NTL Cable and Xbox Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTL Cable and Xbox Live

Does anyone here connect to Xbox Live via an NTL cable broadband connection?

One of my friends at work is looking to get xbox live for his son, but apparently NTL have told him he needs to upgrade to a 2MB connection (currently is 300k), and that there is also ?2/month 'gaming service' package he should also take.

Is this true, or are they just trying to take him for a ride!?

Cheers.

taking him for a ride, I had 300k connection, 2 PC's and Xbrick connected and no problems the extra ?2 a mont is for a separate IP address, if he doesn't download much (upto 3gb a month) you can phone NTL and get a free upgrade to a 1mb line (only downside is the bandwidth limit, although everyone seems to break it with no comeback from NTL). You can either swap the BB lead between PC and Xbox or buy a router.
    Last edited by VR46; 22-03-2005, 15:26.

Comment

Yeah just get the 2MB net connection, dont bother with the stupid xbox package.

Comment

Since the latest upgrade they are not going to police the caps initially, but they said they will eventually and if people go over they will offer them the option to upgrade or pay for the extra usage. They are going to release tools for users to monitor their usage.

I was using the 300K connection with a router for the PC and Xbox without any problems or letting NTL know, like what's been said before the online gaming package isn't needed.

I've recently upgraded to 1MB (3GB per month cap) and have a piece of freeware called NetMeter for monitoring the PC's uploads/downloads, but I don't know how much Xbox Live uses or how to montior the router's overall traffic.

If needs be I'll upgrade to 2MB with a 1GB per day cap.

Comment

Have recently upgraded my 300k connection to 1MByte and also bought a router at the same time. Have no problems using the pc and XBox live at the same time unless somebody's trying to stream/download videos. For that I'd probably need a 2MByte connection. Not sure why I'd need a seperate IP address? I remember NTL used to charge an extra ?5 for that. Still, I guess you wouldn't need a router!? I won't be upgrading to the ?25 2 MB service til I'm told I have to.

As for upgrading, just go onto www.ntl.com and upgrade on there. All you need is your user name and password.

Comment

BMExtreme is a handy free bandwidth usage monitor with daily, monthly totals blah blah (thanks Mr Ono)

can be found here;
            Bandwidth Monitor Extreme - keep track of internet and network traffic

Comment

Thanks the advice guys - my friend really appreciates it!

One last question though - do you need a specific type of modem/router if using NTL (cable) as opposed to BT broadband?

i.e. would the Netgear DG834G work with a cable connection?

Thanks again!

Comment

I use a Belkin one but am sure they are all fine with NTL, it was just AOL ? that insisted on certain type of router I think.

PS. you compared the prices with ebuyer.co.uk ?

Comment

Also use Belkin. 54g wireless wi-fi one , ( also has 4 ethernet ports). Just under ?50 from here: http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Produ...elkin%20router. Del was next day using standard del.

Comment

Don't forget that the old 300k service had 128k upload but now it's been upgraded to 1Meg the upload has dropped to 100k.

I'd suggest the 2Meg service as it has 200k upload and this router is highly recommended - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...922688-3682055

Comment

Originally posted by davidholliss
                      BMExtreme is a handy free bandwidth usage monitor with daily, monthly totals blah blah (thanks Mr Ono)

can be found here;
                      http://www.lp23.com/bmextreme/
                      Can it monitor all router traffic or does it just monitor the device it's installed on, i.e. a PC?

The NetMeter freeware I have does a great job, but only monitors the PC.

Comment

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting XB Live after my exams have finished. Just got a couple of questions though. I've got a 1MB NTL connection (going to be upgraded to 2MB soon) connected through the set-top box, and my PC is upstairs. How exactly do I connect the XB to be able to use XB Live? Does the router go upstairs next to the PC? if so how do I connect the XB? should I try and do it wireless if possible? thanks in advance

Comment

Where is your Xbox?

If it's in the set-top box room put the router there, if it's in the PC room have the router there.

Comment

My xbox is downstairs by the set-top box. So the router doesn't have to be near the PC?

Comment

No, just run a cable from the STB to the router, then from there to Xbox and PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X