bignige
    Destrukt2006
    Phillai
    MythJM
    Crimson Day
    Oblivion_6 (playing as nicolajennifer)

Quit Before They Started :

Peeveen

Stick yer name down if you're interested ! Possible prizes we'll need to see about that based on legalities etc 8)

Tournament mode of play, no limits, highest blinds & starting pots.
    Last edited by Yoshimax; 25-09-2006, 09:55.

If we're playing thru the XBox Live game, count me out. That UI makes me want to kill myself.

Comment

ill be up for some aciton

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax-UK
        Players so far :

Yoshimax
        Gibinho
        DataDave
        TikkaRoma
        Henrik Larrson
        Camster 99
        Peeveen
        Thurrabred

Stick yer name down if you're interested ! Possible prizes we'll need to see about that based on legalities etc 8)

Tournament mode of play, no limits, highest blinds & starting pots.
        I'm in bitches!

Comment

Just a polite reminder about not using this site to arrange games for real money/prizes. See John Beaulieu's original post here

No further warnings, this is serious stuff legal wise.

Comment

very interesting point. What legal implications are there? How much responsibility falls onto the forum itself rather than its members? If, and Im not trying to organise it, this were to be attempted with the added stipulation of having say a Paypal account , therefore proving age (?), or with a disclaimer about age is the forum responsible or the individual?

I dont think theres a legal precedent for this. Could be wrong
            Last edited by gibbon; 22-09-2006, 09:11.

Comment

We should all throw a prize in each (something unwanted, but not totally crap).

Comment

Fair do's - thought "free" stuff might have been ok - kinda liked the idea of the postie turning up with loads of free tat (and probably a **** in a megadrive case).

It's just for bragging rights for now.

Comment

put my name down it's free money fr you lot!

when is it btw?

Comment

No money involved destrukt - Just for laffs

Comment

Originally posted by gibbon
                      What legal implications are there? How much responsibility falls onto the forum itself rather than its members?
                      A lot.

It starts to come under the definition of remote gambling. That includes registering, taking payment, presenting a virtual game (which this site would become part of as you're arranging it here), or determining a result (which might also partly come about here).

It is also an offence to "invite, cause or permit" a child (anyone under sixteen) or young person (sixteen to seventeen year-olds) to gamble.

If, and Im not trying to organise it, this were to be attempted with the added stipulation of having say a Paypal account , therefore proving age (?), or with a disclaimer about age is the forum responsible or the individual?
                      Still not enough I'm afraid. Taking aside that Paypal accounts can be linked to normal bank accounts (which technically anyone of the age of 7 upwards can open in the UK) the above definitions alone are broad enough to cover the site.

I dont think theres a legal precedent for this. Could be wrong
                      Yep, there's lots of precidents and UK gambling laws don't allow much room for interpretation. 99.9% of remote and non remote gambling in the UK is still illegal without a Gambling License and when the new laws come into effect next year it's going to be even tougher.

Leave aside the fact that there'll be no end of hastle or upset if someone decides to welch on a bet and it's still a potential minefield. The site doesn't really need the Gambling Commission breathing down its neck.

Comment

Plus there are plenty of poker sites where you can set this up and play for real money - there's nothing stopping you upping the ante when you're actually playing, but there are too many potential hassles to allow it to go on via NTSC-uk, so we simply don't want it happening here please
                        Last edited by MartyG; 22-09-2006, 17:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101
                          A lot.

It starts to come under the definition of remote gambling. That includes registering, taking payment, presenting a virtual game (which this site would become part of as you're arranging it here), or determining a result (which might also partly come about here).

It is also an offence to "invite, cause or permit" a child (anyone under sixteen) or young person (sixteen to seventeen year-olds) to gamble.

Still not enough I'm afraid. Taking aside that Paypal accounts can be linked to normal bank accounts (which technically anyone of the age of 7 upwards can open in the UK) the above definitions alone are broad enough to cover the site.

Yep, there's lots of precidents and UK gambling laws don't allow much room for interpretation. 99.9% of remote and non remote gambling in the UK is still illegal without a Gambling License and when the new laws come into effect next year it's going to be even tougher.

Leave aside the fact that there'll be no end of hastle or upset if someone decides to welch on a bet and it's still a potential minefield. The site doesn't really need the Gambling Commission breathing down its neck.
                          Interesting reply. Thanks for taking the time.

By legal precedent I mean a forum facing legal action in regards to a minor taking part. Again Im fairly sure theres no precedent.

A poker game organised on here and taking part on xbox live or in someones home a would fall under 'private gambling' and therefore be allowed. If this forum was set up in order to arrange gambling events then falls under the act, if people use it for so it doesnt. The laws a wonderful thing isnt it.

2) But a person does not provide facilities for gambling for the purposes of this Act by virtue only of-

(a) providing an article other than a gaming machine to a person who intends to use it, or may use it, in the course of any of the activities mentioned in subsection (1)(a) to (c),
                          (b) providing, otherwise than in the course of providing, operating or administering arrangements for gambling or participating in the operation or administration of gambling, an article to a person who intends to use it, or may use it, for gambling, or
                          (c) making facilities for remote communication available for use by-
                          (i) persons carrying on any of those activities, or
                          (ii) persons gambling in response to or in accordance with any of those activities.

Just wondering about the specifics of it all really. Ive seen people on other forums orgainse games on ,as Marty points out, one of the many poker sites out there. Theres never been an issue and one of the forums being a football one that is very careful when it comes to legal matters (no fixture lists, no stream links, no youtube links, copyrighted material, in relation to this material far more strict than here).

Anyway like I said Im not trying to organise anything just interested as to how the law can hold a forum responsible for any illegal activity. For instance theres no way anyone would look at a pub as being culpable if someone stood up and invited a few people back to their house for a game of cards.
                          Last edited by gibbon; 22-09-2006, 18:30.

Comment

We simply don't want to take the risk though, to quote Spatial:
                            That's enough to decide we don't want such games organised on the site. We have discussed this at length in Admin, so this plus the potential ( even if not actual ) legal situation is enough to persuade us to prevent it.

Hopefully everyone understands our position on the situation.

Comment

add me in please... ive not played this yet and i'm ****e but i wanna give this a try!
                              when is this starting?

Comment

Working...
                              X