Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plan is to level the BLM up to about 15 (currently on 13) then switch back to THF who is currently lvl 19. That way the sub will be useful all the way up to lvl30 when I plan to switch over to NIN/THF combo.

Thinking about it, perhaps my good experience with the BLM would not be replicated by newcomers. I had the benefit of playing as a THF for 6 weeks + so managed to accumulate significant funds which has meant I could buy all the best equipment and spells. A newcomer would not have that benefit.

Comment

Thinking about it, perhaps my good experience with the BLM would not be replicated by newcomers. I had the benefit of playing as a THF for 6 weeks + so managed to accumulate significant funds which has meant I could buy all the best equipment and spells. A newcomer would not have that benefit.
      That's quite true I think. My current characters history has been quite a turmoil. But when I started out as an Elvaan RDM I already had the benefit of having played in my starting town with my previous deleted character (Marvelon, Galka Monk, RIP). That helped. But when I got tired of RDM'ing I switched to WAR and again benfitted from previous knowledge. It seems every time I start from 1 I get better at it. I've got THF at lvl 5 (moment of weakness) And I look forward to get my WAR-joblvl to 30 so I can start from 1 yet again as a Paladin : D

Comment

i am currently hunting for Notorious Monster in Vana'Diel. apparently it is one of the best way to make money in the game. but there is a catch, most areas where NM appears are heavily camped by japanese and high lvl american players. but who knows you might get lucky...

spent over 2 hours waiting for a NM to appear, clearing all the mobs at the same time so that the NM can hav a spawning slot. then one taru who was just passing by suddenly stumbled to the NM i was waiting for and the taru got the item drop. i was so gutted but still congratulated the taru.

but there will be other time...other opportunities...

Comment

just another quick noob question. for the play online registration have you all put in fake usa addresses?

Comment

Kind of - you get two opportunities to put in addresses - one for the person registering the game, and the other for the person with the credit card. You have to make up an address for the game registration, but for the payment registration you can use pretty much any country in the world (and that's where the statement is sent to)

Comment

Cute pic of me and Poochyena (C' / Rarehero's younger brother) waiting for the boat to Mhaura.

Comment

Tobal you inspire!
                Here's one of me on Qufim - Aaaah the joy of fighting BIG things

And Here's one of me (with team) in the Yuhtunga Jungle. I actually took the snap because of the positioning of my scythe, but I caught a nice spell effect too.

Comment

woohoo!

Comment

I'm getting more into team combat now... last night i spent a good 2 and a half hours on but only got 200 exp

I joined a squad but first our ninja irresponsibly took on an incredibly tough goblin and i took the hit for the team (just like in cs - I have more guts than sense with that provoke command). Then, after a handy japanese player revived us, we took on some other very tough fiends and I took the, now customary, beating of my life

but it was all good fun. Squad mentality takes the game to a whole new level!

Comment

Hi everyone! I can hardly contain my excitement. I'm doing the Taru panic boogie in my seat. IGN.com's FF XI Vault has published my Fan Fiction!! 8) 8)

Or go to the main page, and click on 'The Other Side' under player stories in the nav bar on the left.

Comment

There's a disturbing rumour passing around Vana'Diel. It started out as curious whispers, wondering if the murmourings were true, and over the weeks, more and more sources have confirmed it as ineveitable. I've tried to dismiss it, ignore the unconfirmed talk and continue on with my Vana'Diel adventure but it continues to build and I have the feeling something bad is coming.

Player vs. Player

I admit that when I first heard about FFXI all those years ago, I couldn't believe that PvP wasn't included. However, the more I read about the game, the more I realised it wasn't necessary. Now after playing for over 2 months, I am safe in the belief that this was the right option to take on Squaresoft's part. Players are generally friendly and helpful to each other. Passing WHM, if he notices a a fellow player healing in a densely fiend populated area, it is not uncommon for them to cast Cure, Shell and Protect to speed up their fellow travellor's revival. Similarly, find yourself in a fight that you cannot win, a quick press of the Call for Help command is likely to see a multitude of Warriors and Monks descend on your position and lay a beating down those Orcs that thought of you as easy prey.

I fear this level of co-operativeness may soon disappear when PvP is introduced.

I envisage a situation where I am happily traveling along La Theine Plateau, when I am suddenly jumped by some level 50 Ninja who proceeds to kick my ass, steal all my items and Gil and impose a 10% exp penalty on me.

I can guarantee with 100% conviction that the day that happens, is the day when my Content ID for the game is cancelled. I really can't understand why Square-Enix want to incorporate this feature.

So, what does everyone else think? Am I worrying unnecessarily? Have I misunderstood how the PvP aspect is going to be implemente? Or am I not alone in my fears of this aspect?

Comment

Ah C' yes PvP has been coming for some time, but I think you have gotten the wrong end of the stick..

As far as I understand it, PvP will only happen in a controlled area, and both Parties participating have to agree before any fighting can take place. I would imagine it would be like Trading with someone - Akasha wishes to kick your arse, do you accept? haha that kind of thing.

There has been much speculation on various forums about how this will be made fair.. ie will there be a level cap? What about if a WAR wants to fight a WHM? That kind of thing... also if a Party of 6 is fighting another Party of 6, how will this be fair? ie, the Party that takes out the other Parties Mages would surely win, or wichever WHM casts Silence on the other Mages would win.. would Provoke still work in the same way to keep the fighting away from the Mages? etc etc.

Also I think it might only be related to Conquest Points, ie Nation vs Nation.

However do not worry C' no-one lvl 50 Samurai is going to be able to cut down your lvl 8 Theif in one swing while you are chatting with a friend.

Here is a good forum where this is being discussed at length:

Comment

Yeah, I've been reading that forum for the last hour whilst at 'work' and to be honest, it hasn't exactly made things any clearer. The only thing they seem to agree on is that they don't agree.

Balance wise if it was one-on-one there just seems to be too much inconsistency. How is a BLM supposed to fire off his spells if he keeps getting hit with Melee attacks interuppting his casting all the time?

Result = 1 dead mage.

I have to be honest, the idea of having to consent to a fight is somewhat ridiculous. What next, I go around with a flag above me, but instead of indicating 'Looking for Party' it says 'Looking for Trouble' Seriously I honestly cannot think of any good aspect to come out of it.

The arena idea is the only one that even has a remote chance of being workable I think. Perhaps, allowing players to place bets and watch fights and having big prizes in tournies or something. But even then it requires s much working that I don't think it's worth it. You'd have to segregate fights into different levels otherwise it ain't worth newcomers/mid-term players bothering as someone at th level cap is likely to trounce everyone.

My concerns remain I'm afraid

Comment

I find the easiest way to get experience is to fight really low level monsters that only give out 12 exp. There are certain areas of maps where loads of enemies congregate and respawn, since I'm only lv 7 for me it's just at the entrance to W. Sarutabaruta. You can keep killing them over and over getting exp. I got about 800 in 15 minutes, which at my level is pretty damn good. Plus, you get loads of crystals, I got a couple of stacks of wind and earth ones.

Comment

I've just had a thought. PvP, but not in a direct fight but as a competition. Example:

A you're a 25 BLM/RDM being challenged by a 28 WAR/MNK. Of course this isn't fair. But I assume the people at Square have enough knowledge to do the following: Lower you both to certain levels so that you're equals in a battle situation. Then the game spawn each of you an 'Even Match' Enemy. Person who kills it quickest wins!

Sounds like fun to me

Comment

Working...
                                X