once spent 3 days trying to seek out Saturn bargains, and it drove me nuts, in the end I decided to shop for what I wanted, and gifts for friends.

Keep searching, old games can be found for dirt cheap.
        I once found a mint copy of saturn grandia for ?2, and a NeoGeo cartridge system with no control pad or cables for around the ?20-ish mark. (I swear it was 18, but maybe memory fails me)

If it doesnt have cables or leads or controllers, its price will be greatly reduced.

if it has a scratch, you can sometimes get 40% off its standard price.
        (princess crown, 1 mint copy, 1 copy with a light "nick" in it. nearly half price with the nick, but it played just fine and dandy)

When I went 4 years ago, CD's in my pockets and under my shirt did NOT set off Airport metal detectors. If you try this, tell me the results, I had a debate with another user if this was possible. Maybe they changed detector sensitivity since then.

Do try and get some good sightseeing done, if you have a friend who lives there, itll help greatly.

Make sure you know how to get from the airport to your hotel, it can be a long train ride.

Pack lightly, very lightly, since your likely to come back with very heavy bags.

Japan is a tropical island remember, pack good absorbant clothing, no polyester or PVC clothing. The last thing you want is a nasty sweat rash. Bring some medical powder stuff, like talcum podwer, but medially formulated. Dash liberally on all sweaty body bits to avoid skin-rot.

Mosquitos are killers, bring oitment.

It can get hot, so bring seasonal clothing.

Beware of "Junku-softu"
        This is games that are deemed as junk for whatever reason, IE not working, or something dodgy about them. Youll see them lined up on a shelf for like ?1 a pop, sometimes less, but the shop will not under ANY circumstances except a return on these items.
        I once heard a story of Radiant silvergun, mint, with no blemshes, being sold for like ?30, it of course didnt work. The guy couldnt return it due to it being junku-softu. (though the spine card is valuable in its own right)

I saw many a nice item of Junku-softu, but left well alone.
        Sometimes its because the game is in English, I saw an english copy of Star Control 2 once, for like ?3, it probably worked, but who can tell?

If customs asks whats in your bag,
        you just look that little guy right in the eye, and tell him what old jack burton says in a time like that
        Nothing to declare, honest guv!

Have fun, stay calm, enjoy yourself, act naturally, enjoy the atmosphere, its probably a once in a life time oppurtunity.

If I think of anything else, or you want more info, or anyone wants to contest what Ive typed, then just post here.

goodnight all!

EDIT: the second time, I travelled russian airlines, economy, though ive yet to work out wether it was donkey powered, or wether they had a furnace in the back burning potato peelings.
        At afair bit under ?400 return, it was probably the crappiest, yet cheapest flight Ive ever been on. (memory fails, might have been more, if any contests Ill go check, hey, it was years ago, my sake soaked mind has trouble recolecting.)

Check Juyoh hotels online if you stay in tokyo.

Go for a day trip to yokohama, its quite close-ish, and is nice.

Get planning NOW! (in order to be prepared)

Comment

Hey thanks for the advice. I am actually planning on going to akihabara for the games mostly, but ill try to plan to go to other places as well. If you think of anything else don't hesitate to post again.

Comment

Just a couple of things i'd like to add to otaku84's advice.

Originally posted by otaku84
            Under no circumstances visit Shibuya, it may look cool in JSR, but youll either end up getting mugged, followed by hookers, or both. (I kid you not, I only saved myself by diving into a local apartment store/health spa building)
            Completely disagree with this to be honest. For me at least Shibuya is a must. You exit the station right into the heart of Shibuya which is the amazing Shibuya Crossroads. Its a fantastic sight, with thousands of people and loads of huge multistorey videoscreens. A lot of Japan was different to what i expected, this wasn't, a fantastic place. The bus station from JSR is about 3 or 4 hundred yards to the right of there. Its layout is not identical to the game, but its easily near enough to get you excited. You can actually go up a walkway to get a better view. I'm sure that the Japanese locals must have been wondering why a crazy gajin was getting excited about taking pics of a bus station. Also very close to there are the 'half-pipe' drainage ditches from the game, very cool.

