Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gamecube VGA cable

hi,

i would like to know if there are any Gamecube VGA cables out there. i am interested in connecting my GC US ver. to my monitor but i don't know where to get one. i am not talking about those line doublers, i want a VGA cable for GC progressive scan compatible games.

any help is appreciated...

thanks!

Aegen, send a private message to Saurian as he makes them.

Comment

Originally posted by Plow King
      Aegen, send a private message to Saurian as he makes them.
      I thought he just makes RGB cables?

I'm looking for a decent way of connecting my GC to my monitor but i've heard too many horror stories about the picture quality being bad.

Comment

I have always done VGA cables for Cube as well as RGB

The horror stories you have heard must be from people who dont have the skill to do the mod properly. My VGA cables offer superb picture guality and the workmanship is like that of an official cable.
        The only issue with the Gamecube VGA cable is that the gamma level is lower than ideal so you will have to turn up the value on the monitor controls.

Comment

Hi Saurian, does your cable work with any GC or only on NTSC Cubes in games with a Progressive Scan mode? If it's the latter will a PAL Cube with Freeloader still output the Progressive Scan signal? Also, i presume it's a true VGA signal, not a crap line doubled effort like the wanky boxes from Redant?

If so, how much do you charge for them?

Comment

Yeah it's true VGA

It will only work on games which offer the Progressive Scan mode. The gamecube boot sequence and menu cannot be viewed correctly - you get a proper image when you switch to Progressive Scan mode when you boot a game.

Not sure about using it with Freeloader tho - never tried it, but I assume the Progressive mode is software based.

I charge ?40 for VGA cables

Comment

Is there a list anywhere of all the GC games that support Progressive Scan? I assume they always remove it from PAL games?

I'm sorely tempted to give it a go with Freeloader

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                I have always done VGA cables for Cube as well as RGB

The horror stories you have heard must be from people who dont have the skill to do the mod properly. My VGA cables offer superb picture guality and the workmanship is like that of an official cable.
                The only issue with the Gamecube VGA cable is that the gamma level is lower than ideal so you will have to turn up the value on the monitor controls.
                Thats good to know... I may get one from you when I've got a bit more cash and investigated which games support it.

Comment

thanks for the replies.

how different is this GC VGA from Lan Kwie with Saurian VGA cable?

Comment

Saurians cables are professional quality, I have an RGB one and it's fantastic. I'd rather buy off him than Lan Kwei to be honest. I have heard no complaints about Saurian but I have heard more than a few about Lan Kwei. I havn't checked that link but even if the Lan Kwei cable is cheaper it's still not worth it in my mind.

Comment

You will not get progressive scan with freeloader on a UK cube its been tried and it doesn't work. Only way VGA cable will work is with a US or JAP [or a US/JAP switchable :] cube. And Saurian does fantastic work on the cable making and modding side.

Regards,
                      Neil.

Comment

Just a quickie to echo Neils post.

I have one of Saurians RGB cables, and am contemplating buying a VGA cable as well. Mind you, the jump to Saurs full RGB was enough to make me play all my old games again.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                          Not sure about using it with Freeloader tho - never tried it, but I assume the Progressive mode is software based.
                          I can't get NTSC games to run in progressive scan with the Freeloader (1.04 or 1.06b) and a PAL GameCube. I've tried about 10 (US and JPN), and they all crash when switching to prog scan mode.

Prog scan must depend on some system calls that are different or non-existant on PAL GameCubes.

edit oops, just noticed Neil already said as much.

Comment

Working...
                          X