Playing CD-based games on a PS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing CD-based games on a PS2

I've heard around that if you play CD-based games on the PS2 (ie. the blue discs, PSone games, music CDs etc.) it wears down the PS2's laser. I also heard that this only affects v4 and earlier consoles. Is this true? Only, about half of my games are the blue CDs rather than DVDs, and I'm not sure whether they're knackering my PS2 or not.

Im not sure about different formats killing the laser, But I have herd many times the Sony use shoddy lasers with a 3 year life span in order to help sell more PS2 on replacement value.

Comment

Originally posted by ?pint
      I've heard around that if you play CD-based games on the PS2 (ie. the blue discs, PSone games, music CDs etc.) it wears down the PS2's laser. I also heard that this only affects v4 and earlier consoles. Is this true? Only, about half of my games are the blue CDs rather than DVDs, and I'm not sure whether they're knackering my PS2 or not.
      It has more to do with recordable and rewritable media, especially for pre-V5 models.

The PS2 drive has to work harder to read r and rw disks, and so wears itself out faster. Earlier models can deteriorate very quickly.

Another cause is (even slightly) scratched disks, which the PS2 seems make a real meal of.

Comment

Working...
      X