• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C' View Post
    I'm actually ashamed of some of the pieces of equipment I'm still using
    Same.

Comment

The major issue I have is getting a higher than level 8 weapon. No NPC's sell any archer equipment above that level, and to be able to get a bow that is near my level (level 21 bow, as the previous us around 13), it seems not a single person has been able to figure out how to make it.

Comment

I think the issue with gear is probably something we have to expect being in the game so early. I would imagine early XI players probably had similar difficulties. Because it’s much easier to level up DoW/DoM classes than DoH, players will outlevel the gear that crafters are actually able to make. You may be lucky and get a good upgrade from a leve quest but now we have gear degradation to deal with as well. What’s the point in having a high level piece of equipment if no one has ranked up high enough to repair it for you?

It’s this reason that I try to avoid doing anything on my PGL now unless I absolutely have to. I still do 8 levequests every time they refresh as otherwise it’s just wasted gil but other than that I don’t want to level up any faster. I spend most of my time crafting but even then I feel like I’m gaining ranks slower than I should be.

The big issue is that it’s almost like S-E have designed the game to encourage mediocrity. Every craft class has a tool upgrade around rank 12 but they need approximately rank 21 in a different class to make. This means that some people somewhere need to get to rank 21 with a lower quality tool. It’s a very strange design choice.

Comment

Great points Rare and being an early player and discovering the world and how it works are a real positive. I think it will be beneficial (for me) to put more time into DoH and DoL and see if that naturally leads to a more satisfactory solution - heck I may as well spend 90mins doing this than 90mins getting frustrated looking at retainer in vain! Maybe using the Crafting thread to more closely co-ordinate LS efforts in order to gear us all as effectively as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsingtao View Post
            Right I've registered the service and added the code for the onion helm. I've just created my SE members account thing as well and added the codes for FFXIII and FFXIV...

Now do I have to link the SE account and the members account some how so it picks up the FFXIII registration as it doesn't have a code in the same way as the onion helm. I'm assuming the FFXI is automatically picked up by the service as its registered on the SE account.

Deleted my beta account and registered a nice new one so almost ready to log in once I get these questions sorted.
            I'm not sure exactly what stage your at Tsing but I followed the following which guided me through the whole process smoothly:

1. Go to https://secure.square-enix.com/account/ and login.

2. Select 'Select Service' under 'Select Options' and choose FFXIV. Click 'Add Service'.

3. If you haven't before you confirm personal details then enter your FFXIV registration code off the back of the game manual.

4. A number of new options appear along the main menu down the left hand side of the screen, under the heading, 'Payment and Service Fees'. Select 'Register / Update Card information'. It takes you through a procedure that sets up payment authorisation for transactions made on your account.

5. You are taken back to the main menu. For a second time, select 'Select Service' under 'Select Options' and choose FFXIV.

6. Under Active Service Accounts, Final Fantasy XIV is listed. Choose the option next to it - 'Options List'. Next to Character, Choose Add New Options. You then activate character slots. Note you don't pay anything for the first month, so you can choose 8 character slots and not pay anything. Cancel some of them before the end of the first month or it gets very expensive, though.

7. Any bonus item codes are entered in the same way and place as you entered your FFXIV game activation code in section (2) above.

Comment

Final Fantasy XIV Battle Tracks and Field Tracks are now on iTunes for the pocket friendly price of ?6.32 each.

Comment

First big site to review the game. Gave it 4.0 / 10. Can't say I disagree with them really. I've cancelled my account now. Just really can't get into it at all.

Comment

That's a super harsh score IMO. Sure, there are frustrations, but in no way does it deserve a score that low. I would say 7/10 at least.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                    http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalf...14/review.html

First big site to review the game. Gave it 4.0 / 10. Can't say I disagree with them really. I've cancelled my account now. Just really can't get into it at all.
                    Same, I've moved on to freeplay LOTRO. Fun and no sub.

Comment

The fact I've logged in every day since launch means that there is definitely a hook with me, and I do have fun when I play (mostly with crafting if I'm honest though), but despite this I can't really disagree with the general consensus of the review.

There's a lot of problems with the game as it is that simply cause frustrations from the slow UI and the downright retarded market wards/retainer system. Even little things like not being able to sort our inventory hint that really, the game should have had its official launch at the proposed PS3 launch date early next year. Yes, S-E will argue that they will be updating the game on a regular basis hopefully fixing many of the issues and adding content and I have no doubt that they will. But at the same time, this is a retail release with monthly subscriptions kicking in two week's time. The reviews can only rate what is there right now and for that reason, I cannot disagree with many of the points raised.

The review got me thinking as despite agreeing with a lot whilst reading the review, I find myself playing hours a day, and I wondered why. I do think the linkshell group has helped. I'm pretty sure if I'd have played pretty much solo without any community at all I'd have quit after a couple of days as well. But also want to be ready for when the inevitable updates do it so I can be at taking part in new activities as they happen, not always on the outside constantly playing catch up like I was in XI.

Comment

To be fair to XI you did for the longest, longest time keep peddling the dead duck called ninja which SE have no idea what to do with, then went and choose another gill drain job in Ranger which are still a top tier job you could have easily taken to 85.

Anyway back FF14, going to give it one more chance this weekend an install it on my old system after moving all my steam stuff to the new PC to make room, if this carry's on crashing im giving up not even able to have a full gage on wether i want to pay to play or not, from the brief time with the game i love the art and style, the combat seemed alright and crafting while fun in a short bursts due to the large exp buffs+leve's i found that needing million other bits'n'bobs and abilties to make even the lowests of the low items super f***ng s**t especially without AH system, and the repair system can gtfo to.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                          To be fair to XI you did for the longest, longest time keep peddling the dead duck called ninja
                          Ice cold man!

Comment

Created a character last night and had my first real look, very underwhelmed is the initial impression. The damn thing rail roads you through scripted cutscenes for the first 30 mins and by then I was bored. The interface is awful, I would ahve though FFXI would have taught them but it is deathly slow.

Not really experienced any more of the game yet seems like free roaming is pretty much out of the question. I couldn't seemt to leave the city though I'm sure another 30 minutes of talking to NPCs will likely fix that.

Well will try again later have to recreate the character anyway as I've just found my armbands code in my hotmail box and I think you have to recreate to get them. Another pretty poor effort that, I'd agree this is not real a release candidate let alone a production game this feel more like late alpha.

Comment

My experience both in the Beta and the Final was 1 of 3 fantastic opening cinematics with a brief basic combat tutorial in the middle. Then no more than 5-10 minutes talking to a couple of NPC's in an instance (which sets up the first mission) until you can go anywhere. Weird...

Are you playing on a pad Tsing? That is clearly the preferred choice (although menus are slow unfortunately).
                              Last edited by talizker; 08-10-2010, 07:01.

Comment

Tsingtao: you probably did what I did. The exit isn't to the north of the city. Go west from the bar with the guild leves and go down a level, keep going that way and you should find the exit.

Comment

Working...
                                X