New Gaming PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Gaming PC

I'm looking into replacing my PC for about a grand or there abouts. I haven't kept up for a long time and looking into it now, 4K just isn't possible with that budget. I've specced out a 1080p/1440p build but just want to check if I've missed anything obvious / added any parts that don't make sense:

-Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid-Tower Case - £79.99

-MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard - £199.98

-AMD Ryzen 5 7600X - £203.00 (I was going to go for the standard 7600 but it's only £4 cheaper)

-Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler - £32.90

-Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 - £299.99

-CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz - £94.58

-EVGA Supernova 750 G6 Power Supply, 80 Plus Gold 750W - £128.17

-Corsair Force MP600 PRO NH 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 - £69.98

Total: £1,108.59

No Windows, but I believe you can transfer your licence from one PC to another now, which I plan to do.

Looks very reasonable to me. I picked up that cooler for my 5800X3D last month or so and it does a great job for the money. CPU and GPU should serve you well.

Comment

Specs look like a reasonable mid-range PC. Only thing missing is RGB, which obviously makes it go faster. I'd go for G.Skill RAM over Corsair Vengenance as it's 6000 MT - you may find it's not stable at the EXPO profiles, I didn't have the same problems when I swapped mine out for the these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BF8MP83M (it's showing US import there for some reason, mine weren't US imports).

Comment

The other I'd forgotten to mention, assuming you're building this yourself given the parts list, is that the first boot (or after a CMOS clear) will be slow. Like ridiculously slow (although newer BIOSes have increased this a little, MSI boards are some of the slowest booters).

AM5 trains the DDR5 to find the best settings (there are a lot of settings that can be tweaked) and it can take a few minutes whilst you look at a black screen thinking it's broken. My system still seems to take about 30-50 seconds to get off the POST to the Windows boot even now, whereas my AM4 machine is at the desktop in less than 15 seconds.

So, TLDR, if you see a black screen first boot, just give it a few mins before thinking you've messed something up on your build.

Comment

Thanks for the input, gonna get it ordered.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          Looks very reasonable to me. I picked up that cooler for my 5800X3D last month or so and it does a great job for the money. CPU and GPU should serve you well.
          Nice, it kept coming up as the one to go for so seemed like the sensible choice.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          The other I'd forgotten to mention, assuming you're building this yourself given the parts list, is that the first boot (or after a CMOS clear) will be slow. Like ridiculously slow (although newer BIOSes have increased this a little, MSI boards are some of the slowest booters).

AM5 trains the DDR5 to find the best settings (there are a lot of settings that can be tweaked) and it can take a few minutes whilst you look at a black screen thinking it's broken. My system still seems to take about 30-50 seconds to get off the POST to the Windows boot even now, whereas my AM4 machine is at the desktop in less than 15 seconds.

So, TLDR, if you see a black screen first boot, just give it a few mins before thinking you've messed something up on your build.
          Yeah I saw something about that, although I didn't know MSI boards were some of the slowest.

I'll keep that in mind while building it.

Comment

Looks good [MENTION=6808]Cepp[/MENTION] !

Good choice on 1440 resolution too. Back in 2019 when I built my old PC, I had the thought it has to be 4K, but so many YouTube PC makers I followed, said that if you put a game like Gears 5 (I think that was one of the big games at that time) on a 2080ti and a 4K monitor, you could get 60fps from it on mid / high! Well, for my money, one of the best cards of the era struggled to play a newly released game on Ultra in 4K, then I didn't see the point of the outlay.

So I went 2 GPU's down to the 2070 and got a 144hz Monitor at 1440 resolution and so glad I did. You got a true bump up from 1080p, saved a shed load of cash and from when I let it go this year in 2023, it never struggled to play any game on High or Higher settings. The only game that pushed it past breaking point was the mighty, ball busting, Quake II RTX Demo when I went native resolution and up to Ultra!

