No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy XIV news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got in with no further issues last night and played for 2-3 hours. My initial thoughts are that it feels very familiar (to XI which is what I hoped for) but the mechanics are VERY different and it hasn't clicked with me in any way yet. The major point so far is that performance on my PC is not good even at a modest 1280x800 resolution which is making the gameplay & interface feel sluggish.

My initial Class choice was Thaumaturge in Limsa Lominsa on Wutai. This weekend I think I need to look at optimizing performance and trying a War Class to get an idea if this is something I will buy at launch.

@Tsingtao, take a look here http://portforward.com/ for info on Port Forwarding.

Comment

Ok worked out how to forward ports on the router however it gets upset with the ranges you've given rep as it say they overlap.

or am I reading what rep has put up wrong?

Actaully that got it thanks so much for the help, up to 30Kpbs downloads now with that change!

In fact make that 290Kbps, I'm glad someone still knows how computers work I seem to have lost my mojo...
      Last edited by Tsingtao; 03-09-2010, 09:51.

Comment

I only had to forward UDP/TCP: 55296 (which on my router is the range 55296-55296) to my PC to get it to work.

Comment

Well it's all good, right now I have 3 hours of downloads to go...

So which server are we going to live on?

I'm hearing Figaro from AaD on Facebook where are we all?

Comment

I went on Wutai last night as per DJ's post but going to create a new character tonight so happy to go with anything as long as were all the same.

Comment

Ah righty I think we need a consilidated view on this one, can we migrate at the end of beta or is that it we're fixed?

Comment

I joined Mysidia this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsingtao View Post
                  Ah righty I think we need a consilidated view on this one, can we migrate at the end of beta or is that it we're fixed?
                  You start from scratch in the Final on any World but you can only keep your name if you go to the same World as in the Beta.

Ok, so far DJ, Rep and Tsing have all indicated different Worlds. There has been no comment from Rare, Wedge or Tobal on a preference.

I have no preference so will follow the crowd.
                  Last edited by talizker; 03-09-2010, 11:16.

Comment

Originally posted by talizker View Post
                    I got in with no further issues last night and played for 2-3 hours. My initial thoughts are that it feels very familiar (to XI which is what I hoped for) but the mechanics are VERY different and it hasn't clicked with me in any way yet. The major point so far is that performance on my PC is not good even at a modest 1280x800 resolution which is making the gameplay & interface feel sluggish.

My initial Class choice was Thaumaturge in Limsa Lominsa on Wutai. This weekend I think I need to look at optimizing performance and trying a War Class to get an idea if this is something I will buy at launch.

@Tsingtao, take a look here http://portforward.com/ for info on Port Forwarding.
                    In the video settings try setting the Multisampling to zero, then in the graphics tab make sure Ambient Occlusion, Depth of Field are off, then you could also try dropping the texture boxes by one each as well.

As for the gameplay we need to get some partys to see how it works, i've yet to do anything in the game with more than a few people in a party.

Comment

You start from scratch in the Final on any World but you can only keep your name if you go to the same World as in the Beta.

Ok, so far DJ, Rep and Tsing have all indicated different Worlds. There has been no comment from Rare, Wedge or Tobal on a preference.

I have no preference so will follow the crowd.
                      I'm gonna make a test character in the interim on the same server as Rep, but i'll probably make more than one character anyway checking out the starting zones.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewl View Post
                        In the video settings try setting the Multisampling to zero, then in the graphics tab make sure Ambient Occlusion, Depth of Field are off, then you could also try dropping the texture boxes by one each as well.

As for the gameplay we need to get some partys to see how it works, i've yet to do anything in the game with more than a few people in a party.
                        Thanks man, will take a look at these later.

Can I suggest that we all(ish) choose the same World and starting City at least for the Beta to get some experience on party mechanics etc?

I started last night in Limsa Lominsa on Wutai but can re-roll tonight if needed. Limsa Lominsa feels a lot like Bastok and the first area outside like Konschtat Highlands.
                        Last edited by talizker; 03-09-2010, 11:26.

Comment

Most of the servers are full, they've added new ones. Wutai is about 90% capacity, so is Trabia. Mysidia is 100%.

I've created a new character on Istory. Prob best not to sit on it the way the servers are filling.

Comment

Thanks man, will take a look at these later.

Can I suggest that we all(ish) choose the same World and starting City at least for the Beta to get some experience on party mechanics etc?

I started last night in Limsa Lominsa on Wutai but can re-roll tonight if needed. Limsa Lominsa feels a lot like Bastok and the first area outside like Konschtat Highlands.
                            Sure, that sounds like a plan.

Rep what city did you choose?

Comment

I selected the forest one, didn't want to opt for Limsa Lomina for a third time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rep View Post
                                I selected the forest one, didn't want to opt for Limsa Lomina for a third time.
                                I'll do the same, I don't think I can go through the Limsa opening again for me it would be about the 8th time.

Comment

Working...
                                X