Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you a good Live host? Post your results...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It ain't a new thing, happened back in June, but was kept low key due to other less happy things happening around the same time

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
      It ain't a new thing, happened back in June, but was kept low key due to other less happy things happening around the same time
      Yeah, I think I know what you mean. Well, here's to happier times, and once again congratulations on getting engaged.

Comment

Cheers Neege

Comment

Upload speed: 382 kb/s
          Ping tfl.gov.uk: 38ms
          Ping scotcourts.gov.uk: 48ms
          Ping nymag.com: 105ms

I've emailed my ISP and asked them to turn the Interleaving thingy off to improve latency.

However, I just looked at the stats on my router, and it says this:

Code:

[FONT=Courier New]ADSL Link         Downstream   Upstream [/FONT]
          [FONT=Courier New]Connection Speed  7616 kbps    448 kbps[/FONT]
          [FONT=Courier New]Line Attenuation  27 db        8.5 db [/FONT]
          [FONT=Courier New]Noise Margin      8 db         20 db[/FONT]
          Reading around, apparantly 8 db noise margin is pretty **** (the higher the figure, the better). I should have at least 10 db, prefereably somewhere in the twenties. Could this explain the line-drops I've been having recently? Can my ISP sort this? Is turning Interleaving off actually going to increase my woes?

Comment

Ring up Bt complaining your phone line is very quiet when you talk. They should them increase the line gain which may help with that.

Comment

Upload Speed = 1273kbp/s
              Ping to www.tfl.gov.uk = 14ms
              Ping to www.scotcourts.gov.uk = 92ms
              Ping to www.nymag.com = 88ms

Being in Manchester I find it amusing I ping New York faster than Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by weightgain View Post
                Upload Speed = 313
                Ping to www.tfl.gov.uk = 32 ms
                Ping to www.scotcourts.gov.uk = 57 ms
                Ping to www.nymag.com 112 ms

Thats on a Virgin media 10mg line
                Retested this today on my BT line ;

I'm not sure thats too good is it ??
                Last edited by weightgain; 23-10-2007, 11:16.

Comment

Stats updated

Comment

Originally posted by tyler View Post
                    Upload Speed = 1273kbp/s
                    Ping to www.tfl.gov.uk = 14ms
                    Ping to www.scotcourts.gov.uk = 92ms
                    Ping to www.nymag.com = 88ms

Being in Manchester I find it amusing I ping New York faster than Scotland.
                    I'd contact your ISP. It may be that they are routing your packets to Scotland via somewhere very strange. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Pobster View Post
                      Upload speed: 382 kb/s
                      Ping tfl.gov.uk: 38ms
                      Ping scotcourts.gov.uk: 48ms
                      Ping nymag.com: 105ms

I've emailed my ISP and asked them to turn the Interleaving thingy off to improve latency.

However, I just looked at the stats on my router, and it says this:

Code:

[FONT=Courier New]ADSL Link         Downstream   Upstream [/FONT]
                      [FONT=Courier New]Connection Speed  7616 kbps    448 kbps[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Courier New]Line Attenuation  27 db        8.5 db [/FONT]
                      [FONT=Courier New]Noise Margin      8 db         20 db[/FONT]
                      Reading around, apparantly 8 db noise margin is pretty **** (the higher the figure, the better). I should have at least 10 db, prefereably somewhere in the twenties. Could this explain the line-drops I've been having recently? Can my ISP sort this? Is turning Interleaving off actually going to increase my woes?
                      Turning interleave off decreases the amount of error correction your ISP does. This can lead to more dropouts.

As you identify, your noise margin could be higher. The lower the noise margin, the higher the bandwidth -as you are telling your line that it can use more of the singal. A higher noise margin, and you get less bandwidth but a more stable connection with better pings.

A more stable connection gives better pings because errors cause a packet to be resent. If there is an error with a packet, that packet needs to be sent again, which takes time.

You might be able to get your ISP to change your noise margine, or your could use a program called DMT (http://dmt.mhilfe.de/) to change your router's noise margin yourself.

I upped mine from about 6bd to 12bd when I turned interleaving off. This made my line much more stable, while reducing my downstream bandwidth by a couple of megs (but I stille have plenty to play with). The result is that my connection is very low latency and more than enough down and up bandwidth for my needs.

Comment

Added lots more info to the first post.

Comment

Upload Speed = 689
                          Ping to www.tfl.gov.uk = 22.526
                          Ping to www.scotcourts.gov.uk = 39.692
                          Ping to www.nymag.com = 92.695

Comment

Set up a router/modem the other day to replace my usb modem, and me pings have improved

Comment

Upload Speed = 123
                              Ping to www.tfl.gov.uk = 27ms
                              Ping to www.scotcourts.gov.uk = 37ms
                              Ping to www.nymag.com = 94ms

Comment

Working...
                              X