Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a GameCube - need some advice

Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a new Gamecube + GBA player and want it to be flexible to use in my set-up.

1. Can a UK console be forced into 480p? (with an official Nintendo component cable on an FW900 CRT monitor)

2. Will an official UK RGB Scart work with Gameboy player? (specifically Gameboy Interface on a Sony BVM CRT)

Idea being I can play GC games at their maximum and GBI can also be run at it's maximum...

Lastly, I thought I remember hearing that NTSC games don't run correctly in PAL systems (no matter console) is this true? If so can anyone think of a way of utilising an NTSC GC to work in the way I'm trying to get a PAL one to? I know that PAL RGB Scarts do not work on an NTSC system, I know I can use the component via BNC - but am I right in understanding it won't look as good as RGB Scart?

Thanks in advance

You'd need a chip to make it fully region free. US and JPN consoles can be switch modded to work with either ntsc region.

Comment

I used the Freeloader 1.6b with a launch PAL GameCube and several NTSC U and J games and never had a problem, both with RGB and component cables.
      The easiest way to make a GC fully region free is with GC Loader; you need to open the console up but it's a completely solder-free mod and can be done in less than 30 minutes. Then use Swiss to do pretty much whatever you want. The are custom version of the GB Player software for different upscalers for maximum graphical fidelity too.
      Just be sure to pick up a DOL-001 version so you have the Digital Out for component out.

Comment

I would get a PAL Cube with a PicoBoot installed and call it a day.

Comment

PAL Cubes, iirc, had the digital output removed to support RGB. On the most part, only NTSC games supported 480p but I believe a couple PAL games could too. You could get a modifed RGB cable for NTSC Cube which was an amalgam between the digital cable and a standard AV (I own one before I had a component supporting TV). And yes, the GB Player worked perfectly well when attached to said switched NTSC-J Cube I have.

Right now, I don't know what the best options would be, I am only relating to back when the Cube was new and why I came to this forum to ask a question about why my Cube output was in b/w.

(and before you say, no it wasn't because my TV didn't support NTSC, it's because the AV channel I was using could be swapped between composite and S-video input and I had it set to the other one that I was using)

Ah Lik Sang, you were giant enemy crabbed away too soon. They sent me a Cube screw bit after my Cube arrived so I could open the console up as the switch had failed in transit and I was stuck in Japanese mode, so I could manually replace the switch myself.
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Only DOL-101 Cube don't have a digital port. A 001 PAL unit has it, same as any other region.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              Lik Sang,
              Pour one out.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. Consensus seems to be that NTSC games will work fine in a PAL console provided it's modded to some degree.

Out of curiosity does any one know where I can an NTSC RGB Scart cable made if I provided the original cables to be spliced? Or has anyone tried the GCHD just specifically for RGB Scart on NTSC consoles?

Ideally I'd like to keep all my systems NTSC if possible!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Comment

So to achieve RGB on an NTSC machine you need the DAC in the component or d-terminal cables to make that spliced RGB cable. Now those component cables sell for so much it probably makes more sense to get something like a GCHD MK-II which has a reverse engineered Nintendo DAC in it.

Comment

Yeah back when they were a lot cheaper, and could be ordered direct from either Nintendo US or Japan. I've got the modded RGB for NTSC-U and a proper component cable somewhere for the Cube. Although I also have a Wii and the component cable for that, so would be the better option, so I've been told.
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Wonder if one of the many hdmi dongles that are on the market would be a easier way to get a excellent pic instead of going through the hassle of rgb

Comment

The GCHD MK-II offers HDMI out in addition to component and RGB support via more inexpensive Wii cables. HDMI out would be 480p which would depend on the device handling how it looked but it means you would be able to force 480p via Swiss or supported software.

Comment

Sorry guys I have another question - this time it's regarding a NTSC-J White PS2...

Basically I'm trying to avoid using a stepdown converter if possible... Am I right in thinking - that if I take the power supply from a PAL PS2 fat console can I just swap out the one from the Japanese console and play?

Cheers in advance!

Comment

Yeah but I would try and match the model number. SCPH-5000X etc. You can also look for an Asian region model as that will have a 240V PSU. If you are looking at slim consoles though the power brick accepts 100-240V.
                            Last edited by speedlolita; 13-12-2022, 17:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              Yeah back when they were a lot cheaper, and could be ordered direct from either Nintendo US or Japan. I've got the modded RGB for NTSC-U and a proper component cable somewhere for the Cube. Although I also have a Wii and the component cable for that, so would be the better option, so I've been told.
                              Cube with RGB cable or component is better than the Wii with it's component cable, something about the DAC chip.

Although, I believe the Wii has a DAC chip in the console, wonder if anyone has tried using that to create a GC component cable?

Comment

Working...
                              X