Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox live help with modem

Heres the story.

I was happilly going on my new xbox live on midtown madness 3 and rainbow six 3 having fun.

Until i decided to play Unreal Championships. It said I need to upddate the game files. So i clicked yes only to get an error saying thae xbox live is not responding 10 seconds later. It also did it with ghost recon. Seemed to be a problem with old games.

A quick ring to microsoft told me that my modem (CopperJet) is causing the problem and others have reported problems many times before.

Weve been having problems with this modem anyway. Sometimes you have to restart 10 times before the light decides to indicate that you can connect. Many others have this problem also. I suppose thats what you get for a free modem off freeserve :P (now wanadoo)

So. Basically, I want to ask this question. What modem do you use with xbox live (I can buy ADSL Routers, USB modems whatever).

Another question. And does that modem work FINE without problems on peer 2 peer networks or torrent networks?

I got one of the Argos Binatone adsl 2000 jobs (and a cheap 6 port hub) as the free usb modem that came with my bt broadband was giving me problems connecting to games esp Steel Battalion.
    My acvice steer clear of usb modems

Quote -
    Another question. And does that modem work FINE without problems on peer 2 peer networks or torrent networks?

Works fine with everything
    Last edited by huxley; 04-12-2004, 09:06.

Comment

Thanksyou. I shall look around for this one. Anyone else?

Comment

This is the newer version of one of the ones i use. Cheap too and ive had zero probs.

Discover the latest products from the biggest names in tech at EE Store. Find deals and offers on gaming, laptops, TVs, home phones, smart home systems and more

Comment

Hmmm. These firewall things can cause problems....

Comment

From help on these forums i went into the home page of it and did the virtual server thing to open the ports and help with my torrent speeds. Never had any firewall problems.

Comment

Go buy yourself a Netgear DG834

It's an ADSL modem, router, firewall and 4 port switch all built into one neat little box; and works perfectly with Xbox Live.

You could buy one from say:

or maybe pop into your local PC World.

Comment

Originally posted by tamago
                Go buy yourself a Netgear DG834

It's an ADSL modem, router, firewall and 4 port switch all built into one neat little box; and works perfectly with Xbox Live.

You could buy one from say:

or maybe pop into your local PC World.
                Oh, and I've used it to download plently of Linux ISOs using BitTorrent.

Comment

Yes. I've been considering the DG834 for a while now. Does the firewall cause any problems. Or is port forwarding always the fix?

Comment

I've just installed one for my brother and it works flawlessly out of the box with XBOX Live. I've upgraded the firmware to the 1.05 just to be sure.

Amazon sell the DG834 for about 62 quid delivered.

Comment

XBox Live worked 'out of the box' for me on the DG834 as well.

In truth there are plently of good routers out there. If you're after some decent reviews take a look on ADSLGuide:

- http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/

Comment

Working...
                      X