Using 2 speakers on a 5.1 amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using 2 speakers on a 5.1 amp question

I've just acquired a decent 5.1 amp off the father in-law and I want to use it in stereo. I only have the amp at the minute so can't test it with speakers. I don't want all the clutter of 5.1, just 2 decent floor standing speakers. If I do this will I still get the BASS running through the two speakers and will I be missing out on the rear and centre audio if I set my equipment to output in 2.1?

Thanks in advance.

Typically you can force stereo, or more than likely select that your source only outputs stereo...you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

Normally you can set surround and sub speakers to off in the setup.
      I used my Yamaha amp like this but with a sub and two small mains.

Comment

OK thanks!

Comment

If there's no obvious way to force stereo mode on your amp, you can try what I did with my cheap 5.1 speaker system:

The system had different surround modes like 'theatre' and 'disco' that I could flick through. One mode was called 'matrix' which cut the center speaker and sent that to the left and right speakers. I used to use it when watching 5.1 concerts because I didn't like the music coming through the center and just wanted 4-speaker surround. On a friend's amp it was called phantom or something spooky like that.

Of course, you did say your amp is decent so you'll probably have no trouble but just in case...

Comment

Definitely tell the amp you have no sub attached as Smouty said. This will force the full audio range through the speaker outputs instead of the .1 channel.

Comment

Working...
            X