Step-down transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Step-down transformer

Being a perennial skinflint I'm after a step-down transformer, and Amazon's £15 jobbie is drawing me in despite some dodgy reviews.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the tight pocketed? Thanks

Make sure you pay attention to the wattage capability of the stepdown and the consoles you are wanting to plug in, some consoles draw a lot but if they try to draw more than the stepdown can cope with you have overheating risks as well as the console been stressed out due to not getting enough power. Really doesn't pay to skimp on cost with something like a stepdown.

Personally i try and go with uk power supplies for consoles you can do that with (gamecube/N64/PSone ect) but it gets harder with ones that go directly into console like dreamcast, original ps1, ps2.

Comment

I got a really nice one, made in the UK, but for musical instruments. I think it was only 40 quid or so.

Comment

Cheers for the advice, need it to run a Japanese 3DO, 100v approx 30w I think.

Comment

Use Japanese electrical appliances in the UK with a 100 volt transformer. View our large variety of Japanese voltage converters. Order now.

Comment

This is where I bought mine from, decent quality. It's also the correct 100v for Japanese equipment, whereas other cheaper alternatives on Amazon etc tend to be for the USA's 120v.

Comment

Nice link i always wanted a monster power supply so i could finally buy appliances from Japan there's some awesome takoyaki makers & hotplates but their wattage rating was always a problem, seems they sell some pretty hardy supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                Nice link i always wanted a monster power supply so i could finally buy appliances from Japan there's some awesome takoyaki makers & hotplates but their wattage rating was always a problem, seems they sell some pretty hardy supplies.
                Looks like we are all going to yours for scran!

Comment

lol i'm quite adept at making both takoyaki and okonomiyaki but i had to make do with my tiny gas canister powered japanese stove. Maybe my credit card didn't need to see those transformers as it means i'm able to get hold of a lot of things i had wanted before but my weedy console stepdowns would never run them without instantly melting. Looks like Amazon J is gonna get raided again lol

Comment

Yeah I have the 100W Japanese stepdown from Airlink. Quite a bit more expensive than £15 but certainly worth it.

Comment

Gonna have to research and see how many watts most appliances im after draw.

Comment

I reckon you would need the 3000va minimum.

Comment

I still have one i got for My xbox 360 many years ago....its like a brick lol

Comment

Do we think this one is suitable for game systems?

UK Manufacturer, retailer & wholesaler of toroidal transformer products including voltage converters, boating transformers & conditioning balance supply

Comment

That should be fine for anything up to say a GameCube yeah (cutting it close with a foreign OG Xbox though).

Comment

Working...
                              X