Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Programming Thread (was New to Programming)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody know what the difference is between 'Beginning Programming with C++ for Dummies' and 'C++ for Dummies'? Both books seem to assume that the person is a newcomer to programming. My instinct tells me that the first would be a better place to start.

Comment

Get the deitel & deitel book mate. It's the one I used when teaching c++. I'm assuming it's been updated. Post a link when you find it and I'll check if you like.

Comment

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I've come across a very well presented and free code tutorial site called www.codeacademy.com. It's all done on the site too.

Going to try the Ruby course tonight after work. I did one and it rewards you medals! I mean...I'm so going to want to learn now....gold friggin medal!
        Last edited by hudson; 21-01-2014, 12:50.

Comment

I did, a page back, but it deserves exposue because it's marvellous. Still beavering away at the Javascript tut(and by beavering away I mean didn't touch it for ages).

The medals are ace!

Comment

I've found there are quite a few of these sites. Namely Code School and Treehouse.

I had a quick look at a Ruby tutorial on Code School and it was amazingly presented looking like a Mega Man game.

Before being enticed by video game (aargh my weakness), I decided to look all these sites up to see if they were worth it and to see which one had the most positive reviews.

From what I read, it seemed Treehouse was the most positively talked about. Mainly due to it's structure (tracks, videos and achievements). After giving Treehouse a go, I did find it more engaging. It had me downloading software (Ruby on Rails - I think this is more to my needs for what I want to achieve), I was creating simple dynamic content (status update) and learning and using github. I had it all going on locally which seemed to make more sense than doing it online on a website.

The tutorial, was pretty long, but enjoyable. The video teachers are quite amusing and quirky too. You can quit and resume at any time. Tutorials are usually based on making a project, so you may find yourself delving into things like HTML and css like my tutorial did.

I'm going to stick this Treehouse one out for a bit. There's a 2 week trial, but then it's about 8 quid a month.

Sign up for expert-led video courses to start your journey into coding, programming, and design. Perfect for beginners, intermediate, and advanced learners.

We've integrated the interactivity from Code School into the Pluralsight platform. Grow your skills with code courses, assessments, paths and expert-led content on today’s most in-demand technologies.
            Last edited by hudson; 23-01-2014, 06:29.

Comment

Cool find. Sensible pricing too. The rails framework is amazing in what you can achieve so quickly.

Comment

wrong place doh
                Last edited by Lebowski; 23-01-2014, 12:22.

Comment

So....

My helpdesk job has a programming goal. C#, to be precise. The company's internal applications are written in it and they were looking for someone who either is a programmer or is interested/willing to learn.

That's me!

All the programming guides here in the office are in Japanese so I'm looking online for now. Might pop in to Tsutaya or somewhere and see if there are any decent, used C# books in English.

Comment

Ebooks might be the way to go. Got to be easier to get English text that way. Good luck!

Comment

Do you know a certain russian website for obtaining textbooks? I'll see what I have in my collection at home.

Comment

Are you proposing he steal textbooks?

Comment

Er...I forgot to mention how reasonable shipping books from Amazon UK is to other countries. There are also a few English language books on Amazon Japan on the subject.

Comment

Lol. I always find it interesting that as gamers we are, for the most part, anti game piracy yet don't apply the same rule to other media. I regularly get TV shows handed to me on a memory stick at work and think nothing of it but wouldn't pirate games.

Comment

I have digital versions of most of my textbooks for school as well as having paid for the physical version. They are just more convenient at times, but there's nothing like leafing through a proper textbook.

Comment

So this is actually happening.

My manager has ordered my copy of Visual Studio.

Right now I'm learning SQL so I can get an idea of how our databases actually work. One of my goals for 2016 is to take my manager's old programs and update them to work with the newer database thing called TeraData.

Here's hoping it won't be a waste of ?130,000...

Comment

Working...
                                X