LED strips for furniture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED strips for furniture

Not quite a tech question, but does anyone have a few pointers about LED strips for furniture, especially to light up inside glass cabinets (think Ikea Detolf, only larger)? I've searched around local retailers and there are many solutions with very little instructions/examples on how they work: for example, do strips include adhesives to attack them to frames; what do I need to do to extend a strip? Can I cut and bend strips to fit the furniture?
    I'm looking for a simple setup, just a white light is enough.
    Any help appreciated.

Can you solder?

Because how i did it i bought a whole roll of white LED strips then cut lengths and stuck them under the middle of each shelf then used wire to connect them all together with soldering then bought a suitable power supply to power them all. A lot of led strips have adhesive backing and you can cut them to length at the designated cut points and then connect them together. That was a long time ago though so there may be a more easy way to do it now but at the time i couldn't find anything suitable that didnt stand out and look ugly.

These are what i did. As you can see from above the led strips dont stand out that much but they light up evenly in the cabinet although my wire routing could have been a bit neater.

Last edited by importaku; 29-10-2023, 15:38.

Comment

No soldering skills, I'm looking for pre-assembled (or something that doesn't need soldering and a lot of electrical skill) solutions.

Comment

Sad to hear Toshiyuki Kakuta's fallen on hard times; please let him know I've a set of garden chairs he's welcome to.

(sorry)

From memory of when I was last in store, I believe Ikea's solution for Detolfs is mostly oriented around spotlights, but I do also know that you could just as easily take any of their LED strip lighting that's more typically in wardrobes or under kitchen cupboards. I see STÖTTA, ROLFSTORP, SKYDRAG, VATTENSTEN being possibilities? The sensor side of things is probably less interesting given I'm assuming you'll have the doors closed 99% of the time.

If you wanted to go right off the deep end you could get Philips Hue strip lights, but to bring things back to a slightly more sensible place there's also countless cheaper versions of products from that ecosystem that still let you do fun smart app (ass?) things with them. Certainly if you search for Hue stuff on Amazon you'll see plenty of examples of the clones. You may or may not want colours changing, flashing and so on in time with whatever music you're playing, but the option's there I guess.

I'm useless re: soldering / electrics and had to ditch the Detolfs I did have, but am watching this closely for times when space would allow a nice big display unit like you're talking about.

Comment

The LEDs won't be for Ikea forniture, the mention to Detolf is because what I want to light up is a glass cabinet like a Detolf.
          Philips' LEDs are a common result, I was looking for some concrete experience and suggestions on what to buy (or not). Lack of a mobile app is a definite plus, totally not gonna link a LED strip to the phone/wifi.

Comment

Working...
          X