BF2 - Tactics Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BF2 - Tactics Thread

Well, it seemed like a good idea to discuss what works and doesn't! A few random thoughts to get us started!

TANKS vs MAN

If you have no anti-tank weapons, then don't bother trying to shoot tanks with your machine gun! If you have a tank on Spawn, change weapon class to Anti-Tank, so that you can get rid of it.

EGGS IN ONE BASKET

Two guys together = 2 kills for one to the enemy. Try not to bunch if possible. When in the Huey or Truck, try and sperate a little when dismouting. The first thing to do is run for cover. Then assess the situation and follow your squad leaders commands.

ESTABLISH A PERIMETER

Many of the smaller maps involve quite hard work to take and hold a flag. By taking the flag, you will need to defend it for a while before being either: Pushed back, or Push forward. When holding the flag try and form a perimeter, so that all sides are covered. Try and use the scenery for cover. HumVees can be parked and the fress F2 to take the gunner seat. Though you are bullet bait, you can sustain quite some hits before going on foot. The Humvee gun is powerful and accurate. Similar tactics work for taking flags. Get 2 on the flag, and then provide cover and keep a perimeter.

JOIN A SQUAD AND HAVE A ROLE/S

To get the best out of the game, be sure to select a squad! Use B to talk to the squad. Learn compass points on a map. Use pilotage/compass points to describe enemy locations. i.e "The enemy in on the North side of the church roof" Later we can get screen shots to help us learn the maps. in 99% of the time, 3 players in a squad will defeat one loan wolf advancing. Try and make sure you have a support and medic in your squad. If you run out of ammo, you can press "G" to pick up causulties equipment. Don't be afraid to swap weapon class if the situations dictates. On larger maps be sure to wait for the majority of your team to spawn before heading out to battle. Work as a team and understand your objectives, and suspected Enemy locations.

Just a few random thoughts really. What say you guys?

/C_S

JOIN A SQUAD AND HAVE A ROLE/S .... most important one of the lot. when you join a team, squad up - it means you can communicate with your squad mates via voice comms (saying that though, we should have a dedicated voicecomms server in the next few days, so all the team can chat via that)

couple more to add

Squad leaders make commands

If you are a squad leader then you need to command your squad. Assign targets (attack this position, defend, move here etc etc), call for artillery strikes/UAV, supplies etc. I feel that the squad leader would be best suited to a support role (medic,engineer,support) rather than being a frontline trooper - the squad leader should always be just behind the action, so that the squad always has a spawn point ready and waiting.

Commanders make commands

The commander should be keeping an overview of the entire map. Constant scans should enable the commander to watch for enemy troop movements, remember that infantry can be taken out with artillery fire.

the commander should always highlight any enemies he sees on the scan (it shows up on the troops radars), and respond to any requests from squad leaders. if you see a group of enemies approaching a base, highlight that base with a defend or attack marker (click on the squad - then right click on the map position and use the list)

the commander should never be running about the map battling it out one on one with the enemy, he should be somewhere that he is safe. It might mean less action and less points, but remember that the winning commander gets his score doubled at the end of the round (on some public servers I have been at the top of the rankings using the commander - just by artillery strikes taking out nuff enemies)

Comment

Make sure the enemy team doesn't take over every point

If you are down to the last point and are getting owned, sneak out around the back and take another. Never rely on defending one point for a whole map because it will not work.

Comment

Anti Tank Tactics

probably a bit obvious but dont waste rounds on the tank front or turret. If you can, always aim for the rear, or at worst the sides. Remember firing a round could well give your position away.

If a tank is advancing on a base try and hide out front and take it out as it drives past, that way you get its rear and upset the driver.

Comment

Deployment of troops

This can be excuted many ways. 2 of my favourites below. Get a good pilot in a chopper and load up max 2 passengers. Fly them to the opposite side of the map for an air drop and parashute and have the pilot fly back so to disguise the drop off. Allows you to take the enemy on both sides if done properly and if the troops being dropped off are the right class. Having one as a Sniper is great.

Another is to be in any aircraft, jet is best. This is bit mental but seen it done so many times in vietnam... Basically get a good bit of height, pick a nice populated enemy base and just plough your aircraft right into the middle of it, lol. Absolutely amazing for creating panic and confusion Also if you exit the plane as it is just about to hit you can safely disembark and clean up the remains. Also good for getting to the other side of the mpa quick and coming from behind. Aint tried it in BF2 yet myself but was great for Vietnam, if a bit cheap

Sadly, I usually ended up being unable to avoid ploughing into the ground when flying a plane so my strategy was to pick a juicy target and try to ensure WHEN I crashed, not if, WHEN, that it was smack bang in the middle of an enemy base.

My pilot skillz have greatly improved now though... been watching old Airwolf re-runs

Comment

If you have a tank camping a spawn that you are due to respawn at, don't change to anti-tank as suggested above, switch to special ops. Stick a pack of C4 to it (it's relatively easy to sneak up on it when it's so close), take a safe distance and boom.

Anti tank rockets are slow to reload and usually require 2 or 3 shots.

Comment

Does anyone have any good tactics for long range weapons like the sniper rifle and the SA80 variant (or whatever the upgraded medic weapon is called)?

I can't figure out the hit system, are shots firing in a cone? I can line up a shot easily enough but it seems to be random as to whether it hits or not at distance. There's no real feedback and I can't tell if I'm firing too high or low.

Is it a case of just firing repeatedly (even in one shot bursts) until you hit or is there a better way of going about it?

Comment

Make sure your in the prone position, otherwise any long range shots are absolutely useless, also switch to single shot and save your burst/automatic for close quarters. Aim high, headshots count and are instant death, otherwise your looking at 2-3 hits to kill with the sniper, or 1 hit with the upgraded weapon.

I find sniper is also a good class for the lone wolf taking unguarded enemy positions. You can plant your claymores around the main access points to the flag, and lay prone out of sight while capturing, letting your claymores take out any attackers.

Squad leaders should also stay back from the action to an extent, allowing fallen team mates to spawn back on the squad leader and rejoin the action, this is most important when assualting an enemy position. If your squad leader dies, your attack fails, and your back at the closest base.

Comment

Might be a foolish question but is response "Ten-Four" a positive or negative answer?

Comment

+ive

Comment

Working...
                    X