Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with Wharfedale CRTs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience with Wharfedale CRTs?

I have the opportunity to get one of these fairly locally. Looking at the model it's relatively new for a CRT as it's one of the silver, flat-screened models, accepts NTSC input (although don't see any mention of S-Video in the instruction manual) which is all good. But how are they for RGB, and can the geometry be adjusted easily if needs be?

Its a cheap brand, but i'm sure it should look ok via RGB; not sure why you would want an s-video input, as in my experience it doesn't look great.

Comment

Get a model number, Google to see if accessing the service menu is easy.

Probably won't rival your Trinitron but...

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
        Its a cheap brand, but i'm sure it should look ok via RGB; not sure why you would want an s-video input, as in my experience it doesn't look great.
        My JP N64 isn't RGB modded.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        Get a model number, Google to see if accessing the service menu is easy.

Probably won't rival your Trinitron but...
        Bah, don't remind me didn't realise Wharfedale was a particularly cheap brand, but yeah not expecting the world out of it. If it displays RGB nicely enough (and better than all the horrible HDTVs I've tried my Cube on in the interim) then that'll be dandy. Plus I'll be paying a grand total of two pounds for it. (It's more whether it's worth the drive to pick it up that I'm concerned about)
        Last edited by danstan21; 10-12-2015, 14:08.

Comment

Get your N64 RGB modded.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
            My JP N64 isn't RGB modded.

Bah, don't remind me didn't realise Wharfedale was a particularly cheap brand, but yeah not expecting the world out of it. If it displays RGB nicely enough (and better than all the horrible HDTVs I've tried my Cube on in the interim) then that'll be dandy. Plus I'll be paying a grand total of two pounds for it. (It's more whether it's worth the drive to pick it up that I'm concerned about)
            an unmodded jp n64 is like having a Ferrari with a moped engine in it ;-)

the n64 s-video output is shockingly bad

Comment

One thing at a time lads

I can't find a service menu code for this brand at all after googling various strings of words. I'll probably take a punt on it anyway, but not being able to adjust geometry would be a bummer.

Comment

As an update to this, I've had the TV for a week now - after adjusting various levels the picture quality is actually pretty nice. Probably not quite Trinitron nice, but it's really not far off. I've managed to find a service menu code after some more googling (the Wharfedale CTV8521RF TV uses a Vestel 11AK30 chassis, service menu code 4725), but it turns out the "4" button on my remote is broken, so I can't use it yet. :|

Comment

Working...
                X