Replacing the plug on a GC pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the plug on a GC pad

I've been a very stupid person. Last night when plugging in my Hori GC SCII arcade stick into a pad extender cable the plug wouldn't go in the socket very easily. So I pushed a bit harder and... well it went in, but one of the metal pins inside the plug got pushed back and folded up inside the plug.

So, is there any easy way of replacing these plugs? It seems to me that I could just take the plug of the stick cable and the socket off the extension cable and splice the two together. But how would I work out which wire was which? (I'm no electrician and don't want to fry anything (including myself) through trial and error).

Any ideas?

I'd recommend wiring a new cable directly to the innards of the Hori stick.

Either hack the socket off the extension cable and try to wire it up to the pcb inside the Hori stick (you'll need to figure out which wire goes where, and theres no guarantee that the colors will match), or open a pad up and see if the normal Nintendo GameCube pads have an internal pcb connector for the cable thats the same as the Hori stick.

The latter is going to look nicer.

Comment

Thanks.

I'm not too worried about how it looks, so long as it works. Hence my cheap and cheerful suggestion. I like the idea of there being some kind of standard connector inside both a pad and the stick though, it would make things so much easier. Can anyone confirm this?

Otherwise I'm still left with the problem of working out which wire's which. Is trial and error the usual method for this?

Comment

Originally posted by The Sheriff of Nottingham
        I like the idea of there being some kind of standard connector inside both a pad and the stick though, it would make things so much easier. Can anyone confirm this?
        There might be, Nintendo are pretty cool with things like that. Depends on Hori really though.

Originally posted by The Sheriff of Nottingham
        Otherwise I'm still left with the problem of working out which wire's which. Is trial and error the usual method for this?
        No, thats bad, you might end up damaging something. You'd need to try and trace each and every connection pin to the pcb location. A multi meter with thin probes and steady hands is the best solution.

Comment

Thanks again!

Time to start opening things up I think...

Comment

Have you tried unfurling the bent pin with a small jewellers screwdriver or strong needle? Might be worth a bash before dismantling stuff

Comment

Working...
            X