Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing an Apple Mac Book Pro HELP

Hi all,

(apologise in advance if this is the wrong place to post this, but my searches returned nowt on where best to post this thread)

I am going back to Tokyo in September and I want to buy a custom Mac Book Pro there, as the exchange rate works favourably enough to get a substantial saving.

Problem I have is actually buying the custom model I have in mind from looking at the online store.

I am of the opinion that the stores in Tokyo, will not have the specific model I want, as they will probably stock generic standard spec models in the store.

Does anyone here have experience or could offer any advice on the possibility of purchasing a custom built model from the Japanese online store and having it shipped to a hotel or address in Japan? Could I even get it sent to the store in Tokyo by any chance?

I tried speaking to someone on the online apple store chat, and they suggested I speak to someone on the Japanese online store chat system in English; to which I thought was a great idea. Later I found that Apple do not allow me to speak to someone outside of the country I am from. Talk about being given duff information...

In a brief Google search, I can't seem to find any information online about any official Apple Resellers in the Tokyo area, other than the Apple Stores obviously...

Any advice would be most helpful and appreciated!

Can you email the Tokyo stores directly and ask them if they stock the configuration you're after.

Comment

Apple Stores don't stock anything but the standard configurations you see on their website in my experience.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.

VR46, if you happen to know an email address for the apple store in Tokyo Japan, then i will gladly email them, but so far I can't seem to get an email address anywhere online - only phone numbers.

I spoke to the online assistant on the apple website and they confirmed that it is not possible to purchase from the UK store and have it available for in store pick up in Japan. I would need to do it through the Japanese apple online store. So that is an option i guess... Only problem is, would be navigating the options on the apple website, and if it will accept a uk credit card, etc...

Don't suppose anyone knows the type of turnaround for purchasing through the online store is? Is there a long lead in time of days / weeks for the machine to become available?

Comment

Custom built mac?

What exactly would the spec be and wouldn't it be way wiser waiting until they upgrade to broadwell? - you're talking a revolution in battery life / onboard graphics with that chip.

Comment

Have you tried the Apple store sales line?

Comment

Regarding the number neoboy259 posted, you won't be able to call that from outside Japan because it's a free phone number. Regarding payment, you can do cash on delivery(personally I'd try and use a credit card). If I get some time I'd be happy to try calling for you and find out what your options are regarding delivery of a custom-spec machine to your hotel or an Apple Store. I have a feeling they won't give a straight answer about lead times but it's worth a shot! I'll also ask if they have a number that can be called from outside Japan.

Here are the Apple Store numbers in Tokyo if you want to call directly(they have English-speaking staff):

Shibuya: 03-6415-3300
              Omotesando - 03-6757-4400
              Ginza: 03-5159-8200

Bear in mind that, according to the FAQ, you have to contact the Online Store before ordering if you want it delivered to a hotel or somewhere other than your billing address.

I haven't been able to speak to anyone at Japanese Apple Support in English although I haven't really tried. First time I arranged a call-back using English chat and the call-back was in Japanese although they never mentioned it would be(turns out she spoke a little bit of English). My Apple ID is registered to my UK address yet I could deal with all the Japanese stuff no problem so I'm not sure why they told you you can't, unless they meant you have to physically be in the country of the support department you want to talk to.

Comment

Thanks again for the responses guys, it is very helpful!

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                Custom built mac?

What exactly would the spec be and wouldn't it be way wiser waiting until they upgrade to broadwell? - you're talking a revolution in battery life / onboard graphics with that chip.
                I am looking at getting the 15" Retina Screen Mac Book Pro, with the 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz; 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage.

I am not a big apple follower and get confused easily when I hear people talking about Haswells, Broadwells and Skylakes etc... I would consider getting an updated machine with the latest chipset, etc... But as I am going to Tokyo next month and the considerable savings I could get, I would be kind of foolish to give up the opportunity to get a 'new' mac book pro, with a saving of around ?300 - ?400 give or take. Plus there is the removal of tax as a tourist I would receive too.

Do you know when this newer model with the Broadwell upgrade will be come out by any chance?

Originally posted by neoboy259 View Post
                Have you tried the Apple store sales line?

http://www.apple.com/jp/store/english/
                I have read that page already thanks neoboy259, it was helpful, but raised more questions...

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                Regarding the number neoboy259 posted, you won't be able to call that from outside Japan because it's a free phone number. Regarding payment, you can do cash on delivery(personally I'd try and use a credit card). If I get some time I'd be happy to try calling for you and find out what your options are regarding delivery of a custom-spec machine to your hotel or an Apple Store. I have a feeling they won't give a straight answer about lead times but it's worth a shot! I'll also ask if they have a number that can be called from outside Japan.

Here are the Apple Store numbers in Tokyo if you want to call directly(they have English-speaking staff):

Shibuya: 03-6415-3300
                Omotesando - 03-6757-4400
                Ginza: 03-5159-8200

Bear in mind that, according to the FAQ, you have to contact the Online Store before ordering if you want it delivered to a hotel or somewhere other than your billing address.

I haven't been able to speak to anyone at Japanese Apple Support in English although I haven't really tried. First time I arranged a call-back using English chat and the call-back was in Japanese although they never mentioned it would be(turns out she spoke a little bit of English). My Apple ID is registered to my UK address yet I could deal with all the Japanese stuff no problem so I'm not sure why they told you you can't, unless they meant you have to physically be in the country of the support department you want to talk to.
                Wow Randombs that is a big ask from me, to ask you to get in touch with the Apple store in Japan.

Regarding the speaking to the Japanese Online Store, well when I log in to chat on the Japanese Store, it tells me that I can only speak to a member of staff from the country I am accessing from (UK) which is what completely scuppered my plans.

I did not know I could order online and pay in person at the store in Tokyo, when I pick up the machine. If that is the case then all I would need to do is make my order say a week in advance from the UK, with a UK Credit Card (will probably need to inform the CC company prior I reckon). Then select the nearest Apple store to my hotel in Shinjuku; rock up on the day and 'hopefully' pay and pick up the mac on the day right?

But before I do the above, I would need to contact the online store first, if you have the time Randombs and it doesn't inconvenience you too much, it would really help me out if you could give the Apple store a ring on my behalf and ask them, what I need to do as a customer ordering from the UK and picking up in Japan. My Japanese is limited at best, so I would struggle with the initial hello on the phone. Feel free to PM me if you need any information from me.

Comment

No problem!

If they tell me it's better for you to call the store directly then if you have some kind of internet calling app(Viber, Skype) it'll cost a few pence a minute.

I have a feeling you'd need to pay in advance if it's customised but again I'll check that all out.

Comment

Thanks again Randombs!

Look forward to see how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                    X