Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Light
    Guys.. need some advice.

If I have a friend in the state's who's willing to send me an xbox360 through a courier (e.g. ups or dhl), and he marks the package as "gift", then am I going to be hit by customs charges or not? Should he mark the value as $400 or below... Thanks for any advice..
    to be honest if he marks the parcel as $400 - you will probably get charged if its marked as a gift - but some slip through

gift in the eyes of the customs and excise is a conveinent word - you would have to prove with absolute resolution that you paid absolutely nothing for it - it was infact 'a gift' and that includes shipping, even if you tell then you paid 1 cent - the overall value of the package is over ?18 therefore you are entitled to pay duty

had this arguement with them over a set of samba maraccas with the word gift on the package

to make sure you would have to mark it as a gift or a sample with a value of under ?18 - which brings in a little risk

risk with the parcel going missing and risk that customs decides to open your parcel at mount pleasant and them knowing the correct value, which means you could get charged and the item confiscated

retro stuff is pretty easy as most wont have a clue

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon
      to be honest if he marks the parcel as $400 - you will probably get charged if its marked as a gift - but some slip through

gift in the eyes of the customs and excise is a conveinent word - you would have to prove with absolute resolution that you paid absolutely nothing for it - it was infact 'a gift' and that includes shipping, even if you tell then you paid 1 cent - the overall value of the package is over ?18 therefore you are entitled to pay duty

had this arguement with them over a set of samba maraccas with the word gift on the package

to make sure you would have to mark it as a gift or a sample with a value of under ?18 - which brings in a little risk

risk with the parcel going missing and risk that customs decides to open your parcel at mount pleasant and them knowing the correct value, which means you could get charged and the item confiscated

retro stuff is pretty easy as most wont have a clue
      Hm.... well, I doubt the package would get lost really... its going to be pretty heavy and big I'd imagine since it would be the premium pack and it would be tracked of course. If I ask him to mark it at ?200, how much tax may I be liable to pay? Obviously I'll tell them I didn't pay anything for it... that its an early christmas present.

Comment

Marked at ?200 you'd probably pay about ?40-50 duty.

(about ?35 VAT, a few quid for import tax and whatever admin fee from the delivery company themselves)
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Thanks, Mayhem. What do you think is the best value to mark it at then? He'll send it out on the 22nd... I doubt mount pleasant would know the value of the 360 if it was just released..... or do you think i'm being too naiive? I really don't want to pay anything over ?40...

Comment

I think you should send it by normal usps uninsured and with a value of $399...

You will get charged customs including on the postage and then there is courier fees... but at the end of the day you will get an ntsc 360... and for the rest of it's lifespan you can import 360 games relatively risk free from your friend (gifts and under ?18)... a good trade off imo.

I suggest you just take the hit on a large and conspicuous item such as a 360. If they confiscate the item due to that, your name and address will go on their **** list and everything else you import will get a close inspection. Friends and family in America is cool... if you got an online shop to deliver it to you, you sometimes don't have a choice on postage costs or what courier they use... Parcel Force charged me ?20 on something that costs $70 just in courier fee (that's not even taking taxes into account).

Remember to also get a correct currency convertor (plug) to play in UK sockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Light
              Hm.... well, I doubt the package would get lost really... its going to be pretty heavy and big I'd imagine since it would be the premium pack and it would be tracked of course. If I ask him to mark it at ?200, how much tax may I be liable to pay? Obviously I'll tell them I didn't pay anything for it... that its an early christmas present.
              if you want to put the full value on it i would use DHL

they charge the smallest admin fee out of all the companies

something like 1% or ?1.50 whichever is the highest

oh and DHL lost a PSP which was sent from VG+ - So things can get lost

they stuck it in the wrong container and shipped it too a different country and it was never seen again

and it was only tracked as far as the depot in Canada

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon
                if you want to put the full value on it i would use DHL

they charge the smallest admin fee out of all the companies

something like 1% or ?1.50 whichever is the highest

oh and DHL lost a PSP which was sent from VG+ - So things can get lost

they stuck it in the wrong container and shipped it too a different country and it was never seen again

and it was only tracked as far as the depot in Canada
                Are you serious... that little? Sweet... I'd still get hammered by customs for the full value though... 17.5 @ 300 = ?52.5, plus there's still import tax.

Hmmm.. I might ask him to mark it at ?200.. that'll be more reasonable.. a bit risky perhaps though.

Do you remember the admin fee that UPS charges by any chance? I haven't used them in a year so I can't remember myself....

Comment

ups charge ?11 admin fee

Comment

Has anyone successfuly claimed VAT back from Yesasia? If so, what sort of proof do they require etc.

I just got a card through the door saying I need to pay ?30.25 for something. (?26.25 VAT, ?4.00 "Clearance fee"). I can only assume it's the PSP I ordered.

Comment

thought you get vat free from yesasia did it come by courier ? as i'm wanting to know before i order the giga pack

you need to fax/email them

taken from yesasia help section

Note for U.K. shoppers:
                      If you use Standard Shipping, you should not be charged VAT fees. In the event that fees are incurred, you may contact our Customer Service Department to request a refund in YesAsia Credit. Please note that an official receipt from your local customs agent or from our logistics agent is required to successfully claim a refund. Our customer service team will guide you through the procedure once we receive your refund request.

Comment

Haven't collected it yet, but I think it was just sent registered air mail from HK.

Comment

Has anyone had any problems importing their 360, any updates on you guys who were planning to? How much did you get taxed etc..

Comment

I'm thinking of using Yesasia 'cause I like the idea of no VAT charges.
                            Could someone please tell me if you have to claim for the Yesasia credit everytime your ordered item arrives.
                            It's appealing, but I'm worried that I'll be charged for VAT every time an item comes, and I don't want to be constantly paying VAT charges and having to order another items as a result - creating some kind of never-ending credit claim.

Cheers.

Comment

@ Giga_Death: I imported an Xbox 360 + Ridge Racer 6 from Lik Sang, just before Xmas. It was delivered by UPS and I was charged the following:

Value of goods: $504.89

UPS fee: ?11.00
                              Import VAT: ?61.26
                              Total: ?72.26

I also ordered DOA4 and an extra wireless pad that turned up yesterday, and I got charged ?28 on those as well. I paid the delivery bloke at the door by cheque. I think I might switch to DHL if they have a lower admin fee.

I forget what it was, but I bought something a few months ago and thought I'd got away without paying any import fees... then a letter turns up from UPS saying the driver forgot to ask for the money when he delivered, so pay up

I think that's worse than having to pay when they deliver, because you think you've got away with it and then the bastards get you anyway!
                              Last edited by zutonic; 06-01-2006, 21:54.

Comment

Big question then....DHL or UPS?

Personal opinions and experiences guys?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X