Noticed more Lag than usual, recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noticed more Lag than usual, recently?

I've noticed more lag than usual in my general online gaming since the update of Xbox live. Now I'm not being a reactionary idiot - in truth I don't think that that the update has anything to do with it, rather that it's just a timely coincidence - but other things have been taking place that I think might be having an effect.

Now we are hearing that people with uncontested connections (by this I mean the Xbox is the only machine connected to the ISP) are noticing lag whereas once they weren?t (particularly in the current pro-evo tourney). I myself have certainly experienced lag in SF2 for example when playing against people who's connections were perfect before.

This got me thinking. It would be interesting if people would post their current ISPs, their method of connection (modem, router etc) and whether or not their connection is uncontested when they play. For example, leaving your PC doing nothing is not an uncontested connection - PCs send and receive ****e over the internet the whole time regardless of what you think they are doing, and this obviously can cause lag.

I am interested in seeing if there is any clear correlation between lag and ISP, particularly in view of the fact that recently there have been a number of new services rolled out by various ISPs (Telewest's TV on demand, Homechoice's 1meg broadband 7 meg TV etc). Or if this is something that is due to a general increase in network traffic. Or if it is really a problem at all, and not all just in my mind.

Anyway I'll go first:

ISP: Eclipse
    Speed: 2meg down, 256k up
    Method: Router with built in modem
    Wireless: No
    Connection when playing: Uncontested
    Noticed general increase in lag recently: Yes

Your thoughts guys and girls?

Everytime they "update" xbox live it mess's with your Xbox's settings.

sometimes it takes your xbox awhile to get used to the new changes implemented, In Halo2 its been fine of late nothing major, however Pro Evo5 has got worse each night I've turned it on.

If i remember right Evo4 was ****e for a few weeks then they released a patch which sorted it.

ISP: NTL
    Method: modem
    Noticed general increase in lag recently: Yes (only in Pro Evo)

Comment

Not had any real problems recently bit of lag but not on my side - They're upgrading live etc for 360 it's an ongoing thing i'd expect it'll probably be like that for a few days.

ISP: TELEWEST
      Speed: 10Mb down, 384k up
      Method: Cable Modem Direct Connection
      Noticed general increase in lag recently: A little bit in pro evo that's all

Comment

I'm getting terrible lag in Halo 2 lately. Im guessing its the fact the Americans always get the bastard host (notice how they never realise how fast there speeds are when you ask them...).

ISP: TELEWEST
        Speed: 1Mb down, 128k up
        Method: Cable Modem Direct Connection
        Connection when playing: O.K
        Noticed general increase in lag recently: Some games from Halo 2

Comment

What a waste of time...just played Widegoat and could barely get a dragon punch out. ****ing crap.

ISP: AOL
          Method: modem
          Noticed general increase in lag recently: PRO EVO AND SF2...****ING ****

Comment

ISP: NTL
            Speed: 2meg down, 200k up (this'll be the same for you Gerry)
            Method: Router and cable modem
            Connection when playing: Usually have the PC connected but recently have been disconnecting the PC from the router.
            Noticed general increase in lag recently: Generally OK worst lag was with Marmite in London who's probably 30 miles away whereas my connection with Gerry and Yoshimax in Scotland was perfect. What's that all about?

Comment

Need to have a lag rant and this looked as good a place as any.

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat: OK I've put in a hell of a lot of hours on this so bound to have experience some lag but yesterday it was laggy as ****. Trying to go sniper and firing a couple of times into a stationary target but hitting nothing is probably the most annoying.

The rest is just proper trippy. Driving a vehicle for a while, then suddenly being pulled backwards to your actual position which is no doubt smashed into a wall and on fire - that just freaks me out. Also, after cheekily stealing the enemies helicopter I had some sort of weird missile lag where they came out in bunches right at the bottom of the screen. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!

Also pissed of with losing connection due to the wank EA servers and having to play that ****e Deadlypass map - why does everybody vote for it?? IT SUCKS!!!

I think the BF:MC honeymoon could well be over...

Comment

Working...
              X