• Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSOD - Windows 7, help!!!

* Windows 7 laptop
    * Bought June 2013
    * All service packs updated up until the point MS stopped updating them
    * ESET anti-virus and firewall
    * Most software fully updated (Firefox, Skype, etc.)
    * No new hardware installed ever? Unless you count USB mice and stuff?

On 3rd January I had a BSOD. Seemed like a one-off so ignored it.

This morning I have had 6 in a row. I even got a BSOD while in Windows Safe Mode. After the first one this morning I booted into Safe Mode and it went BSOD.

I did not install any new software on 3rd January. before that it was August 2021, and more recently 13th january (Adobe updates). I cannot work out what happened on 3rd January.

Just now I managed to get it to boot, and backed up critical files.

This is my work laptop, so I desperately need it for writing. I can't just buy a new one, since I need to use an old version of Word which allows white text on a blue background (they removed Dark mode from later versions), and also I'm using PagePlus 8 to design book pages. Not sure if it'll run on Win 11. If they can't then I can't use Win 11 at all.

I've got a Minidump, 350kb, but opening it in Notepad++ just shows garbage text.

The BSOD said BAD_POOL_HEADER.

Windows Boot manager said:
    Info: Boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

For the love of god, somebody please tell me I don't need to chuck this thing. it has my entire life on it. Photos. Work. Games. Video. Cookies. Login-saves. Etc.

I suppose I could try to find a repair technician?

I am afraid to switch it off now in case I can never put it back on.

WHAT DO I DO?!?!

Most common cause of BSOD is a memory issue. If your laptop has 2 dimms, try removing one and running a RAM tester, swapping the stick over and running it again. In doing this, reseating the RAM might possibly help.

If you install CPUz or Crucial's Memory config checker it'll tell you what sort of RAM it is. You can get a stick of 4GB DDR3 SODIMM for £5 to check (and then send it back).

Doesn't help if you have soldered RAM, but you haven't said what the laptop is. A 2013 laptop is more likely to have DDR3 SODIMM slots unless it's one of the seriously cheap bargain basement jobbies.
    Last edited by MartyG; 19-01-2022, 12:48.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

It's a Toshiba Intel Core i3 with SSD installed and, I think, I also upgraded the RAM when buying it new. 8.00 GB according to the System screen (7.90 usable).

Pretty sure it's this model which I had the guy at the store beef up (SSD, double the RAM), while also adding Win 7:

It ran perfectly for 9 years.

Opening it, removing RAM, swapping them around, etc. Sounds quite complicated. I might just get a technician to look at that?

I'm hoping it's just a memory issue. How come I am typing on it right now? Whereas earlier is went BSOD. Like, I'm confused as to how it sometimes works and sometimes does not.

Comment

It's really not. The RAM can only go in one way as it's keyed on the socket with two clips either side. So long as you have easy access on the back you'll be fine.

In fact it looks like a doddle on the Portage lappies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpoJsS2KIbc (I'd turn the music vol down tho ). So, RAM of the type I've linked above should work fine in it. Have a look see what's in the RAM slots in it at the mo, take a pic.
        Last edited by MartyG; 19-01-2022, 13:45.

Comment

Currently backing up the HDD (again), then will have a look. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            Most common cause of BSOD is a memory issue.
            Yup. Turned out one of the two ram cards had died. Easy to pop out and replace, now working again.

Thanks Marty. You have no idea the intense level of terror I felt thinking this was the end.

Comment

No probs, glad you got it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                Yup. Turned out one of the two ram cards had died. Easy to pop out and replace, now working again.

Thanks Marty. You have no idea the intense level of terror I felt thinking this was the end.
                Invest in a backup solution, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                  Invest in a backup solution, maybe?
                  I have 6 different computers/laptops. Three portable USB HDDs. USB sticks, SD cards, and burned DVDs.

There's no risk of lost data.

But it's like a comfy pair of shoes. I hate having to recustomise. At first I thought, since I had recently updated Firefox, maybe it was that, in relation to various add-ons. So I refreshed Firefox, losing everything.

I am now spitting feathers at having to recustomise this whole damn browser again. "View Image" in the context menu. Everything dark mode. Smaller horizontal bars. etc. And I swear I used to be able to access "page info" as a tab in my current window before, whereas now it demands its own window.

So basically, if I hate, hate, HATE having to do something as simple as this, imagine my blood hatred for having to recustomise a new computer to my precise liking. It can take, quite literally, years to get it comfy.

Comment

For Firefox, if you copy the profile directory over your new install/update, you'll get everything back. You might have to manually point Firefox to look at the correct profile folder by starting it in safe mode, but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                      For Firefox, if you copy the profile directory over your new install/update, you'll get everything back. You might have to manually point Firefox to look at the correct profile folder by starting it in safe mode, but that's it.
                      I have searched the Mozilla folders in Programs, and cannot find any profile folders?

Comment

Firefox profiles (including browsing history, bookmarks, logins, extensions and their settings) are found in c:\users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefo x
                        If you use Thunderbird it's still there, only in Roaming\Thunderbird\
                        AppData is a hidden directory, but if you type it into the path bar, it'll take you there anyway.

[edit] for some strange reason I'm shown the Firefox path as "Firefo x" instead of "Firefox". Weird.

Comment

Ah, got it. Thanks.

God damn I hate this modern /users/roaming/ crap that Windows now does. The struggle to find save data from PC games is infuriating.

It's why I create a fake Documents folder in C drive, without any of this users nonsense.

Comment

Glad it was just RAM issues. Tbh, I was thinking it was malware. Windows 7 has probably got loads of unpatched zero day exploits and you'd got some ransomware that was failing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                              Ah, got it. Thanks.

God damn I hate this modern /users/roaming/ crap that Windows now does. The struggle to find save data from PC games is infuriating.

It's why I create a fake Documents folder in C drive, without any of this users nonsense.
                              For Firefox, I created an account and sync to their cloud, so everything (bookmarks, history etc) gets pulled down when I put the browser on a new device.
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                              X