I can honestly i felt perfectly safe and comfortable everywhere i've been in Japan, i personally wouldn't worry about crime at all.

Make sure you know how to get from the airport to your hotel, it can be a long train ride.
            For roughly ?15 you can get the "Airport Limosine." As soon as you come through customs and into arrivals you'll see the "Airport Limosine" kiosk. Basically its a coach service from the Narita airport to pretty much all the central areas of Tokyo and loads of hotels. Its miles better than struggling with your luggage on the train etc and even if your area isn't served then you can get the coach to somewhere near and take a cab straight to the hotel. They also run from 6am all day back to the airport from where they dropped you off so its easy getting back to the airport too.

When arriving, try to get off the plane and to immigration as fast as you possibly can. The immigration queue moves very slowly and is very long. The last thing you want to be doing after a 12hour plane journey is standing at the back of the queue in what is sometimes sweltering heat.

Explore everywhere, even the small grocery shops such as Lawsons etc have some really cool stuff.

Above all prepare for a life changing experience. It might sound over the top, but it truely is the best place on earth and not just for the games.

Comment

hi all, Im back!
              Not sure which shibuya you went to m8. The one I've been to is the coolest place on Earth, and the friendliest too.

You must be confusing it with the ****hole that is Roppongi....

Comment

If I made a mistake with Shibuya, and it was in fact another place I ended up in, then I am really sorry for the mistake.
                Though Im pretty sure it was.

After getting off the train, I walked into a big city square, with mini-park rock feature to one side, and then across the street, buildings with giant TV screens on them.

The first thing that hit me, was the garbage. it was the dirtiest place Id seen in Japan. There were big bags of garbage, and litter on the floor, as well as loads of tramps everywhere. I mean a huge delegation of homeless people crowded around me.

I had bought a squid ball takeaway (the name anyone?), the one with mayonaise and some kind of wierd sauce. Very nice. Anyway, these tramps were trying to take the empty packaging off me. One old woman took it and put it in a bag rubbish bag she had. I was unnerved to say the least.

I also ended up being followed by some wierd looking woman. Perosnally I did not enjoy this place much. But I did find the Seiko watch building. which was cool.

Anyway, Tonma is right, Japan will be a profound experience, unlike visiting any other country. (at least any others ive visited, and Ive seen alot)

When I went the first time, it was on a school trip, which was great, since we saw a different place everyday, went to 2 islands, and visited no fewer than 8 major cities. Everything from the new to the old.

I stayed in a tiny little fishing village surrounded by green mountains, and when i woke up in the morning, Id sit by the window, sipping cool green tea, on a hot morning, watching thick mist drift down over this mountains covered in greenery. Totally amazing.

Anyway, if its your first time, you can find a little of everything in Tokyo.
                I recomend Asaksa, Ginza, and maybe even pop down to harbour to check out the fish markets.
                At the ginza, as well the biggest of Japans high profile shops, youll find a police museum, a magazine library, and some amazing little resturants hidden away.
                And if you goto Yokohama, you can goto Japans tallest building, the landmark tower. (Ive been up about 4 times, great fun!)

Anyway, take it slow, it can be overwhelming.
                Plan it out, phone the Japan embassy in London, they sent me maps, booklets, and plenty of other useful info. They will also be able to answer big questions.

On trains, if you know the name of the station, but arent sure, ask someone, and theyll most likely answer quite politely.
                Memorise a few phrases, and pronounce them well, and most people will be bowled over by the fact that you put so much effort in.

I know I may get flak for this next statement, but I witnessed this myself.
                Dont do like many americans do, and barge in, demanding things, assuming people will automatically speak english and jump to your aid because your a foreigner or part of the worlds super powers.

Even if they speak english, its always best to greet them in Japanese. A Japanese friend and I witnessed an American psuh forward through a group, demanding assistance at the trains (and another in a post office). He spoke no Jpanese, and pronounced everything so badly as to seem as if it was intentional.
                "I want to get to Assar-kussar! How do I get there? You speak english!?"
                The guy shrugged and said in Japanese he didnt understand, the guy got irrate and stormed off. When I asked politely in broken Japanese, a few words here and there and plenty of apologies, the man spoke excellent english and was very polite.

