Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using a Netgear DG814 for Xbox Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using a Netgear DG814 for Xbox Live?

If so, please help me. I'm having a nightmare trying to get Xbox Live to work-it all works until it gets to finding Xbox live...and I've been told that ports are being blocked by my router, so have been on the phone with Microsoft and Netgear all day...and the fact that when calling the UK Netgear centre you're put through to a helpline in India doesn't help.

I've unblocked the ports as explained over the phone and they tried to access them and they were still blocked..and therefore Xbox Live just doesn't connect.

Can anyone help?

You could assign the xbox a static IP via its MAC address, then put that IP address on the DMZ of the router.

I've searched the web and found This O.k its using a different netgear router but i guess the menus are the same (or close except for the wireless bit i'd guess).

Comment

"You could assign the xbox a static IP via its MAC address" How do I do that?

That link didn't help unfortunately...most things applied to mine apart from the last bit, which is probably what I need to do to connect.

Comment

I have an 834, I'm sure it's very similar. How about a screengrab showing your firewall rule config screen?

Comment

Where do I find that?

Thanks for the help

Comment

Sorry i was half asleep when i wrote the original, forget the MAC address, just assign the Xbox a static IP address, then set this IP address as the DMZ.

The router in that link was a wireless one, so some the info is irrelevent.
            Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 26-06-2004, 21:54.

Comment

The bit on the webpage on the router (which you accesed via 192.168.0.1 or similar). Perhaps just capture the screen so we can see what you've setup?

Comment

Tell me if you need any other screens,

Here's a pic of the port forwarding page:

And here's one of the DMZ screen

My Xbox is set to that IP address you see and on the 2nd picture the IP is 192.168.0.99 but you can't see all of it in a picture.

Comment

You got it in the DMZ by the looks of that, everything should work fine... you need to make sure your Xbox is set up to use that address. Go into network config. (on the Xbox) and assign it the static IP, etc...

Comment

I use DHCP on all of my stuff around the house and everything works perfectly without having to forward any ports at all. Im using a DG814 too, so maybe you should give that a try, never had any problems.

Comment

Sorry for being an idiot, but what do you mean by you use DHCP and how do I do that on my Router?

Comment

Forget about DHCP, you don't need it. You have your Xbox in the DMZ of the router, right?? You don't need to forward any ports if this is the case (as shown by your screenshot) so all the configuration work needs to be done on the Xbox now.

Goto you Xbox and assign it a static IP, the one you have used in your DMZ settings. Put in the remaining IP details and your DNS settings are whatever your ISP DNS servers are.

There, you should be sorted.

Comment

Basically DHCP is where the router automatically assigns an IP to the system when its started up, in practice this usually means each system gets a 'sticky' IP.

As i've said i use it exclusively, as i can just add anything to my network and it works wonderfully with my DG814, on the LAN IP Setup page of the router config you can select it to act as a DHCP server, the little tick box.

Then all you'd do is go to the xbox and select automatically get IP and whatever else it asks. Link em up and it should work wonderfully

Also some ISPs change their DNS servers sometimes, the DG814 can automatically look them up, using the DMZ method would mean having to change the DNS settings sometimes. If you use DHCP it is all assigned when the system is booted up, meaning no farking around if something from the ISP changes at a later date.

Hope that helps
                          Last edited by Adrock; 28-06-2004, 09:12.

Comment

Normally you can point the DHCP'd address to the router, and the router will proxy the DNS to the ones assigned by the ISP.

Comment

If i remember correctly i tried it on my DG814 and it wasnt having any of it. Of course that could have been an oversight on my part but im not too sure

Comment

Working...
                              X