Freeloader weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeloader weirdness

Anyone notice any weirdness with Action Replay/Freeloader and some PAL games? I was using Freeloader to run PAL LOTR: Return of the King on my US Cube, (I know the game is nothing more than a bad Golden Axe style button bashing rip-off with terrible graphics but that's neither here nor there.) and I've noticed that it crops out the bottom of the screen image. As in it draws the last couple of lines completely off screen for some reason which escapes me.

Anyone else seen this? Is it just a PAL thing?

I've noticed this before too. Some pal stuff, normally 50Hz only games, end up running in 60Hz mode sometimes, but thinking they're running at 50Hz. The end result being the screen gets cropped.

Only really happened with v1.04 from what I remember though.

Even weirder is that pal Doshin can run fine at 60Hz (without cropping) using the Freeloader on an ntsc cube, but doesn't include a 60Hz mode normally.

Comment

yep, PAL enter the matrix (i'm so embarrassed at owning the thing long enough to find this out) does exactly the same thing - perfect 60hz with freeloader, 50hz-only without. i guess it's just the US version with a PAL region code stuck into it, and left to autodetect the cube's default hz setting. or something.

i got really excited when i found that out, and rushed to try luigi's mansion, waverace and pikmin. no luck... bah.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
        Only really happened with v1.04 from what I remember though.
        I'm using the version which came bundled with Action Replay. I don't have a version number as what scant documentation came in the box has long since reached the bin. Codes as far as Wind Waker.

Even weirder is that pal Doshin can run fine at 60Hz (without cropping) using the Freeloader on an ntsc cube, but doesn't include a 60Hz mode normally.
        I've had some weirdness with PAL Eternal Darkness where I'll end up with a line of neon green artifacting if I start it from particular Action Replay options. Regardless I can get it running, PAL The Sims: Bustin Out however just presents me with a black screen, doesn't even do me the courtesy of clipping.

I might have to invest in the latest version from Datel's store to see if I can get any juice from those lemons.

Comment

Originally posted by Baroque
          I'm using the version which came bundled with Action Replay. I don't have a version number as what scant documentation came in the box has long since reached the bin. Codes as far as Wind Waker.
          If you look around the data side of the AR disk the version no. is written there, I think the latest is v1.08 (thats the one I have).

Comment

Working...
          X