Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force (JP XB360, First Play)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force (JP XB360, First Play)

The Fourth is the Force. Apparently.

What does that even mean?

So I gave this a bit of an extended play time last night, and I honestly can't decide what to make of it.

I got into Oratorio Tangram quite a bit so thought it would be a given that i'd like this. Initial impressions were... disappointing. I was fully aware that the speed of play was much slower and I even played Virtual-On Marz and didn't think that was too bad, but this really didn't click with me when I started playing it.

First game was an arcade mode game with a friend, doing split screen co-op, which I thought was a real nice idea to do actually. Until the game started, and the screen is split into some absolutely RIDICULOUS size where it's trying to force two 4:3 boxes together in the middle of the screen. The screen area per person is absolutely tiny and from a distance we could just about play it, but seriously... that could've been implemented so much better.

As far as the gameplay was concerned, my friend didn't really have much of an idea what he was doing but still seemed to be doing okay for himself. It's easier to get into than VO:OT for sure, probably due to the slower speed of gameplay. I taught him a few things like dash cancelling, and jump cancelling to regain sight of the enemy and he was well on his way.

From what I can tell they've removed the different functions of left and right turbo, meaning you now just have one style of turbo attack. I kinda like this, I kinda don't.

The freeze that you get from dash firing has been nullified somewhat, making it a lot harder to pinpoint your attacks for when they're in their animation freeze. Once you've dash fired, you can immediately jump out of the freeze, then land and continue, but there's a small freeze here which you can abuse. So instead of waiting for them to dash then fire, you wait for them to dash, then wait for them to jump, and time your attack so it lands the moment they hit the ground, chances are they'll floor it and take massive damage.

Close combat is an odd one. It's now far easier to sidestep attack, and close combat moves are generally much more effective now for all characters, but at the same time they're just so much easier to guard and the AI in some of the later arcade levels will simply block everything you do then retaliate with force, if you don't jump cancel your melee attack then get the hell out.

I like the VR selection and the sheer choice you've got. Lovely.

It's still Virtual On through and through, but it's got a completely different feel and play style to Oratorio Tangram so be warned about that...

If you're just playing this with a crap AI as your teammate (that you've got to drag through missions to upgrade O_o) then you'll find a lot of frustration early on. I'm on a survival style mission at the moment where you have to do 6 battles on one life bar and that's really, really winding me up right now because my AI keeps getting himself killed.

If you've got a mate to play it with though, and you're both into Virtual On, there's a lot of scope for tactics and teamplay here and that's where this is going to shine.

Just... be prepared for something completely different. Don't expect another Oratorio Tangram or you will end up disappointed
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

wont post my impressions just yet as I am quite drunk and still getting to grips with the controls...

but how the hell does one kill AJIM & GUERLAIN? They seem to hit you with unavoidable fire and take no damage themselves????

i miss my twin sticks also...anyone wanna lend me 300 quid for a new set?

Comment

You have to wait for them to change into the giant crystal. If you want to make it easier, you can collect crystals (hidden randomly during battles) and increase your health/damage.

Comment

I've never even seen Ajim and Guerlain yet so hey.

Comment

Originally posted by Loftgroover View Post
          wont post my impressions just yet as I am quite drunk and still getting to grips with the controls...

but how the hell does one kill AJIM & GUERLAIN? They seem to hit you with unavoidable fire and take no damage themselves????

i miss my twin sticks also...anyone wanna lend me 300 quid for a new set?
          Got some cheaper DC twin sticks in my sales thread

Comment

Was going to post in here before but I would've just ended up cannibalising what the review was going to say! Since it's up now;

Comment

been playing more of this today...now I have the controls down and have leveled up and synced with my a.i partner I am really enjoying mission mode!!

how did you manage to get the online cheevs tho? as I have only managed to find one lobby that didnt kick me!!

Comment

Just keep trying and you'll eventually find some lobbies where the host won't boot you. At least not right away.

Also, Japan is +9 hours so it's best to play in the afternoon.

Comment

Can you play this 2 players online or do you need 4?
                  I don't mind boosting with you loft for the achievements.

Comment

You need 4 - you can pair up with 1 mate and then look for 2v2 games which is probably the best approach. I get the feeling there will be less Japanese people on XBL than usual though

Comment

OK Goeman you are on add me on Baron Sqwelch!

Yeah I realise at the moment that it may be quieter online but it was exactly the same process as last time I tried....find players, populate game then a message in japanese saying "BUGGER OFF STUPID ROUND EYE N00B" and back to the dash. The one game I did get was 3 Italians

Comment

Working...
                      X