Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the difference

hi
    im thinking of getting a 25" monitor to play my consoles/supergun on.
    The monitor im gonna get is VGA/SVGA with a 15 pin D socket,all my consoles and supergun are RGB scart so i think i would need one of these

heres the link: http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product...id=101&sku=592

or

heres the link: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=2875&

so what im wondering is whats the difference between these 2 produts because the first one i can get for about ?45 and the second one is about $200 so theres a bit of a price difference
    any help would be great
    cheers
    Trev

Just buy yourself a 25 inch RGB television, You only go the XRGB route if your in the US and don't have access to RGB tv's.

Your doing it the wrong way, More expense + a picture filtered through convertors.

Comment

Originally posted by Kron
      Just buy yourself a 25 inch RGB television, You only go the XRGB route if your in the US and don't have access to RGB tv's.

Your doing it the wrong way, More expense + a picture filtered through convertors.
      the thing is kron i want a monitor so i can play TATE games on it and most TV's dont like being put on there sides,what do you think

Comment

I think you'd be better off finding a decent TV that doesn't mind being turned 45 degrees.

What ever you do try to avoid LCD's if that was your original plan, Through an XRGB filtered display the blur would be very noticable.

Comment

I think you'd be better off finding a decent TV that doesn't mind being turned 45 degrees.

What ever you do try to avoid LCD's if that was your original plan, Through an XRGB filtered display the blur would be very noticable.
          ok cheers kron,would work out alot cheaper too,btw youwouldnt know of any TV's like the ones you metioned

Comment

Don't forget a 25 inches TV will be too heavy to turn round

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary
              Don't forget a 25 inches TV will be too heavy to turn round
              yeah thats what i was thinking to begin with

Comment

Considering I tate a 29" Sony, 25" really won't be too heavy to turn around.

Just leave it for 15 minutes on its side turned off and its fine.

I wouldn't be sure what to recommend nowadays as most TV's tend to have pointless filters and stupid modes that you'll never use, If you can try and get an older Sony model.

Obviously don't get a widescreen but widescreen TV's are pretty crap for gaming anyway unless you like messed up aspect ratios.

Comment

Considering I tate a 29" Sony, 25" really won't be too heavy to turn around.

Just leave it for 15 minutes on its side turned off and its fine.

I wouldn't be sure what to recommend nowadays as most TV's tend to have pointless filters and stupid modes that you'll never use, If you can try and get an older Sony model.

Obviously don't get a widescreen but widescreen TV's are pretty crap for gaming anyway unless you like messed up aspect ratios.
                  ok kron i take a look on ebay or in the free ads

take a look at what this geezer TATE's

Comment

I'd agree with Kron, a straight forward TV is going to serve you much better than a vga monitor and rgb -> vga adaptor combo.

However... If you mainly buy DC, GameCube, or Xbox games you can get 'native' vga adaptors that instead of converting 480i take 480p straight from the console. Heres the breakdown:

Dreamcast

- supports vga out of the box, needs simple vga adaptor. (~ ?15)
                    - approx 85% vga software support
                    - boot menu supports vga
                    - switches to vga mode automatically

GameCube
                    - modded prog scan component video cable (~ ?50)
                    - approx 95% 480p software support
                    - boot menu does not support vga
                    - have to switch to vga mode manually each time

Xbox

- modded prog scan component video cable plus component -> RGB transcoder (~ ?50)
                    - approx 90% 480p software support
                    - dashboard does not support vga
                    - switches to vga mode automatically (once set in Dashboard)

PS2
                    - modded prog scan component video cable plus component -> RGB transcoder (~ ?25)
                    - approx 1% 480p software support (rest can be forced with boot disk, but looks nasty)
                    - boot menu does not support vga
                    - have to switch to vga mode manually each time

You'd still need a vga upscan converter for the supergun.

It depends how much grief you're willing to put up with too, switching manually on the GameCube and PS2 can be a pain.

I remember years ago people used to buy Hantarex video wall monitors for tate:

Hantarex manufacture lots of video monitors for arcade machines. Their video wall monitors used the same tubes, but came in a cube casing which was easily tatable.

Probably too expensive nowadays, and being cube shaped you don't get a brilliant viewing angle.

One thing, if you do get a normal TV, make sure you don't get one with a Trinitron tube (or variant). The tube's rgb mesh is much flimsier on a Trinitron, so tating it is asking for trouble. The meshes have been known to shift or fall off, ruining the TV.

Comment

cheers for all the help guys and BTW papercut it was the hantarex monitors i was looking at but i think ill go for a cheap TV with RGB scart also it was lucky you mentioned the trinitron cause thats what i was gonna get

Comment

Why not contact Home Cinema Choice magazine to see if there is anything they can recommend.

I would say plasma TV but they are too expensive. But imagine a 42 inches screen to play shoot them up

Look at New Street Railway station time table. For example.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary
                          I would say plasma TV but they are too expensive. But imagine a 42 inches screen to play shoot them up

that would be way cool but out of my leage im affraid

Comment

Working...
                          X