b--------------------b
    c--------------------c
    d--------------------d

Crossover eg:
    a-------------------d
    b-------------------c
    c-------------------b
    d-------------------a

**** examples tbh, but I think you'll get the idea.

My LIVE connection uses a patch cable from my PC to my XBOX.

Although my Network adapter is a weird one that allows the wrong type of cable to be used...

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary
      I think 300 K connection will not be ideal as it probably have 128K upload which mean laggy games more often. So I would upgrade asap to the next one up with 256K upload.
      afaik no NTL connection has 256K upload, which is a major PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by SegaSonic
        Although my Network adapter is a weird one that allows the wrong type of cable to be used...
        new gear is starting to do this, auto sensing ethernet ports... all macs have had this for a couple of years now

Comment

Thanks to all for your help.

I think I finally have enough knowledge to go forth and get Live.

Initially I'm going to use a direct connection along with one of the trial cards I have and see how the 300k bandwidth gets on.

I'll probably end up getting a router and increase to 750k though, so Live doesn't interfere with the PC and vice versa.

The router will most likely be the Linksys BEFSR41 and I'll probably just get a cheap network card and cables from ebuyer.com.

Comment

i used to have that router before upgrading to a Wireless G Linksys model. I like Linksys gear a lot.

Comment

I thought about wireless and the practicality of it, but for the its use and location of the hardware I think wired will suffice.

That said, it doesn't cost much more to go wireless and the Linksys WRT54G also has a 4 port 10/100 switch for wired.

Does a wireless router come with a 'transmitter' to plug into the ethernet port on the device you want to use wireless?

If so I assume additional 'transmitters' can be bought seperately?

Or am I off track.

How many wireless connections can a router support?

Comment

You'll either need a wireless LAN card in your laptop or PC, or a game bridge to plug into your Xbox / PS2.

And they don't come with a router as standard, no.

Comment

Originally posted by sam1981
                  You'll either need a wireless LAN card in your laptop or PC, or a game bridge to plug into your Xbox / PS2.

And they don't come with a router as standard, no.
                  Thanks for the quick reply.

I just did some research on the net too.

It's all starting to make sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X