Merging drives on pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merging drives on pc

Not a question. Just thought I’d post my successful merging of a pair of 240gig ssds to make a single 480gig one for my ever growing DCS installation. Windows made it really easy and it shows up as a single drive now. I had to back up my data as the joining process will trash the data but very cool. Saved me having to put the data on my system drive.

Have just created a JBOD or a RAID array? I'd say all motherboard nowadays allow to create both rather easily too.

Comment

Dunno what the underlying tech is mate

Comment

JBOD allows different disks of different sizes to appear like a single volume (Unraid does this) usually with a parity disk (or two). RAID combines (usually) disks of the same size in different ways - if you've done this it's likely a striped RAID 0 array.

A RAID zero isn't data safe, so if one drive goes bad you can potentially lose all data.

Comment

What was great was that Windows his this and just told you of the risks and benefits of the methods it offered. It’s just game install data so if it dies I can download it again so I went with maximum space and maximum risk.

Comment

[MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION]: DCS? Distributed Computer System?

Comment

[MENTION=278]gunrock[/MENTION] https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

Comment

Woah! Totally unexpected.

<Presenter turns to camera 2>: Nice!

I was interested because I've just been setting up a NAS on Linux and learning about LVM, etc. which for Linux, can do what you are asking about.

Comment

Yeah I could have done all this stuff by getting into the weeds if I had to, just thought it was cool that Windows had a pretty user friendly way to do it. My DCS installation is over 300GB at this point. Some maps are nearly 70 gig and individual aircraft have as much code in them as many games do so my "I'll get a 240gig drive just for DCS" plan worked for about 12 months lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X