X-Box Live and Microsoft Passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-Box Live and Microsoft Passport

I have pre-ordered an X-Box 360 and have convinced myself that I may try on-line gaming for the first time via X-Box Live. In any case, it looks as if the console will need to be connected to the network to download updates for emulating X-Box titles and to obtain other updates etc.

However, I am uncertain about the relationship between an X-Box live Gamertag and a Microsoft Passport account. I am not comfortable with the Microsoft Passport system and would prefer to avoid it if possible. I have read various bits and pieces about how Gamertags and MS Passport accounts can be "linked", but I still don't have a good understanding of how this works in practice. I am guessing that the relationship won't change with the advent of the 360, so can anyone here explain to me how this works on X-Box Live at the moment?

For example: if I want to pay to download non-free content, or renew a Live subscription by credit card, would I have to create a Microsoft Passport account? What aspects of the service, if any, require a passport account? For that matter, what type of info does MS require when you set up a Gamertag?

Thanks in advance for any info. you could give me on this.

Regards,

Jim

AFAIK you don't need a passport to use live at all. That would be stupid - not everybody who'll buy a 360 owns a PC/Mac.

If you want to fanny about with xbox.com etc though then I think you will.

What is it about the passport system you're uncomfortable with ? something I should know ?

Comment

I've been using XBL on and off since launch and I only needed to make a passport account when I wanted to check out Bungie's web-based stat system for Halo 2. I've also used that same account to link to my Gamertag for the 360. As far as I understand it, so far, passport is only needed for looking up XBL information in a web browser.

I gave no personal info signing up for the passport account, but linking it to my XBL account gives away my name and address from my CC info.

Comment

AS with any of the passport account things, its just a means of indentifying you from your email address. In regards to xbox live all you need it for is to access your Gamertag/Gamercard details on the xbox site or to check who is online. You can renew your actualy xbox stuff over the phone or in the xbox dashboard.

And when you network your PC to your xbox , you don't need a passport account or anything. The PC just tricks the xbox into thinking its plugged directly into an internet connection so you can connect to the xbox live.

Comment

Also if you REALLY dont want people/big brother to see all your played games/gaming achievements on xbox live and your gamercard etc you can put your acount on privacy and that means people will only see very basic info on your account and gamercard.
          i.e gamertag, points, what games you have played, when you were last logged onto live and acievements on those games.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My objection to Microsoft Passport is basically one of privacy. I'm not too bothered about other game players seeing my lame high scores, but I'm cautious about the amount of information I give to Microsoft. I'm just not comfortable with the idea and implications of MS Passport - it's probably more instinct than reason. I'm aware that the X-box "phones home" and I can tolerate that as long as it doesn't identify me.

From what you've said, it sounds as if I could use X-Box Live for on-line play without a Passport account, and the only service I would be missing would be web-based access to my details. If I bought a subscription pack elsewhere, would I still have to provide personal details to establish the Live account, or could I just choose a Gamertag and start using it, a bit like a pre-paid mobile?

Also, I'm quite surprised by Edame's statement:
            I gave no personal info signing up for the passport account
            My understanding was that Passport collected quite a lot of info as part of the registration process, but the last time I looked at their registration procedure was some time ago.

Regards,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
              Also, I'm quite surprised by Edame's statement:
              My understanding was that Passport collected quite a lot of info as part of the registration process, but the last time I looked at their registration procedure was some time ago.
              You can give it a lot of information, but you don't have to. Mine says I'm a student living in Beverly Hills 90210, so it isn't as if they check.

Why not just create completely ficticious Passport account and link your gamertag to that. Although the web based stuff isn't essential for Live by any means, it is really quite good. I really like the fact that I can see who is playing what via Messenger, or use the Xbox.com site to see when people last logged on.

Comment

Originally posted by Soi
                You can give it a lot of information, but you don't have to. Mine says I'm a student living in Beverly Hills 90210, so it isn't as if they check.
                Yes, there is that option I suppose. They would still have to have my correct details if I wanted to buy any downloadable content, but there's no real way around that, unless they were to use a third party handler for CC transactions, and there's no reason why they would want to do that when they can use the opportunity to identify an account holder.

Regards,

Jim

Comment

the credit card details don't have anything to do with the passport controls. Xbox live takes those details for itself

Comment

All you need for xbox live is a credit card. If you buy it elsewhere, you still need to put credit card details in, but they don't charge you (until the year subscription is up). Then you just buy a pack elsewhere for cheap before the year is up and enter the code to renew. You don't link to Passport unless you want to. I do, because then messenger alerts me when friends are online and what they are playing.

Comment

Here is a tip, your xbox.com forum name is now your gamer tag if you have your passport linked, but, you can also now create yourself a forum name and .net passport and effectively reserve that gamer tag for when the 360 arrives.

When the 360 does arrive and the amount of Silver accounts sky rockets, decent Gamer tags are going to be hard to come by. Reserve it now or repent later Grim Reaper137945296993

Comment

Thought I`d post this question here instead of creating another thread.

One of my friends brothers is having a problem creating his gamercard as It`s saying he`s to young. We`ve edited his date of birth on hotmail and .net passport but It doesn`t make any difference, any ideas anyone?

Comment

Clear out the cache and cookies

Comment

I'm sorry, but people like Grim here kinda annoy me. Oh no, Microsoft have some details about me!!

Comment

Tin foil hats all round. We'll be safe now.
                              Last edited by SubparMario; 07-11-2005, 06:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X