Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaming PC build with £900 (ish) budget. Ability to play Fortnite, FIFA and Spider-Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming PC build with £900 (ish) budget. Ability to play Fortnite, FIFA and Spider-Man

Xmas is coming a one of my kids (aged 10), who will be attending high (senoir - for us oldies) school next year. We tend to get them a computer that can be used for personal stuff and also for school work. My son would like a gaming PC that can run Fortnite, possibly FIFA and the Spider-Man games.

Our budget is £900 (which I think could be a bit of a challenge(?)), but we do have 2 other kids with demands There may be a little wiggle room, but would rather not.

A little look on the net for pre-built PCs (my preferred way as I haven't built a PC for more than over a decade) seems to point builds like this one. However, I'm unsure of whether this could run Spider-Man games at what gfx settings. We currently have a monitor which he uses for his PS/Xbox which is 1080p (I do have a spare monitor that can display 1440p too if need). Also thinking about how long will a spec like this last for the future.

Considering all this, any PC heads who love this type of stuff spare some time to help a fellow NTSC-UKer?

Thanks

While that system isn't too bad the CPU is 3 years old and the GPU is 2 years old so a little on the older side.

Just having a look at the site options I would prefer this build: https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-it-x-ai...or-gaming.html

This is AM5 based so will have some degree of future proofing (CPU upgrade) in addition to having a recently released video card with modern architecture improvements (frame generation, dlss 3.0).

You'll be running well above 60 fps at 1080p with specs like this in Spider-Man.

You may be able to do better if you don't go pre-built but I understand that isn't for everyone.
    Last edited by speedlolita; 21-10-2023, 10:39.

Comment

Thanks for taking time to look. I will check it out. Good points made. Much appreciated.

Comment

The linked AWD system from speedlolita doesn't look too bad if you're not building your own PC, but it's on a 620 mobo (which is bottom tier) and only has a 500GB NVME. Problem with most 620 boards is they don't have a lot of expansion scope, so that NVME is going to run out of space pretty quickly if you start installing a few games (game dependent obvs), and given it only has the one m.2 slot you'll be back to much slower SATA drives after that.

I'd definitely be tempted to go for a larger drive if I were to go with that. Also, don't watch the reviews for the 4060 Ti as you'll walk away thinking it's terrible. It's not, but it's perhaps a little higher priced than it really should be and not a good upgrade for at 3060 Ti, but standing on its own and paired with the 7600, you shouldn't have any problems playing Spider-man on it, maybe even with a bit of RT with DLSS enabled.

Comment

One factor to consider (though I know it's a pain) is whether the Mobo/CPU is the start of the line, or end of the line.

I'm in this boat right now for my gaming PC, where I can't upgrade because my CPU was essentially the best that was ever made before the newer ones changed socket, so I can't use those (it wasn't the absolute end of the line, but so near that an upgrade would be pointless).

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            The linked AWD system from speedlolita doesn't look too bad if you're not building your own PC, but it's on a 620 mobo (which is bottom tier) and only has a 500GB NVME. Problem with most 620 boards is they don't have a lot of expansion scope, so that NVME is going to run out of space pretty quickly if you start installing a few games (game dependent obvs), and given it only has the one m.2 slot you'll be back to much slower SATA drives after that.

I'd definitely be tempted to go for a larger drive if I were to go with that. Also, don't watch the reviews for the 4060 Ti as you'll walk away thinking it's terrible. It's not, but it's perhaps a little higher priced than it really should be and not a good upgrade for at 3060 Ti, but standing on its own and paired with the 7600, you shouldn't have any problems playing Spider-man on it, maybe even with a bit of RT with DLSS enabled.
            I do agree that a larger NVMe wouldn't hurt at all, but I don't think a lone NVMe is as limiting as you're making out. I don't think a SATA SSD is in any way a bottleneck currently either (besides those few titles that do support DirectStorage).

Cool Dad by the way, I'm sure a system of these specs is going to blow away a 10 year old.
            Last edited by speedlolita; 21-10-2023, 21:39.

Comment

I said the 620 board limits future expansion and it does, that is something to be aware of. The board's VRM for example has a 120W TDP limit which could impact future upgrades, and I've found MSI boards to be more finicky with DDR5, no USB-C for you, 2 RAM slots, only one further PCIEx4 slot, no overclocking etc.

For £900 I don't think it's badly priced for those specs but it had to cut corners somewhere and they've gone there with the lowest-end AM5 board there is.
              Last edited by MartyG; 22-10-2023, 08:02.

Comment

Working...
              X