Live questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live questions...

Erm, I've ended up with BT Broadband basic, now I've read the small type it says "not suitable for online gaming" which seems strange, does anyone here know whether I'm just being encouraged to get a more expensive package, well to be more specific does anyone actually use bt broadband basic for online gaming?

this is a continuation of another post, but in a better place!

I had a look at it and it seems like your bog standard 512 ADSL. thats what most people use.

Comment

that's what I thought at first but if you open up that comparison table (between different bt services) if you scroll right down to the bottom there is a cross in the box for online gaming and one in the box for connecting more than one computer or device.

by the way love the avatar.

Comment

They probably prefer gamers to buy a router from them rather than use a PC and ICS.

Most people on ADSL are stuck with the same 256k upload regardless of the download speed. My mate uses basic BT Broadband for live using ICS (internet connection sharing) with no problems.

Comment

ahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

they can't stop with their corporate waffle

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

that cheered me up tremendously, I've spent the last few days worrying my arse off over this.

But still I can't help but be concerned especially as I live pretty remote area (can't get more than 512kb) I don't want to end up making an expensive mistake. If they are saying one thing on the website but tecnolgically the reality is different, isn't that false advertising?

Comment

Probably not as the service they are providing will only support one device, unless you replace the modem or use ICS. One thing to watch out for is the monthly download limit. If your on the cheap service you have a limit of 1gb per month. I don't know how long it would last with web and gaming access. I'd guess the gaming access is quite small though.

Comment

hmm if I do do ICS i'm going to need some network cards... always wanted to set up a home network but never got round to it...

any reccomendations?

Comment

None really, budget ones are very much the same. As a personal preference i'd go for a named brand like 3com, but i've had some cheap ones in the past that do the job without any issues. You can get a few network starter kits that include cards, cables and a hub/switch (http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=112227).

I had an earlier version of the netgear starter kit and it was o.k.

Comment

Last post of the night, should have been in bed hours ago!

Very nice, thanks!

Loks like home networking is probably the best way forward, now need to convince the other members of the household that this is not a "bad idea".

My last undying concern however is this: would running ICS slow down any other internet connections quite considerably? I know alone ths wouldn't be a problem but if there were two users at once, or one on live and one surfing. I've read that ICS uses a lot of system resources.

My computer spec is something like this

RAM: 512MB
                  HARDDRIVE 70GB
                  I think the cpu is about 1.5 ghz?
                  anyway if you need it I'll go over the spec properly tommorow when I'm less tired!

Comment

Pass, sorry i've never looked into the speed issue. I can't imagine it would take up too many resources though.

Comment

Just buy yourself a wireless Adsl modem router and a usb dongle for your computer.
                      I bought a Belkin with free usb network dongle for ?69.99. This way, you don't need ICS, which in my opinion is a pain in the arse to have your computer on every time you wanna play some XBL.
                      Works like a charm on me Mac.

Comment

oh fantastic!

I'll have to go over some of these options in more detail! thanks for all the advice fellas.

Comment

Working...
                        X