Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to make my feelings clear, I'm still not hugely convinced by this, Maybe the 4 was abit harsh, but it raises valid criticisms that I agree with and I'm amazed more people haven't been put off with.

It was never going to be all singing, all dancing with years off content, I've defended it time and time again during the beta stages. What I didn't expect was a half finished game, it's shockingly developed, missing the most basic functionality which already exists in some form. Auto-sort, there's a method there to stack items, so why not sort them? Linkshell functions, there's no method to set a message, you can't promote or kick unless you're stood next to someone. There's no search, no party flag option, the chat menu no longer exists. All functionality that existed in XI, would it have been that hard to implement?

Design choices are barking mad, although I might be alone on some of these, needless extra steps with things like crafting, painful menu loading times, has anyone tried to toss an item or sell one? Crafting recipes are piss poor, you'd have to design your own path which results in a Class 15 piece of gear passing though every Discipline of the Hand on the way.

I've also been experiencing the same crashes as Tobal, this doesn't run on anyone's PC and we're rigged up-to the eyeballs. Any other game and you'd be told to upgrade, to what exactly? The hardware failures are my biggest niggle at the minute.

As many people know I like organising things and party style play, maybe It's because there's nothing to do or organise at the moment above about two people. It's the polar opposite of the XI criticism where above level 10 you needed a party to accomplish everything. It's been stated in dev interviews that XIV focuses on a "One Versus Many" style of play, they'd have fooled me. Mobs will either destroy you in a single hit consisting of 4 digits, or drop in about 4 seconds.

There's so many negatives it's hard to think of anything positive right now, the game doesn't seem to have progressed past Beta 3.

Comment

One of the things which has caused me to quit rather than wait and see is the fact that a lot of things are broken from a design point of view, not just bugs or things that can be tightened up.

The fact that NPCs never give you directions, they tell you a location and give you no clue where to go. That's something pretty extensive to be patched.

Laggy server side menus. Part of the core design, can't see it being patched (although they could some cache menus I suppose). The pointless extra stages and confirmations could easily be patched though.

A proper recipe system so that you don't have to have a website open to craft. Very time consuming to implement now.

unintuitive controls. Another 'redo from scratch' element.

Copy and Paste field design. Hard to see them fixing this now, way too intensive.

Individually, some of these things could have been fixed post launch. All together? Whilst people are actively playing it? Without a beta server system? No chance of them being fixing any time soon.

The game as it is right now is what I'd expect from a game in closed beta. I was worried about the speed of its release since it was first unveiled, it's actually worse than I had feared. Worse still, Square Enix don't seem to be reacting to player's concerns.

Comment

FFS, it sounds like they've killed FFXI with this.

I remember the XI beta, not that I'd played it, but there was a lot of praise about it.

Comment

Killed XI? Don't you mean XIV?

Comment

Well this is strange, I have been using my 3 mobile to get online lately, it works but it drops connection so often, I get error messages alot so I ordered a Dongle which is now activated and working, its odd though as on my mobile I get 1meg ish download and a 130-170 ping, not great but enough to do the job.

Now the dongle seems to hold a much more stable connection but im only getting 0.30 download and a ping of about 300, hopefully that will be enough but will have to see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by InvisibleKid View Post
              Killed XI? Don't you mean XIV?
              No, I mean they killed XI - XI was going fine and dandy, then the hype started for XIV, then they exploded XI with last-ditch, massively overdue content, then XIV dies because it sucks the big one...

Will people go back to XI?

Comment

Looks like we did get a version update with the maintenance this morning.

[Important Update Details]
                - Made an adjustment to how experience points are distributed amongst party members. Instead of dividing a total number of experience points by the number of players who participated in the battle, it now distributes the total amount of experience points equally amongst all players in the party.

- The chat log will no longer close while entering text during the following processes:
                - When viewing a bazaar
                - When setting up a bazaar
                - During gathering
                - During synthesis

- An issue wherein a player would be unable to progress with the quest "Futures Perfect," if they join a party during the cutscene has been addressed.

- An issue wherein a player would be unable to start a levequest if they initiate a teleport at the same time has been addressed.

- Implemented a countermeasure for an issue which prevented players from gaining skill points during battle.

- An issue wherein the FINAL FANTASY XIV client would shut down when a player adds or removes a new party member has been addressed.

- An issue wherein players would take damage when executing a macro command for an area of effect action that is centered on themselves has been addressed.

- An issue wherein messages in tell, party, or linkshell chat would not go through properly has been addressed.

- Implemented a countermeasure for an issue where an item would not display properly under a certain condition.

- A rare issue wherein an item data would get corrupted during a server outage has been addressed.
                * We have confirmed that if a player attempts to put this corrupted item into their bazaar, it would cause the server to go down. We are currently in the process of addressing this issue, but until then, we have temporarily restricted the bazaar function for players with these corrupted items. We will be providing an update on this situation once we have a better idea on when the the actual fix will take place. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

- An issue wherein the login queue would not work as intended during server congestion has been addressed.

- Implemented a countermeasure to prevent server outages under a certain condition.

- Other miscellaneous issues have been addressed.
                * The previously announced improvements to the market system are currently in the final preparation stages and will be ready by the version update next week. Please keep an eye out for future announcements regarding this matter.
                At least the EXP and chatlog issues have been fixed.

Wish I knew what this item was that you could put in your bazaar that caused the server to crash. That is as Epic as a Fail can get!

Comment

Some battle system information I never realised.

Comment

Im so glad about the chat log update, been a pet hate of mine since the get go. Also nice to have the exp shared out too.

Looking forward to the market place system update also.

I know it has its faults but im really "in to it" now, and it can only get better. At least SE are updating.

Also like Rare said a few posts back, its nice to all be at the same place and moving up together as an LS again to be ready for up and coming updates!!

Comment

I'm also really getting into the game, but in moderation. I'm only playing a few hours a day, and definitely getting what I want out of it so far. There are still some damned annoying things, but it's enjoyable doing some leves, partying, and then some crafting.

The only thing that's really bringing it down for me is I can do some level 20 leves easy, and others one hit me. There needs to be a recommended level in there for each of them.

Also, they need to fix that some enemies of the same type in the same area can give you 500 job exp, and the next will give you only 30! They're the same color enemies and everything, so I don't understand how that is such a huge variance.

Comment

Removed the image, as it wasn't actually in game, it was just someone who made a custom emote and pretended it was actually a description in game.
                        Last edited by elaniel; 09-10-2010, 07:45.

Comment

What the...?

Comment

Ah... it seems it was a custom emote someone made, not actually something in game.

Comment

Right recreated Tsing to get the Armbands from FFXIII, I've started adding folks to the friendlist.

Got the controls sorted out today now I just need to get handle on how to play.

Tsingtao Seraphite / Gladiator / Limsa Lominsa

Where's Sandy when you need to create a new character eh?

BTW game seems stable on my set up runs smoothly and so far no major glitches. Was a bit jumpy at lower res but now I've increased it seems fine.
                              Last edited by Tsingtao; 10-10-2010, 09:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsingtao View Post
                                Right recreated Tsing to get the Armbands from FFXIII, I've started adding folks to the friendlist.

Got the controls sorted out today now I just need to get handle on how to play.

Tsingtao Seraphite / Gladiator / Limsa Lominsa

Where's Sandy when you need to create a new character eh?

BTW game seems stable on my set up runs smoothly and so far no major glitches. Was a bit jumpy at lower res but now I've increased it seems fine.
                                Nice! One of the sack holders (Rep, El, Wedge, Rare, DJ etc) will hook you up with a Rargh pearl.

Comment

Working...
                                X