wirless networking.. another prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wirless networking.. another prob

at the moment i live in a house wiht 8 friends.

we have ntl 1mb and share it through a router via cables. We have an extra hub downstaires connected to the router via cross over so that wen ppl come over they just plg in a cable and internet works.

I have a laptop and want to make use of my wireless device.

i was thinking of buying a 4port hub with a wireless integrated and then just connect up the wireless hub with cross over to existing hub in the house. would this work?

*i am only allowed to connect something to the hub downstaires, wat is it i need?

oh also, if i want to make my xbox wireless wat do i need to buy to connect ot my xbox?

Originally posted by zeroboo
    at the moment i live in a house wiht 8 friends.

we have ntl 1mb and share it through a router via cables. We have an extra hub downstaires connected to the router via cross over so that wen ppl come over they just plg in a cable and internet works.

I have a laptop and want to make use of my wireless device.

i was thinking of buying a 4port hub with a wireless integrated and then just connect up the wireless hub with cross over to existing hub in the house. would this work?

*i am only allowed to connect something to the hub downstaires, wat is it i need?

oh also, if i want to make my xbox wireless wat do i need to buy to connect ot my xbox?
    1: Yes connecting a wireless hub will work. Look at Linksys or Belkin stuff both of which I use. Also work buying the 54G stuff if you can afford it.

2: Xbox - You need one of these:

will also work with PS-2 gamecube and anything else with an ethernet port.

Make sure you hide you SSID and use a decent WEP key.

Comment

thanks for the reply.

just to make sure, all i need is to buy a wireless router with 4port hub.

also, is 54G fast enough so that i can stream movies to my xbox?

Comment

You don't need a wireless router, just get a Wireless Access Point like the NetGear ME102. That doesn't do G, only does B, but there is a newer 'G' version, I just don't know the model number off the top of my head. To be honest, 5mbps is enough to stream a divx.

Comment

Originally posted by choddo
          You don't need a wireless router, just get a Wireless Access Point like the NetGear ME102. That doesn't do G, only does B, but there is a newer 'G' version, I just don't know the model number off the top of my head. To be honest, 5mbps is enough to stream a divx.
          aii.. what is an access point? I dont get the idea of it. They seem to be around the same price as the routers.

i know the B wldnt be able to stream cause ive tried it with a usb device so i was wondering if G wld be enough.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by cpmaring a USB device & 802.11b ?

A wireless router is effectively a;
            Access point
            hub or switch
            router
            ADSL modem

all in one box. But you don't want to get a router if you already have one, there's no point, it does loads of stuff you don't need. Just get an AP. I'd say they're at least ?40-?50 cheaper than a wireless router.

C

Comment

Originally posted by choddo
              Not sure what you mean by cpmaring a USB device & 802.11b ?

C
              sorry, wat i ment was a usb wireless adaptor which uses the B technology.
              i used that on my com at home and my laptop for wireless and it cld hardly stream an mp3

ahh.... thanks for the explanation... things seem a little more clear now

Comment

USB sucks at networking, you can definitely stream MP3s over 802.11b

They're only 160-190 kbps, not a problem over even a 2mpbs connection.

Comment

Working...
                X