Best 3D TV for PS3 gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 3D TV for PS3 gaming

Way back in time I used to have a 3D TV (didn't we all?) and there were some games on PS3 I enjoyed playing in 3D. Or at least that's what my rose tinted memories are telling me, so curiously I decided to see how much I could get a 3D TV for locally on FB and although they vary in price its not bad. But here is where my memory fails me and google too. Which was better for 3D gaming, passive or active 3D. I am guessing game mode and low latency would be something to look for as well.. Maybe?

Does anyone have specific TV recommendations or ones to stay away from. Ideally not over large as it will have to sit in the spare room. Thank you.

Active 3D is better than passive, generally speaking, because it allows you to see the full resolution of the content. Passive glasses sets usually halve the visible resolution in 3D.

However, active has its drawbacks too - daytime usage or usage in a bright room generally doesn't work too well, because the 'shuttering' effect of the glasses (blinking back and forth between opaque and transparent at high speed) becomes quite visible, for example you might notice the wall around your TV flickering. Active glasses can also have a stronger darkening, sunglasses-like effect than passive, which again means they really need a dark room.

All that said - what's generally considered the best 3D TV is the LG E6, which was a 4K OLED with passive glasses. They are still quite in demand today. I think it had some cleverness which meant that while it used passive glasses, it could still deliver full 1080p resolution.

EDIT: If you are looking for a small set to mess around with, you could look out for a Sony PlayStation 3D Display. That was a 24" monitor with active shutter glasses.
    Last edited by wakka; 17-03-2022, 08:38.

Comment

Yes I think a Sony PlayStation 3D Display would probably be perfect. I shall see if I can find one locally. Thank you.

Comment

I have one. It's pretty good.

Comment

It turns out they are quite difficult to get hold of. So I have bought locally a Sony 3D tv with passive glasses and my PS3 games look stunning. Well those that support 3D anyway. Now I am on a quest to purchase all of them, as there actually isn't that many more. Although finding a definitive list is proving to be quite a challenge as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
            It turns out they are quite difficult to get hold of. So I have bought locally a Sony 3D tv with passive glasses and my PS3 games look stunning. Well those that support 3D anyway. Now I am on a quest to purchase all of them, as there actually isn't that many more. Although finding a definitive list is proving to be quite a challenge as well.
            Affordable 3D gaming was a reoccurring theme at this year’s PlayStation E3 keynote, whether it was the announcement of PlayStation's upcoming 3D Gaming Display and redesigned 3D glasses. But even with more sophisticated and affordable 3D technology, we need 3D games to play and 3D movies to watch. That’s where this list comes in: I’ve [...]

Comment

Unfortunately this list with others is missing a few titles. All of the compatible trilogy collections, and COD Black Ops 2 are a couple I have found. It seems it was never updated after the initial flurry, and most lists are based off of this one.

Comment

Not on that list, and well worth trying since it's probably the best implementation of 3D I've seen on a game outside of 3DS, is Puppeteer.

Comment

So I just picked up Ridge Racer 7 and Enslaved, both on the list of 3D titles but not listed on the box so I think it must have been a patch. However I cannot seem to work out how to install the 3D patch. I had assumed it would be automatic and both do update. But no 3D options. Have these been removed from the store? Is there a work around?

Comment

The 3D functionality for Ridge 7 was actually a piece of DLC that you had to go and download from the PSN store, rather than an automatic patch. It def wasn't included on the disc.

But unfortunately I think it may have been de-listed, at least according to this thread:

Comment

Oh, looks like I am too late to the 3D party. This is the problem with a digital future. You have to live in the "now".

Comment

Yeah, it's a real shame how stuff like this just disappears now

It probably IS preserved somewhere if you hack your PS3 for custom firmware, but it'll be a hell of a hassle versus popping onto the PSN store.

If it's any comfort, as I recall the mode wasn't much cop, mostly since it dramatically cut the otherwise locked 60fps framerate.

Comment

Thank you, It is a small comfort. I was playing Virtua Tennis 4 today and that was amazing in 3D. Such a shame it never caught on. Maybe as I now have to live in the now I should consider an Oculus Quest, as many see VR as the natural successor to 3D.

Comment

I have to say I was never the biggest fan of 3D in games personally. Because I had a set that used active shutter glasses, I could only really play in a dark room. Combined with the fact that my plasma wasn't especially bright in the first place, the darkening effect of the glasses themselves, and the reduced framerate of many games in 3D, and the overall effect was somewhat headache inducing - especially on games that had dark colour palettes, like Arkham City.

But as you say, 3D in gaming does live on via VR if you haven't tried one, the headsets are in stereoscopic 3D when you wear them - and the framerate tends to be much better than on PS3 3D titles!

PS3 3D is a fun, quirky area of gaming to explore though! Do get Puppeteer.

Comment

I have got Puppeteer on my list of games and will be trying it soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X