Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended HDMI splitter? (2015-2016)

Hello everyone,

I've had a quick look in the archives here but there doesn't seem to be a recent discussion on this topic. Forgive me if the question is obvious but I'm unaware if previous recommendations would stand, or if they may have been superseded.

I'm after an HDMI splitter with the following characteristics, and was wondering if anybody here could recommend something that would fit the bill:

- strips HDCP (for PS3 and PSTV)
    - doesn't get too hot (we had one at work that almost burnt fingers)
    - ideally passive to avoid another plug socket being occupied, although powered isn't a deal breaker

The use case would be to run an HDMI output from a DVDO Edge or Hori HDMI switch to the splitter, which would then supply signals to a screen and an Elgato HD60 capture card. I don't expect that the splitter would introduce any perceptible input lag.

Many thanks if you're able to recommend something appropriate.

To record PS3 and PSV I use this:

It's not passive (I don't think there can be passive HDMI splitters/switches) but I power it from a 5v-to-USB cable, http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-U...ords=5v+to+usb
    Does its job nicely, and I use it after a HDMI matrix with no visible loss of quality and/or lag.

Comment

Thanks briareos! I'm not sure if the unit has been cloned or licenced, but that box looks almost identical to the Wingoneer model I've been looking at on Amazon. I'm guessing that they follow a fairly generic design.

Comment

Yeah, it's a basic design that has been produced/rebranded by a number of companies.

Comment

Yup I have the same one branded by "Neet"
          Mine is running from the usb ports on my main tv, no need for an adapter :-)

Comment

Thanks everyone. I went for the Wingoneer as it's basically the same thing and wouldn't have a big postage cost- hopefully I should be up and running before Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
              Thanks briareos! I'm not sure if the unit has been cloned or licenced, but that box looks almost identical to the Wingoneer model I've been looking at on Amazon. I'm guessing that they follow a fairly generic design.
              I got the Wingoneer (1X2 HDMI 1.3). I tried using PS3 and PS4 with hdcp on, and it strips the hdcp signal just fine. I heard that some other lookalike cannot strip hdcp, so you have to be careful. Just becasue they using the same generic casing doesn't mean they have the same board inside.

Comment

I'll find out soon enough. Luckily I've bought through Amazon, so returns won't be an issue.

Comment

Quick update: the Wingoneer unit arrived earlier and it does indeed strip HDCP- I managed to record PSTV with no issues at all.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X