My friend said its not good to be so demanding with a big outbrust like that, trust me, a little effort here and there with pronounciation will put them in a good mood and theyll be eager to help. At least thats what I saw. (the guide here will also help with katakana)

Even if you cant read anything, a tiny phrase book and plenty of "Su-mi-ma-sen" should do.

Do you know any Japanese?
                Have you ever planned a trip abroad before?
                I dunno, my second trip was the first big trip abroad that I planned myself. It needs some dedication but is well worth it.

Be open minded, and try everything.
                Enjoy the immersion.

Also, food wise, if you can, try their broiled eel dish, Unagi I believe its called, it looks like a brownish grilled fish over hot rice. Amazing stuff, but a little pricey. If you are squirmish about food, avoid "nato" and sea urchin. I loved it both, but they are very aquired tastes. Some compare fresh nato to beans suspended in mucus, with a strong pungeant flavour. But a little nato over allota rice goes down quite nicely.

Drink "Calpis original". Tastes amazing, like watered down Yakult except without the health benefits. (rich in hyperactive chemicals too, so dont go overboard)
                Try "Pocari Sweat" during a hot day, and also make sure you taste some of their peach water drinks. Great stuff. Oh, and their boxes of ready to drink coffee, tasted sweet and rich, great to wake up to. Green tea is also good to drink. "Mugi-Cha" is also fantastic, its a kind of tea made from "burnt wheat", which they drink cold. I have only ever seen this in Japan and Poland. (interestingly enough, it is also hugely popular in Poland as well, except they drink it hot, yet its the exact same product)

Try and avoid coke and macdonalds, I know many people who have gone, and the first thing they do is look for home comforts like that. You can get those when your back home, but you may not see what Japan has exclusively for a long time.

Though do try mossburgers just once, so you can tell people, ive eaten a moss-burger. Its bassicaly a hybridisation of "Macdonalds boss" burger, the rival company trying to imply they are better by using a catchy slogan. interesting I thought. (I was told this by Japanese friend so it may be innacurate)

Train tickets to and from each tokyo region cost a few quid only.
                Check the exchange rate.

If you have a british pasport you should be fine, and wont need a visa.

Shoes, have clean shoes, and remember, youll have top take them off for alotta things, so try and get slip on shoes.

When are you going? During the humid hot months? or the cooler rainy months? Try and be clean shaven. I know many have beards, but itll be more comfortable in the heat anyway.

oh, and NEVER blow your nose on a hanky, or at all. Blowing your nose in public is impolite. Hankies are solely for mopping sweat off your brow.

Keep your eyes peeled, gaming bargains can be found anywhere. I once saw a big box of new Paper mario games for ?9 each. In LAOX believe.
                Know what you want before hand.

Pick up a deck of Hanafuda cards. Most decks I saw were made by Nintendo themselves, indeed thats how they started. its a beautiful ornate little game, centuries old, and each card is made of compressed paper. it makes for neato gifts and is great fun to play, easy to learn also.

phew, enough of my rambling. Give me an email, and Ill send the map.

Maybe I should ask marcus, and he could host the image? It was done for me by a Japanese business man, and is actually very good.

Im guessing thats most things, have we missed anything guys?
                I feel like we have. It feels like I havent said something that is majorly important. Oh well, someone else can field that.

ciao

Comment

Thats pretty much more info than is needed I think. You mentioned the most vital thing of all, drink pocari sweat. That covers everything!

As mentioned before though, half of the fun is exploring for yourself. Having everything explained to you would ruin half of the fun I imagine.

Email me that map and Ill host it m8.

Comment

I fly out to Tokyo later in the week, flights were about 600 return with a change at Copenhagen. Not got any plans to do anything beyond going to that Famicom exhibition, just going to wing it same as I usually do on holiday.

Might get brave and go to Jump Festa, but I think I'd feel more lost there than anywhere else on the planet

Comment

Heres the map from otaku.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention. When youre in Aki, keep a look out for the cure maid cafe..... ^_^

Comment

hey thanks for the advice and the map guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X