No announcement yet.

Customs Charges Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know the number for UPS in the UK if I want to pay a customs charge? They are scheduled to deliver something to me today but I know no-one will be paying on the door...

edit: bah, found it and paid but they're saying it's not due for delivery till Tuesday. No SSFIV for me this weekend
    Last edited by fuse; 30-04-2010, 09:40.

Comment

hmmm they should have a number, try 118 or something. ok nevermind.

Comment

looking to pick up a jp 360 slim from Renchi, they look to be best value. Is it worth trying to ask them to mark down the value of the 360, or due to the size of the item is this likely to be stopped and checked by customs?
        Also if I just go ahead and order without it being marked down, what are the customs charges likely to be, also does anyone know which couriers they use?
        Thanks

Comment

Slightly confused with custom charges on a parcel from Japan...

Bought said item from Japan,label clearly states value 5000yen(gift option)
          current exchange rates=?38-?40.

No Import Duty fee.
          No Excise Duty fee.

But got stung for VAT at ?17.88...surely that's wrong! or am I missing something????

Comment

Even if it states it is a gift, and comes from a retailer, I'm sure they ignore the GIFT label. IIRC it is only the higher limit if it is a gift from one person to another.

Comment

Originally posted by elaniel View Post
              Even if it states it is a gift, and comes from a retailer, I'm sure they ignore the GIFT label. IIRC it is only the higher limit if it is a gift from one person to another.
              that's the thing,it's from a friend not a retailer....

Comment

That is weird man, i'd chase it up if i were you!

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
                  Slightly confused with custom charges on a parcel from Japan...

Bought said item from Japan,label clearly states value 5000yen(gift option)
                  current exchange rates=?38-?40.

No Import Duty fee.
                  No Excise Duty fee.

But got stung for VAT at ?17.88...surely that's wrong! or am I missing something????
                  Does that include handling fees?

It is possible the customs agent didn't believe the value and looked up how much a 360 costs over here to get the VAT value. I believe they can sometimes be quite thorough in their research

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                    Does that include handling fees?

It is possible the customs agent didn't believe the value and looked up how much a 360 costs over here to get the VAT value. I believe they can sometimes be quite thorough in their research
                    Seems like there chancers to me...box wasn't opened so how can they know what I had purchased?

It did state it was a used video games console...btw it wasn't a 360(see retro thread)Think I'll query it..

Comment

How much was the shipping? VAT (sadly and god knows why) is levelled on the combined customs declaration value and the shipping total.
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

postage=8600 yen
                        value= 5000 yen

that would work out right.It's the total cost of bringing the goods into the country.
                        Last edited by garrz32; 18-09-2010, 16:48.

Comment

Weird question, but it's customs-related so I don't care:

My flatmate's parents sent her a box of her clothes and declared the lot at about ?200. She's been charged ?22 customs, ?40-odd import VAT and also the ?13.50 fee by Parcelforce.

Is there a chance they could lower/scrap it at all? Seeing as it's all been done already, I expect not...

Going to ring them tomorrow to see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
                            Weird question, but it's customs-related so I don't care:

My flatmate's parents sent her a box of her clothes and declared the lot at about ?200. She's been charged ?22 customs, ?40-odd import VAT and also the ?13.50 fee by Parcelforce.

Is there a chance they could lower/scrap it at all? Seeing as it's all been done already, I expect not...

Going to ring them tomorrow to see what they say.
                            You could tell them to return to sender then get them to resend it a different way ( ie not by ems) also find a vat free item and get them to add that, if she can prove original ownership you may get round the vat and charges too worth a try imo

Comment

Cheers for replying.

I phoned HMRC yesterday and the guy said to pay the charge and get the package, fill in a few forms, send them and they'll arrange a full refund(minus the ?13.50) as she's a student, so she's going to do that.

Comment

Any idea if this cleared or not?

Comment

Working...
                                X