Import Consoles / UK PSU compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import Consoles / UK PSU compatibility

I'd like a list of tried and tested combinations for UK PSU's with import consoles to avoid using a stepdown converter please.

US SNES mini. I use a PAL Mega Drive lead which needed a slight mod to fit.

N64 can take a PAL power base and lead iirc.

PS1 and PS2 need a stepdown.

Dreamcast needs a stepdown.
    Last edited by nakamura; 13-11-2015, 19:26.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
      US SNES. I use a PAL Mega Drive lead.

N64 can take a PAL power base and lead iirc.

PS1 and PS2 need a stepdown.

Dreamcast needs a stepdown.
      Or a power board swap. If you're plugging a figure 8 cable into a machine, it has an internal power supply. Why people use a stepdown with an external power supply boggles my mind.

Should be noted that your SNES Mini has been modified to accept that PAL Mega Drive PSU Martin!

The Mega Drive PSU is good for a PC Engine, Core Grafx, Core Grafx, Super Grafx, Shuttle, IFU, Super CD-Rom 2, Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega Drive 1 and so on. Many devices of that era used a negative polarity and the Mega Drive supply provides a nice amount of current for devices. Remember, more current is absolutely fine as a device will only draw what it requires. Less can be damaging to your hardware though.

A PAL PlayStation 2 slim or PSone PSU is good for a PC Engine Duo R/RX.

Regular US SNES have a stupid connector, but you can get adaptor cables for use with a PAL Mega Drive or similar quite easily.

If a console has a proprietary power brick, just locate the localised version of it. Off the top of my head this would include the Nintendo 64, GameCube, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, Xbox One... Maybe more that I don't care for!

Oh and if you have a PlayStation 2 slim from anywhere, just chuck a UK figured of 8 cable that comes with it to use it. 100~240V means that it is dual voltage and will work in any region.

Comment

OK...question to Speedy

JP X-Box 360 Slim S...Can I use a UK 360 power supply?

Comment

As long as you get an appropriate UK equivalent yes.

That power supply is converting 100V to 12V, 5V and 3.3V right now (I will assume) and a UK power supply will be converting 230V to 12V, 5V and 3.3V.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I actually have a Mega Drive PSU now, which is why I asked. Will get one of those adapters for the US SNES. Unfortunately the other import consoles I have are a ps2, saturn and dreamcast.

Comment

I've got a Japanese PC Engine on the way.

And I have an original UK Mega Drive 1 PSU.

Are you all sure they work together?

The PCE is rated for 9v and 650ma input

The MD1 PSU is rated for 10V and 1200ma output. Or 1.2 amps!

If I can, I'd like to avoid plonking extra cash on it since I'm already over budget:
              Power supply for NEC PC Engine CoreGrafX 1 and 2. Design to replace the original AC adapter. 2m/6ft cable. Don't deteriorate video or audio. Regulated voltage. EU, US, UK or AU plug. Overload and Short-Circuit Protection. CE certified and FCC regulated. 1 year warranty. Don't need to use a step-down transformer.
              Last edited by Sketcz; 06-02-2022, 18:40.

Comment

The 7805 inside the PCE converts the 9 or 10V to 5V. A console will only draw what it needs, so 1.2A is plenty of headroom.

Comment

Cheers for the confirm Speed.

Now to await the arrival of my SSD3.

Comment

Are they available at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                      Are they available at the moment?
                      Nope, eBay purchase. Taraonion has the HD version in (I think!), but I wanted the SD since I'm still rocking 3x CRT TVs.

Comment

MD1 PSU powers most of the old imported consoles so yeah, you'll be fine.

Comment

Just want to say that the really late PS2 Slim moved from an external power brick to an internal - I think those ones need a stepdown.

Also if your Mega Drive has slight audio buzz, make sure you're using an MD power supply and not one off a Master System. They both work but are rated differently, they get mixed up sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                            Just want to say that the really late PS2 Slim moved from an external power brick to an internal - I think those ones need a stepdown.
                            Those are internal but multi voltage, like my Japanese slim PS3.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              Those are internal but multi voltage, like my Japanese slim PS3.
                              Never knew that, thanks! I did wonder.

Comment

Working...
                              X