Xbox one external HDD keeps disconnecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox one external HDD keeps disconnecting

Usb 3 caddy and the USB cable that came with it. It works for a few hours and then the Xbox One pretends it can't see it. Rebooting the Xbox One often works. Sometimes pulling the cable out and replacing it works but not always. I am in energy save mode. It did it while downloading / installing a 25GB demo so it's not like the HDD is going to sleep after inactivity. Anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried a different lead or USB socket on the Xbox One? I originally had my drive plugged into the rear ports and sometimes the drive didn't get seen at boot, which didn't seem to be an issue plugged in to the side port. Some drives can be finicky with power requirements, although that really shouldn't be an issue with USB3, especially with a recent drive.
    Last edited by MartyG; 21-12-2015, 12:33.

Comment

I moved it from the back to the side thinking that solved it, but same again after a while. The drive uses and external power supply.

Comment

Could it not be a power-save built into the hardware of the caddy? Might be worth checking the manual for that.

Comment

I've just ordered an adapter to add an SSD which I hope will speed up loading times for Fallout 4.
          It is a bus powered one so I hope I don't have the same issues.

Comment

I know some of the WD Green series drives have a built in spin down cycle that cant be overridden.

Comment

Ah bum. It's one of those drives. Maybe that's it. Guess it doesn't play well with a non-PC device.

Comment

I had a couple of these http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c.../wd20ezrx.html in a media pc that did the same thing regardless of power settings.

Comment

I wonder if there's any way of copying one to another on a PC. It will take a long time to redownload stuff....

Comment

You can connect two external drives as long as the capacity doesn't exceed 16tb. Simples :-)

Comment

Nice one. Thanks a lot!

Comment

I eventually found a post that suggested formatting on the PC and then putting in the Xbox One. It worked. Has been perfect ever since

Comment

Working...
                        X