Xbox Live with NTL's Broadband service.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox Live with NTL's Broadband service.

I'm thinking of getting Xbox Live however I'm not too sure about how I should go about doing so. I have an NTL 1.5 meg internet connection and this is my main concern as I've heard you have to pay extra to actually be able to use Live through an NTL connection (something about getting a seperate IP), personally I think this is ridiculous, the connection costs an arm and a leg anyway however if I have no choice then I suppose I'll have to pay. Does anyone here use Live through NTL? and if so do you pay extra or did you just buy a kit and set it up yourself?

Cheers

Ignore the NTL blurb about needing to have another IP, It's a load of rubbish. Just get yourself a router like the linksys model and you'll be sorted. I have exactly this setup and it works fine.

Comment

internet sharing is what i use --- tried the router approach and the router kept crashing, forcing me to reset both router and set-top box

Comment

Strange . I know quite a few people with NTL and Linksys routers and they all seem to work okay. A few mates have wireless connections and again no problems.

Comment

Is a router absolutely neccessary, could I not just plug the modem into the Xbox and get playing, or does my computer need to be on and using the connection in order for Xbox live to work?

Oh and cheers to whoever moved this thread into the appropiate forum, strangely I have never noticed this one existed.

Comment

Plugging into the modem direct is fine. Sorry, I assumed you had a PC to connect as well.

Comment

Cheers for the information, hmm now to get a decent VGA converter so I can run my Xbox through it. Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know how good wireless connections are exactly and if they affect the performance of online gaming like Xbox Live.

Comment

Working...
              X