No announcement yet.

NTSC-UK Import PlayStation 3 FAQ v2.0 [updated: 18/04/2007]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is NCSX the only place that will import a Japanese PS3 to the UK?
    It looks like it will be US$740, this seems like a lot. How much will import duty be on top of that as well.

I want a Japanese one for my PS2 games.

Comment

There are a few people around here with HK PS3s, which would play your ntsc-j ps1 and ps2 games. I got mine second hand, not sure where people were sourcing HK machines from though...

Originally posted by Strolls View Post
      You need to repartition to install Linux, although you can use the "backup system" to save your save-games & restore them afterwards.
      Cheers for the reply there - it seemed as if this is what was needed, but glad to have it confirmed by someone who has tried it.

I have a 20GB ipod kicking about - I'll see if the PS3 can pick that up as a storage device.

... although if I can't backup my Minna no Golf save, Ps3 Linux is going to be a no go, unless I pick up another hdisk

Comment

Does anyone know which region DVDs the HK machine plays? I have a Japanese machine, but have much more HK DVDs than JPN ones, which is pretty annoying as they don't play on the JPN PS3. Just out of interest more than anything?

Comment

I got a PS3 brought back from the US at the weekend it died the day after I opened the box.

Now what can I do with the 1 year warranty here in the UK?

Comment

I'm pretty sure SCEE won't touch it, you'll have to warranty it in the US or pay for a repair over here. Worth phoning them to find out though.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
              I'm pretty sure SCEE won't touch it, you'll have to warranty it in the US or pay for a repair over here. Worth phoning them to find out though.
              So would the warranty still cover it being over here?

I'm not actually too keen in sending it all that way and the cost. I think the fan has gone in from what I've read. How easy is that to replace as there is an import place I know hopefully they would fix it and I know this would viod the warranty.

Comment

I'm sure someone else had this problem and the end result was to ship it out to Sony in the US (And cover the cost) or pay for repair over here. I've not had any problems with mine so I'm not talking from experience.

I'd chance your hand with SCEE (It's not as if you've done anything illegal after all) and failing that get a quote from the repair centre you mention.

Comment

Thanks for your replies Number45,

I've sent SCEE UK an e-mail hopefully they get back to me soon.

Comment

Originally posted by On The Edge of Insanity View Post
                    Does anyone know which region DVDs the HK machine plays? I have a Japanese machine, but have much more HK DVDs than JPN ones, which is pretty annoying as they don't play on the JPN PS3. Just out of interest more than anything?
                    I have a HK machine - it plays region 3 DVDs.

Comment

When my PS3 died (few pages back in this topic). I called SCEE and they said I couldn't send it in because it was a USA machine and they wouldn't know how to fix it (lol?). According to them it is so different from their EU system that they can't touch it. I even offered to pay for the repair and they still wouldn't. I mailed SCEA and after 3 days I got a retarded auto-reply with some stuff I already tried (-_-) and mentioned in my email that I already tried them, yet they list them anyway...

I didn't really feel like sending my broken PS3 to the USA even if they let me, but that was basically the only option I had left if they let me. I asked them in my email, but they chose to completely ignore that paragraph of my email. I do think though that IF they let you, you'll need to have a friend in the USA who can ship it to them and/or to which they can ship it back, since I'm 99% sure their answer to ship it to Europe will be no. I asked that too in my email, but... they completely ignored that part like I said.

I was emailing a german shop around the same time as the email to Sony, shortly after the reply from Sony which had no use I got an email from them. According to the german shop my PS3 had an overheating problem. They also said they heard of the problem before and that they couldn't fix it, but Sony could.

I ended up buying a new one. *hopes this one doesn't break*
                      I gave it ALOT of air space now. Old PS3 had air space that was decent and what I use for just about every other console here in my room without a problem even the 360 right besides it which never broke (had it since 360 release *knocks on wood*), but wasn't enough for the PS3 I guess. So now it enjoys a space in my cupboard in which I could place 3 PS3's instead of just 1.

Comment

Got my 20gb PS3 from vg+ last december now its just about stopped working,

It no longer accepts a video signal via HDMI or composite cable, I can very rarely get a signal if I try resetting the display settings by holding down the power button for 5 seconds, it works for a few minutes then the system locks up and the screen goes pixilated & blocky. Also the system won't switch on with the controller either via the usb cable or wirelessly.

does anyone know of somewhere in the UK who'll look at it & hopefully repair it?
                        Last edited by blazing-star; 19-10-2007, 15:28.

Comment

I thought it was working again just now, it booted up without any blank screens & freezes the controller synced with the ps3 , Folklore loaded up and seemed to be ok until I tried installing it, then it stuck at 69% with no hdd activity.

I'm starting the think the hdd is faulty, but would that cause the other problems I've been having, stated in my previous post?

Comment

A faulty HDD could certainly cause the machine to lock up and display crazy colours, though the console not turning on wirelessly is wierd.

I have the 20GB that came with my machine (I now have 120GB) which I don't mind sticking in a jiffy bag and sending if you want it.

Comment

Thanks thats very kind of you.

Comment

Its the first time I've had any problems with any of my consoles, just been lucky that way until now.

If it turns out not to by the HDD I'll have to buy another PS3 as I've just spend a few hundred on japanese blu-ray stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X