Best option for MAME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    I do have an OSSC, but I thought an easy option would be to simply use one of those HDMI scanline generators, they're only about £25 on eBay.
    Stick with the OSSC. Those generators simply throw random/user-defined dark lines over the image rather than detecting the source resolution and sticking to the integers.

Comment

Hmmm, can't seem to find a prebuilt RGB-Pi one for sale anywhere, anyone spotted one?

Comment

RGB-Pi won't come pre-built mate, they don't seem to be very popular in the wild. Also an RGB-Pi will only output 240p, obviously...sorry I thought you wanted just a simple HD solution - my mistake! Order from here, tell him Paul (escape_to_88) sent you http://www.rgb-pi.com/
        He is Spanish and builds them in his spare time. Also I've no idea how well this works with the OSCC, from what Brad demoed me though the OSCC seems to handle everything you throw at it.

A summary of what you'll need:

-RGB-Pi lead from the link above (about 30 Euros)
        -The image (free) to put on the SD card from the link above also (this is the custom RecalBox build you will need)
        -The Pi 3b itself, pick up the bog-standard Pi 3b from Pi Hut or somewhere reputable (about £30-40), there's no need to buy any sort of pre-built thingy, this is fine: https://thepihut.com/collections/ras...y-pi-3-model-b - the + version is NOT yet supported. So the standard 3b is fine.
        -The proper Pi PSU probably from Pi Hut (about £8): https://thepihut.com/collections/ras...l-power-supply
        -An SD card. I had a spare 16gb one lying about, but probably a 32gb one will do. The custom Recalbox image is 8gb, so you'll need to make the card larger via Linux or by using a bootable CD in Windows - it's easier than it sounds.
        -A controller or joystick (wired - USB). Bluetooth works well on RetroPie, but on this custom build it's a bit hit and miss, I'd avoid wireless if possible.
        A case (if you want to). I use this one: https://thepihut.com/collections/ras...case-white-red

That's it. Probably about £70-80 in total for retro goodness Runs everything up to Psone, although complex 3D games like Tekken 3 will run slow, although Tekken 1 and 2 work perfectly. Also N64 is hit and miss as are some heavier/more recent MAME games and some F3 and PGM titles.
        Last edited by Escape-To-88; 01-04-2018, 21:43.
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

So within that 8Gb, that’s only the firmware, I still have to hunt down the roms/iso’s?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            So within that 8Gb, that’s only the firmware, I still have to hunt down the roms/iso’s?
            It comes with some mate. If/when I get time I can upload my 16gb image if you know anywhere with enough virtual storage space that should save some time. For mame you need the 2003 romsets, for FBA it's the 0.9.7 I think. You can probably buy a card setup from eBay and just pull the roms off. Failing that I can help but lacking time to actually set anything else up at the mo as away for the next two weeks...except maybe to drop an arcade cabinet home

Comment

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post
              Good work, I would have said any higher end model 2/3 stuff to put it through its paces or shooters that use random resolutions .
              [MENTION=4553]Escape-To-88[/MENTION] Just watched the vid, brilliant! Thank you that’s what I needed. It’s just nice to have some who is trusted to confirm the information out there, you and dvdx2 have sold this to me!

Now is there anyone who wants to build me one of these things as it’s beyond my patience and im bloody lazy?!?!!
              Anything I can do to help with your set up mate, no problem at all

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                Anything I can do to help with your set up mate, no problem at all
                Cheers Buddy, I am going to order all the bits later on. It's the SD card and set up which I struggle with. I will probably grab a fully loaded one from ebay and then add the additional image etc that Escape-To-88 mentioned.

I'll let you know how I get on.
                Last edited by dyer60; 02-04-2018, 12:50.

Comment

Cheers Buddy, I am going to order all the bits later on. It's the SD card and set up which I struggle with. I will probably grab a fully loaded one from ebay and then add the additional image etc that Escape-To-88 mentioned.

I'll let you know how I get on.
                  Just make sure you drag all the roms off before you format and transfer the new image across You will have to format the card regadless to put a new image on so it's not any easier necessarily getting one pre-built off of ebay since you'll be wipijg the SD card. It's literally a case of using one program on Windows to write the image, then it's all set up. Then you just drag and drop ROMs, all the leg work is taken out for you mate. It will probably be easier than you think.
                  Last edited by Escape-To-88; 02-04-2018, 13:19.

Comment

Perfect, cheers. The SD card is more just to get the ROM sets. I'll copy them across to my PC, then format and copy back. Do they need to put in specific files and if so are they already set up?

Comment

Just drag the roms into the corresponding folders. I explain on my video, it's half setup anyhow you just follow what is there already.

Comment

Ordered all the required the bits and bobs along with the Pi yesterday.

Looking into the SD card and whats needed it is a lot easier than I expected, I will update from a complete novice perspective how it goes.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Comment

Ordered all the required the bits and bobs along with the Pi yesterday.

Looking into the SD card and whats needed it is a lot easier than I expected, I will update from a complete novice perspective how it goes.

Thanks for all the help so far.
                          I hope you are outputting it to a good quality pro crt? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                            I hope you are outputting it to a good quality pro crt? ;-)
                            Good enough but nothing compared to some I've seen

Comment

Had a good rip on it today and found out loads of things! Current d/l full mame and fba rom sets - 30+GB, tated the jvc pro 14” for the shooters etc. Its so authentic, it really is a like a step back into the arcade of 30 years ago. Lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                                the + version is NOT yet supported.
                                The site says it is? I might email him to see if there's been an update before I order the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X