Why No JAMMA "Everdrive"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why No JAMMA "Everdrive"?

Anyone have a technical reason as to why nobody has come up with an Everdrive style device for arcade cabinets? I see there is now an SD replacement for laserdisc cabinets, replacements for all sorts of optical drives but JAMMA gets nothing.

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
    Anyone have a technical reason as to why nobody has come up with an Everdrive style device for arcade cabinets? I see there is now an SD replacement for laserdisc cabinets, replacements for all sorts of optical drives but JAMMA gets nothing.
    I'm going to assume (and this is going out on a limb) that it's because most arcade hardware users do so out of a love for the hardware on an esoteric level. Like having an Everdrive is a step closer to just using MAME.

Comment

Pandora's box?

Comment

JAMMA is an industry standard for the wiring loom to standardise the IO of PCBs.

It it isn't like a video game console which is a standard set of hardware.

There are devices like the Pandora's Box mentioned above which are sort of similar - but not really.

Comment

Problem with those multi boxes is they are usuually ****, especially the sound emulation.

Comment

Exactly.

Suppose someone were to make one as a proof or concept that supports, say, CPS-2. It would replace the 'game cartridge'' part of a CPS-2 pair and play whatever game you've selected.

But then you'd also need one for Atomiswave. And that Namco Z-11 or whatever. And so on. They'd have to make one for each type of hardware. Seeing as arcade game makers were pretty free to do as they pleased so long as they followed the JAMMA pin out, there's a multitude of options and relevant fans requesting/demanding their arcade board be supported.

Also, you could only make one for arcade systems that are console-style with removable games, not the regular ones like CPS-1.

I doubt there are any technical hurdles, more a case of whether or not it's worth it and I imagine the answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              Exactly.

Suppose someone were to make one as a proof or concept that supports, say, CPS-2. It would replace the 'game cartridge'' part of a CPS-2 pair and play whatever game you've selected.

But then you'd also need one for Atomiswave. And that Namco Z-11 or whatever. And so on. They'd have to make one for each type of hardware. Seeing as arcade game makers were pretty free to do as they pleased so long as they followed the JAMMA pin out, there's a multitude of options and relevant fans requesting/demanding their arcade board be supported.

Also, you could only make one for arcade systems that are console-style with removable games, not the regular ones like CPS-1.

I doubt there are any technical hurdles, more a case of whether or not it's worth it and I imagine the answer is no.
              Some are available already. CPS1 or 2 (can't remember which), ST-V.

Comment

Wow, I had no idea!

But Everdrives for arcade boards that have swappable games isn't what you mean, is it?

If you meant Everdrive-style devices that just plug into the JAMMA harness then speedy already stated why they wouldn't do that.

Comment

Working...
                X