I've now nabbed my 144hz 1440 Monitor for my home office and it's still lovely to use on a day to day basis, from working on the project at work (Using Visual Studio and Unreal 5) to playing it as a game.

We want pictures once you've built it!

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
              Looks good @Cepp !

Good choice on 1440 resolution too. Back in 2019 when I built my old PC, I had the thought it has to be 4K, but so many YouTube PC makers I followed, said that if you put a game like Gears 5 (I think that was one of the big games at that time) on a 2080ti and a 4K monitor, you could get 60fps from it on mid / high! Well, for my money, one of the best cards of the era struggled to play a newly released game on Ultra in 4K, then I didn't see the point of the outlay.

So I went 2 GPU's down to the 2070 and got a 144hz Monitor at 1440 resolution and so glad I did. You got a true bump up from 1080p, saved a shed load of cash and from when I let it go this year in 2023, it never struggled to play any game on High or Higher settings. The only game that pushed it past breaking point was the mighty, ball busting, Quake II RTX Demo when I went native resolution and up to Ultra!

I've now nabbed my 144hz 1440 Monitor for my home office and it's still lovely to use on a day to day basis, from working on the project at work (Using Visual Studio and Unreal 5) to playing it as a game.

We want pictures once you've built it!
              Yeah 1440p is the plan with a high/variable refresh rate. I'm stuck with a 2014 1080p 60Hz Dell monitor at the moment, but I'll be upgrading that over the coming months as well. Should have it all here by next week. It might not look too flash with the lack of LEDs mind, but as long as it runs everything I'm good

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                Yeah 1440p is the plan with a high/variable refresh rate. I'm stuck with a 2014 1080p 60Hz Dell monitor at the moment, but I'll be upgrading that over the coming months as well. Should have it all here by next week. It might not look too flash with the lack of LEDs mind, but as long as it runs everything I'm good
                Sounds great! You'll be mazed at the difference using a still great 60hz monitor but then switching to anything higher, just moving your mouse on Windows 11 will impress you at the slickness!

Also, I'm with you; RGB lighting is overrated on a PC setup. Some nice clean lights is more than enough, and I'm turned off when even a ****ing pair of headphones has RGB lighting all over the shop!

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                  Also, I'm with you; RGB lighting is overrated on a PC setup. Some nice clean lights is more than enough, and I'm turned off when even a ****ing pair of headphones has RGB lighting all over the shop!
                  Thanks to having a founder's edition video card and going out of my way to desolder the LEDs on the backside of my motherboard (no BIOS toggle) my PC emits zero light.

Comment

Enclosed case, no lights anywhere except on keyboard for functional purposes here!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                      Thanks to having a founder's edition video card and going out of my way to desolder the LEDs on the backside of my motherboard (no BIOS toggle) my PC emits zero light.
                      Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Enclosed case, no lights anywhere except on keyboard for functional purposes here!
                      You're both doing PC gaming right.

Comment

Bit awkward this, as the Mrs did convince me to switch over to a white case and the LED version of the CPU cooler in the end! She's into it and wants the LED case fans as well at some point. I'll see how I feel about it once it's all up and running.

Everything bar the memory has arrived. I did try installing the new GPU in my old PC last night to muck about with and see how far it could take the rig, but the blasted Noctua cooler was blocking the PCI-E release clips. To much hassle to remove it, just got to be patient...

Got my free Starfield code as well, should be a better experience than on Series S I imagine.

Comment

Did you get this built in the end?

Comment

My bad, I meant to update this and even took some quick pics. Yeah it got built and I've been playing Baldur's Gate 3 and to a lessor extent Starfield on it. I did end up changing the RAM to some G.Skill CL30 sticks and got it running without issue at 6000MHz. It does take a bit to start up even after updating the BIOS which feels like a step back, but games run great on it.

I need to change a few small bits, rotate the CPU fans to hide the wires better and such, but I'm very happy with it.

Cheers all
                            Last edited by Cepp; 24-09-2023, 23:43. Reason: Starfield, not Star Citizen

Comment

Working...
                            X