Step-down Mayhem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Step-down Mayhem!

Firstly sorry for another step-down question but I can't find the answer anywhere on these forums so here goes...

Which stepdown do I need for the Playstation 1 NTSC version. I have one already for my Super Famicom, will this suffice?

Also, will a PAL memory card work in an NTSC Playstation? I can't afford to lose data as I am about to tackle FF Tactics and Chrono Cross for the first time!

Cheers

What's the power consumption of a PS1? (presume you mean the grey thing, not the PSONE). Look on the bottom for W or VA (same thing). Then check the power supplied by your stepdown and make sure it is a fair bit more than the PS1 consumption. Let us know what the PS1 number is btw.

Comment

PAL PS1 is 50hz 12W - does this mean that the NTSC one will be similar?

Also any ideas about the memory card compatibility situation?

Comment

Not sure about the mem card, but I thought PS1 and PS2 cards were fine to use on multiple regions, anyone confirm?

So what's your stepdown wattage? 45-50W is fine.

Comment

Thanks

I have been completely confusing myself with looking at sites for industrial converters with huge wattages - it is safe to say what I know about electrics could be written on the back of a memory card.... and on that topic; can anybody confirm the compatibility?

Comment

There are no issues with compatibility apart from you have to use PS1 cards for PS1 and PS2 type for PS2. Games saves of different regions can co-exist on a card.

Comment

Excellent, thanks....

Does this compatibility also transfer to controllers of the PS 1 type?

Comment

AFAIK, the only things that aren't multi-region are the consoles and games. All PS1/2 accessories are cross-compatible. I think.

Comment

Does anyone who knows what they are talking about fancy doing a matrix of console/memory card/accessories region compatability? For major consoles back to the Famicom or whatever?

Comment

Sounds like an excellent idea for a feature.

Does anyone know specifically why Gamecube memory cards are not meant to have Japanese game saves along with English game saves on it? Did they implement this on purpose?

erm.. with regards to the Famicom, the second model of US/PAL NES had security chips removed making them multiregion, and Japanese 3DO games sometimes had trouble loading on US systems, since despite being multiregioned, they had/needed some extra ram for all the kanji.
                    So some games as a result became incompatible.
                    If Im not mistaken, I think the Japanese version of Road Rash couldnt have any in game music on a Western system, since it ran out of ram loading all the kanji... could be wrong though.

Comment

Working...
                    X