X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Nelson had this to say.

And Stepto had this to say.

I got these from links they posted on Twitter.

Comment

0?! How on earth did that happen. I need to get back on my game, clearly, it's been a month now of dreadful scoring :S.

Can just about top you on that one Chunky :P, 95 hours for 650gamerscore on Oblivion, yielding 6.82gpph. Also on Need for Speed: Carbon currently clocking 15 hours for 25 gamerscore, giving 1.67gpph.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
        Anyone want to confess now to having used the GOW2 achievement glitch? We'll be seeing your zero gamerscore next week anyway....

I remain sceptical that they'll nail everyone ... but it's nice to see the achievement police in action.

Comment

Oooer - they are amongst us So the glitch/cheat was basically to rank up more quickly than usual? (sorry, I've not been following the in's and out's of it)

Comment

I think you're getting mixed up, this is going to ban cheaters, and as that post clearly states, he didn't cheat, he glitched.

Because there's a difference, you know.

Comment

Thats right chunky, I used exactly the same glitch that was in Gears 1 to glitch the 50 and 100 rank chieves

Not my fault they didn't fix it for Gears 2

Comment

That's why I questioned this. There's a vast difference between using glitches and using hacks.

Comment

I think the distinction that MS/Epic are making here is that the cheat (or glitch) involves the use of another person's account, which isn't really so far away from using another person's saved game ... which as we all know, is a good way to get banhammered.

I guess they didn't do any bannings with GOW1 Seriously glitching cos it was impossible to differentiate cheaters from non-cheaters. With GOW2, where Epic are storing stats for every player and every game, they can easily see the people whose achievements don't match their gameplay record.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                    I think you're getting mixed up, this is going to ban cheaters, and as that post clearly states, he didn't cheat, he glitched.

Because there's a difference, you know.
                    Is there? Surely any glitch that:

a) benefits the player
                    b) could not be stumbled across by accident

is a cheat?

I was half tempted to do this, but I thought about it and decided it was against the whole point of achievements. Whoring and boosting is one thing, but this is something else. Glad I decided not to.

Comment

Here's a link to the official xbox page regarding this.

Gamerscore corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats View Post
                        Is there? Surely any glitch that:

a) benefits the player
                        b) could not be stumbled across by accident

is a cheat?

I was half tempted to do this, but I thought about it and decided it was against the whole point of achievements. Whoring and boosting is one thing, but this is something else. Glad I decided not to.
                        Apologies, i was being sarcastic. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say, i was only having a little dig at Mike as he seemed to be trying to say he wasn't cheating, but glitching, which to me are the same thing.

Comment

As far as I am concerned I didn't cheat. Did me getting the chieves stop anyone from winning a game against me - NO.

Not my fault that Epic didn't fix the glitch that was present in Gears 1

btw am I still to be reset and loads of people I know haven't been reset yet either

Comment

Originally posted by MikeF View Post
                            As far as I am concerned I didn't cheat. Did me getting the chieves stop anyone from winning a game against me - NO.
                            I think the official party line is that, by people falsely obtaining the top rank in the game, it greatly lessens the motivation for honest gamers to aim for it.

I can see why MS get uppity about it. MS use achievements and gamerscore as a draw to the xbox platform, and it definitely works. When people were openly flouting their gamesave/kernel-hacked scores before the first wave of "corrections", I expect a few honest achievement hunters thought to themselves "well, why bother?", and put down their controllers. In this way, it damages the platform. Not a HUGE amount, but some.

Not my fault that Epic didn't fix the glitch that was present in Gears 1
                            Hehe, I agree they should have fixed it, it's not like it wasn't well documented on a million forums, but still, as mentioned, it's hardly something that you can "stumble upon", and is only a tiny step away from using a gamesave.

Just out of curiosity, would you ever considering using a gamesave to get achievements?

btw am I still to be reset and loads of people I know haven't been reset yet either
                            Yup, it's weird. Epic and MS have all the data at their fingertips. A quick database query would show them exactly who has done this, but they seem to be only targetting certain people. Not sure what the criteria is exactly. Perhaps each account that is pending correction needs to be inspected manually just to make sure they haven't made a mistake.

Comment

I'm not trying to sound like a bit of a dick but why do you want an achievement saying you've reached the top level in a game if you haven't? It sort of devalues it for people who have done it properly.

Comment

Yeah I agree with Myth. It means nothing if you didn't really earn it.

Comment

Working...
                                X