Laptop recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop recommendations

I am after a new PC. I thought as space is at a premium and I like the idea of using the net any where at home, I thought I might buy a laptop instead.

I am not into PC gaming, so a 3D power pusher isnt so important, although the odd game of Quake III and light 3D Studio Max use will be something I would do, so obviously it does need to have a dedicated RAM for the video card, not shared. I don't want/need a DVD writer, and would be happy with a 13" screen. Floppy isnt wanted, but built in wi-fi, bluetooth, 512mb RAM is. Battery life isnt so important, although more than 2 hours would be better, so I guess a Centrino would be recommended. HDD? Hm 30gb would be more than enough. XP Home or Pro.

As usual with PC'ing, its a minefield, so what to you recommend? I'd like a Sony Vaio as I think they are really nice pieces of kit, although I imagine they are more expensive than say a Dell laptop etc. Are Sony laptops good?

What do you think?
    Oh, I want to be spending around ?1,400 max if possible.

Thanks..

I found Comet/www.comet.co.uk quite good on price, bought one (Samsung) about 5 months ago, it has just gone back to be repaired though, I don't play any games on it so it doesn't have dedicated memory and has come down ?150 in the 5 months also ft:

Comment

As a generally fantastic laptop, I'd like to recommend the Dell Inspiron 8500 (what I'm typing this on) . I was given one 6 months ago for passing my exams, and they're brilliant, well worth the ?1,200+. They have Intel Pentium 4 M (Multimedia) processors, and a choice of ATI or Nvidia graphics cards (Nvidia, what I chose, is slightly more expensive). The only thing they don't have built in is Bluetooth, but cards are only ?60 anyway . They also have nice big widescreens, and look really cool 8) .

Comment

Im sold Pacman

Comment

Lol, cool. Shame I waste the power with so many DOS games really!

Comment

Pentium 4 M

M is for mobile not multimedia. Its a P4 that uses less power and produces less het. Battery lasts longer and it takes longer to burn ur balls.

Do you want battery life ?? If so get a Intel Centrino Based laptop, i used to have a Toshiba M10 Centrino based lappy, got 5 and a half hours out of it with the wireless lan on.

Comment

Working...
            X